Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHA Massive Away Support

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
That would make a good quiz question - which football league club is closest to the geographic centre of England?

I don't know the answer BTW, I'd hazard a guess at Leicester but Mr Google hasn't thrown any light on it.

Leicester is the answer I have heard given to this question in the past, apparently their away following is pretty poor though.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Great stats, keep them updated and while you're at it, calculate the distance for all teams for all their away games to equate this properly, A/D=?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Great stats, keep them updated and while you're at it, calculate the distance for all teams for all their away games to equate this properly, A/D=?

F*ck me, some people are never satisfied, you didn't teach 'A' Level Statistics in Tunbridge Wells during the 80s did you?!?!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
With half the teams in league 1 having played 7 & the other half 8 away league games so far this season, the away following of each club is listed below. Please note that these figures have not been audited! Some of the away announced figures are difficult to find - however as at 4th November 2010, these are the best that I have been able to gather.

There are going to be anomalies where a club has had a local derby & squeewhiffed their average ie Bournemouth at Southampton & Huddersfield at Sheff W.

Wednesday- 1,868
Huddersfield- 1,720
Southampton- 1,694
Brighton- 1,393

Bournemouth- 959
Plymouth- 861
Charlton- 779
Exeter- 697
Swindon- 668
Oldham- 660
Carlisle- 648
Leyton Orient- 589
Bristol Rovers- 553
Peterborough- 539
Notts County- 509
Brentford- 473
MK Dons- 438
Dagenham- 409
Colchester- 369
Rochdale- 350
Tranmere- 262
Yeovil- 242
Walsall- 218
Hartlepool- 211

Plenty to discuss here.

Let's compare these two again in three weeks time, when we've been to Saints, and they've been to Carlisle....

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
F*ck me, some people are never satisfied, you didn't teach 'A' Level Statistics in Tunbridge Wells during the 80s did you?!?!!

We also need some sort of equation to correlate the effect of form on away attendance.

(no. of games won in last 5 / average home attendance) - distance in miles

Or something.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
We also need some sort of equation to correlate the effect of form on away attendance.

(no. of games won in last 5 / average home attendance) - distance in miles

Or something.

Yes, and maybe we could normalise by income distribution of the clubs' catchment areas to allow for transport buying power, or at least by car ownership and an accessibility index to rail?

:lolol:

PG

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Yes, and maybe we could normalise by income distribution of the clubs' catchment areas to allow for transport buying power, or at least by car ownership and an accessibility index to rail?

:lolol:

PG

Hold on I'll just print off the Census and the Index of Multiple Deprivation.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Albion's figure will be up to 1500 after the Saints match, based on 550 travelling to Hartlepool, and 3200 to St.Mary's.

Dessie

Jun 17, 2010
Sheffield
Hartlepool is a long way from anywhere

Peterboro "massage" figures

Huddersfield and Wednesday play more (relatively) local games than most

Not this season - the only localish game has been Notts County away.
Other than that we've been to Plymouth, Yeovil, Colchester, Brentford (televised at a shitty time on a Sunday) and Hartlepool, none of which are local. I'd expect us to take plenty to Tranmere, Rochdale, Oldham and Huddersfield though, regardless of how badly we're playing at the time.

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
I thought Burton Albion were the club closest to the centre of England.

There is a village green in Meriden with a large obelisk erected on it?
The locals there will have you believe that said obelisk is erected on the dead centre of England?
If said locals are telling the truth .... then Coventry City are said to be the nearest league club to the said centre of England?

So it's said anyway?

That said .... said locals could be wrong of course?

Now given that the Albion currently have the 4th highest away attendance could it be surmised that if our ground was big enough then we would have the 4th highest home crowd? If so our league average home gate would be in the 12,000 to 13,000 range.
Probably not far out I would suggest once the Falmer euphoria dies down?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Steve - I feel like a damn stalker by replying to your posts so often, but you have such an odd perspective.

It seems that you are suggesting that it is Falmer/Amex effect that is the reason we will sell a decent number of tickets, until at some unspecified point in the future the novelty wears off.

The way I see it is that Falmer will mean more people will come - because the facilities are better, it's a statement of intent etc. But a lot of people will come because of the football that is being served up and conceivably in the Championship (or above) in the years to come. On top of that, Withdean has never been a genuine alternative to going to a London club - but now a great many people are saying they will come to Falmer isntead of going to Charlton. West Ham. Fulham etc etc. There's more to Falmer than just the initial excitement. But you'll never accept this until the crowds are actually sitting in the seats.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
BMuffs wont be that high come May - it's only high cos they played Southampton - they didn't even fill Withers...!

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
doesnt matter yet really!!As iv said before we will take 1,000+ to 10 away games this season EASY and thats decent,in fact at this rate i reckon 12+ as we have taken 1000+ to swindon,sheff wed,peterborough and charlton and we will easily take 1000 to brentford,mk dons,orient,southampton,bournemouth and notts county. then we COULD take 1000 or will be close at Bristol,exeter,yeovil,colchester and walsall:thumbsup:

Steve - I feel like a damn stalker by replying to your posts so often, but you have such an odd perspective.

It seems that you are suggesting that it is Falmer/Amex effect that is the reason we will sell a decent number of tickets, until at some unspecified point in the future the novelty wears off.

The way I see it is that Falmer will mean more people will come - because the facilities are better, it's a statement of intent etc. But a lot of people will come because of the football that is being served up and conceivably in the Championship (or above) in the years to come. On top of that, Withdean has never been a genuine alternative to going to a London club - but now a great many people are saying they will come to Falmer isntead of going to Charlton. West Ham. Fulham etc etc. There's more to Falmer than just the initial excitement. But you'll never accept this until the crowds are actually sitting in the seats.

My stalker friend if you just want my number then send me a private message!

My thought process however is that if we have the 4th best away support in this league then surely if our ground were big enough then we would have the 4th best home support? That would give us the 12-13000 average home gate? Or is that not so?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here