Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHA Cult Hero for Football Focus

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Has anyone given a nomination or voted in this yet? I presume it's on the Beeb website.

Last edited:

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I wrote to them a few weeks ago with the following nominations:

Robbie Reinelt
Perry Digweed
Peter Smith

Should have done the Football Genius in hindsight

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
It's supposed to be cult, as in we loved them even if their footballing ability wasn't that evident; hence Reinelt, Crumps etc.

Don't really think we can have Knight or Gritt despite the fact they are both heroes.

Yep, that's big Frank in the classic horizontal striped Phoenix Brewery shirt.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think if everyone got together on Robbie Reinelt, they'd run it. It's got all the classic elements. A basically terrible player who is universally loved by the fans, in this instance for one supreme act that gave the club a future amid mind-blowing tension and sinking the opponents. And it would give them a chance to wax lyrical about the Hereford winner-takes-all scenario as well.

Let's hope they don't show too much footage of him the following year at Gillingham, though. I don't want to remember any of the 'football' that was on offer that season.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
It does specify players. Hence we can't nominate Dick Knight, really...

I put Brady down regardless though. What the hell, they might show him....

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Whats the definition of a cult hero? For me its someone who wasnt that great a player, but because of one feat of magic, or some momentous action or some other reason was loved by the crowd.

So, going on that criteria...

1) Robbie Reinelt- I don't think this needs any explaining.

2)Perry Digweed- Spent years as the number 2 keeper, but then stepped up to a regular place in the first team in the 90/91 play-off season. Previously i had always thought he was a little suspect but he performed heroics that season, particularly when he saved kiwomya's penalty in the vital last game of the season against Ipswich. Plus, he had a, er, distinct look about him. His trousers(with holes in?) and his jersey with the faded/fallen off number(or have i imagined that?)

3)Johny Crumplin football genius- He was, well, he was johny crumplin football genius. Great t-shirts. nuff said.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Agree GNLF.

Those three are all definitely cult heroes.

A cult hero is not someone who was generally brilliant like Bobby, it's someone who is limited but makes the most of it, or tries really hard despite not much talent, or who is only famous for one magic moment, a la Reinelt, Digweed and Crumplin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here