Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Betting on Footy...Mugs game or simple pleasure?

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
This betting on footy isn't as easy as it looks is it?. Out of tonights 'Dead certs' I had Dag/Red to win (lost 2-5 ), Stevenage to win ( lost 2-1 ) QOS to win ( lost 1-2 ) and yes - I had the Albion for 2-2 ( pah! )
Now, I enjoy having a flutter, in the vain hope I may win a large wad of cash, but it's getting to the point now where I'm starting to take it seriously and getting pissed off that the matches I bet on don't go with form - ie Stevenage should've won easily tonight but managed a performance akin to General Custer.
It's really a mugs game isn't it?

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
ceramic_mug.jpg

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's a mugs game! Plain and simple. Today, for example, I had a bloke put £5 on Tottenham to win 3-0 tonight. Where's the logic in that, I mean, really?! That's more than I would be willing to through away in one swoop. Accumulators for a couple of quid is a bit of a giggle and you won't miss the loose change you're using them on. But if you're going to put 5s and 10s on anything football, you're dicing with defeat and losing your cash.

I've seen people lose £500 in single football bets. I've seen a bloke stake £2,000 on a 10/1 ON team (Barcelona vs someone) and then lose that money.

On another note, I've also seen people get £300 up on the machines from a tiny stake, and then gamble it all away. I don't understand some people. :nono:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I've done very few outright football bets.

USA v CZECH REP OFFICIAL THREAD - North Stand Chat

£2 on Koller to score first (vs USA) and to win 3-0 at 70-1. Came in.

£4 on McShane to score first (vs Palace) at 50-1
£3 on Draw/Brighton at 16-1
£4 on Brighton to win 1-0 @ 8-1

I can't remember the exact odds or stake for the Palace game, but ended up with about £300. I couldn't work out how to make that an accumulative bet - would have been a nice payout. :(

I honestly can't remember betting on another game. Perhaps I should?

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Providing you get the best possible odds on a football bet-even if you don't necessarily think it'll happen then you CAN make a profit.Sounds silly i know but just play the percentages.I usually have a double on teams around 4/6.It's worth buying the Racing Post or studying Soccerbase.

There is no such thing as an away banker.I always stick to home teams.Something could've happened in the build-up to the game like coach stuck in traffic or fire alarms going off in the middle of the night.

Correct scores i usually go for 2 goals to 1 when teams are odds-against(you can usually get around 10/1 with Betfred which isn't bad)

So i wouldn't say it's a mug's game but i've given a few dodgy tips on here before!

blue and white army

Jan 31, 2008
Brighton
This betting on footy isn't as easy as it looks is it?. Out of tonights 'Dead certs' I had Dag/Red to win (lost 2-5 ), Stevenage to win ( lost 2-1 ) QOS to win ( lost 1-2 ) and yes - I had the Albion for 2-2 ( pah! )
Now, I enjoy having a flutter, in the vain hope I may win a large wad of cash, but it's getting to the point now where I'm starting to take it seriously and getting pissed off that the matches I bet on don't go with form - ie Stevenage should've won easily tonight but managed a performance akin to General Custer.
It's really a mugs game isn't it?

Losing money is part and parcel of betting. My advice to be prudent on the bets you place. I'm £22 up from the last week and bought myself a pressie with the winnings :clap2:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Betting on football is for WINNERS :thumbsup:

Betting on your own team, is where it goes wrong - your heart rules your head too much.

Its only a couple of quid here and there for me, mind.

This week I went for the 4 CC 1/4 finals @ 20/1.

Picked Utd and Villa last night. Need Arsenal and Chelsea tonight, to turn my rash ONE pound stake into a healthy £21, which will buy lunch for me and the missus on my day off Friday...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
HKFC is right. Betting is for WINNERS. I KNOW someone who bet lashings of cash on the outcome of the Brighton Wycombe game and he won quite literally LOADS, and he is indeed a WINNER.

It has inspired me to stake £10,000 on total goals spread bet on the Exeter-Albion game. I may lose my house BUT if I win my wife will enjoy the holiday I pay for. :thumbsup:

And I can't lose because as discussed, betting is for WINNERS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here