Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Best way to Bayeux from London…

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I quite like Dieppe, but agree that Honfleur will be a nice start to your holiday.

Rouen is a fun place, I must have been at least half a dozen times. You can easily fill your time there, but Monet's Gardens in Giverny is an easy trip, and for something a little different the abbey at Jumieges is beautiful. 1400 years old too!

Sounds like a great trip regardless

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
My parents live in Normandy, so I've spent a fair bit of time there. In terms of Bayeux, my recommendation would be ferry from Poole/Portsmouth to Ouistreham.

For attractions, the Tapestry is well worth seeing. In terms of other things to do, I'd highly recommend the D-Day sights. If you head up towards Utah/Omaha beaches, you'll find some excellent museums. Also worth popping in to some of the cemeteries as well, both German and Allied - it helps the brain process the sheer magnitude of losses on both sides. If you head in-land slightly to St Mere-Eglise, you can see the famous church steeple where an American airbourne soldier was snagged for most of the day. Theres's also a very good Airbourne museum too. Finally, I'd recommend Pegasus Bridge too, the site of the British gliders landing to secure one of the most important bridges.

That's probably a bit garbled, so feel free to PM for anything else/more specific.
I used to work in a Chateau in Le Molay-Littry, just a few miles from Bayeux. One of the staff had just finished at University where he’d been studying British Military History, on our days off we’d pile into the staff cars and visit the beaches, St Mere Eglise etc and ‘Sarge’ would impart all of his knowledge on us, fabulous times. We spent D-Day at one of the beaches, the small village was all decked out and there were vintage military jeeps buzzing around, when it got dark all power/ lights were cut and they bellowed air raid sirens throughout the streets, very very eery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here