Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best/Worst support band seen in Brighton

Thanks to all who posted on my "Best gigs at the Centre" thread. I see someone has kicked off one for the Dome now! How about best/worst support act seen at any Brighton venue??

To kick off....

BEST

Village People supporting G*** G*****r at the Centre.

Suzi Quatro supporting same act at the same venue - all the guys in our group though that she was a very good advert for the benefits of a rock and roll lifestyle, the women just glared!

Dumpy's Rusty Nuts supporting the Blues Band at the Top Rank early '80's Jolly biker boogie/rock band.

WORST

Vardis supporting Slade at the Centre. Guitarist Steve Zodiac looked the part leaping around like a maniac barefoot and bare chested. The image was somewhat destroyed at the end of the set by him thanking us all for coming in a posh woosy voice!

Slade were excellent despite having to play with the house lights full on due to "technical fault".

Gabrielle supporting Paul Weller at the Centre mid '90's. Despite her cool detached image, on stage she came over as a lightweight giggly girly. Made the bad mistake of saying to the audience that she thought that we would rather be watching Paul Weller. The Modfather rocked!

Mazzy Star supporting...Ride I believe. Silly twee girlie lead singer kep sighing and rolling her eyes about nothing, as if she was bored or something. Some idiot must have told her it looked becoming, and would be a good stage act! It just came across as boring for all concerned.

Gary Moore and Skid Row. He kept bending and holding notes and grimmacing like he was in pain. Rubbish, and he looked a right twat, and with people booing him and telling him to get off.

Doctors of Madness. Pretentious crap, silver painted faces and a complete Bowie rip-off sans the songs, and the talent.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I saw Sailor supporting somebody at the Dome, they were dreadful.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
NMH said:
That's right, and they wore silly little Captain hats....well the singer did anyway.

And they had a lampost in the middle of the stage.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Ian Brown supporting Manic Street Preachers in 2002 or 2003 was atrocious - an impression that didn't improve when he threw a bottle at one of the girls I was with. I recall he was physically pulled from the stage at the end of his set.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
A Scottish band called Beltane Fire supporting Marillion at the Brighton Centre. A soft rock band featuring a double bass. A guitarist so bad that he broke two stirngs and it didn't affect the sound!

Also, at the Richmond that legendary biker band Dumpy's Rusty Nuts were supported by a band called Zephyr. I say band, it was two blokes with a drum machine who tried and failed to entertain a crowd who were growing impatient as the headline act were late because their van broke down.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can only think of best ones. Can never remember the names of the bad ones.

Suzy Quattro/ Thin Lizzy
Alex Harvey Band

All supporting Slade (2 different concerts).

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Oh and Kim Wilde supporting Michael Jackson (Bad Tour) wasn't too bad either - but I'd already heard of her.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Best

A New Found Glory supporting Green Day - Both bands were AWESOME punk:

Men, Women and Children supporting LostProphets - They were good on stage but there album wasnt very good.

Worst

The Pippettes supporting The Subways - Very fit, just very very VERY boring.

The OK

The Blackout supporting LostProphets - Very VERY screamy, just a little bit too screamy for my liking.

Last edited:

crosbysleftear

Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
¡Cereal Killer! said:

The Pippettes supporting The Subways - Very fit, just very very VERY boring.

The Pips have a bit of a history for getting strange support slots with rock bands. Never works as the audience is always there for something completly different. The worst was when they supported Hot Snakes (who I think you'd like by the way), I've never seen an audience so uninvolved.

Best

Super Furry Animals supporting Blur. The Warm Jets were on the same bill, it was ace.

The Broken Family Band and another band called St Thomas (I think)supporting Herman Dune. Another fine night.

Seafood supporting the Fall. Shame I had to buy a ticket for the fall to see them.

She Haw supporting Laura Cantrell was pretty fine as well.

Worst

Brassy by a country mile. Supported Bis and they are the worst band I have ever seen. They had a song where they spelt out their name and they managed to get it wrong. Awful.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Best was Super Furry Animals supporting Blur, but i had bought the ticket more to see the Super Furries.

Worst, the Brakes supporting Belle and Sebastian last year, tuneless utter shite

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
scooter1 said:
On the NME tour last year, Arctic Monkeys were "supporting" Maximo Park, and We Are Scientists opened the night. All wrong IMO

I was gonna mention that gig but for completely different reasons.
The Arctic Monkeys played a very, poor set and seemed completely disinterested. when they finished about half the audience walked out an missed Maximo Park who played a brilliant set

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here