Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

best tv show ever

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
prison break, and anybody remember Saved By The Bell!?

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
What a bunch of youngsters, if you were an old fart like me you would surely have at least considered the original and best version of The Prisoner as well as I Claudius and The World at War, amongst many other Stone Age offerings....

am enjoying re-run of Colditz, also Secret Army. My fave drama was probably When the Boat Comes in

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
This Life

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
How not to live your life
Lee Nelson's Well Good Show
Three Non-Blondes
The Phone Shop
Life of Riley
Green Green Grass
Two Pints of Lager...
My Hero
My Family
All About Me

You are joking right? Please say you are.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I'm Alan Partridge
The Simpsons

And, as a kid, I used to love Sportsnight - the theme tune, the highlights of European Cup Winners' Cup ties from Lokomotiv Leipzig, Harry Carpenter when boxing was worth watching, David Vine ... (wipes tear from his eye).

As much as I love Python and Doctor Who, Blackadder Goes Fourth was just great at every turn! Have quite enjoyed what I've seen of Only Fools, but not enough for it to be a "favourite" of mine!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How do you pick one show as the best ever, when what makes the show great is often very much in the moment, the time of your life when you watch them etc?

My shortlist would definitely include (* = ones I own on dvd):

*Buffy the Vampire Slayer
*The West Wing
Quantum Leap
Twin Peaks
Friends
ER
*Alias
*Firefly

Some that were probably more in the moment, or are more current faves
*Supernatural
*Simpsons
*Family Guy
South Park
Smallville

Cartoon shows I loved as a kid, and as such feel were culturally important, if not necessarily good:

He-man
Thundercats
Transformers
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (ignoring the numerous reincarnations of it)
Centurians
M.A.S.K.
Inspector Gadget
Knightmare
Jem
Denver The Last Dinosaur
Jayce and the Wheel Warriors
X-men
Spider-man and his amazing friends
Tea Bag (or whatever it was called)
Dangermouse
Trapdoor
Count duckula

Some of these shows have had some great seasons, but also some poor or underwhelming seasons, so won't argue with anyone who disagrees, but they were all shows that I consider to have been good enough to stay with me, and that is for me what makes them great, even if the quality of the show isn't.

Along with shows mentioned by other posters
Sopranos, Blackadder, only fools and horses, a-team, the young ones, spitting image

Others forgotten
Brush Strokes, Bread, Birds of a feather, a bit of fry and laury, poirot, murder she wrote, knightrider, manimal, harry enfield and chums, hale and pace, dr who (various incarnations)

Last edited:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Fawlty Towers, The History Man or A Very Peculiar Practice

now there is taste would add the first 3 series of Shameless (very repative and quite poor after that) and Yes Minister/Prime Minister and we are there.

Now I bet a lot of people are going to say what to A Very Peculiar Practice a gem deeply burried that was.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
What a bunch of youngsters, if you were an old fart like me you would surely have at least considered the original and best version of The Prisoner as well as I Claudius and The World at War, amongst many other Stone Age offerings....

I didn't think I was that old, but The Prisoner and I Claudius (aka 1 Clavdivs) were the first two shows I thought of.

Comedy Shows like Blackadder, The Young Ones and Only Fools and Horses are up there too, but I think that a really good, gripping drama is rarer, which is why shows like The Sopranos work well for me.

I also liked Lost, but there's no accounting for personal taste!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here