Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best thing you have bought this year?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
F78100FA-991D-4132-A635-E0DDF5F4920C.jpeg

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Being old school . . .and vinyl . . . I do stream via phone to TV and a sound bar, but its like listening to a wireless by comparisson . . . .is it 'that good' or whats the sauce? ( I use spotify at work/car/kitchen etc)

I have a turntable too; a half-decent one and I was ready to start buying vinyl again but the Naim streams Qobuz/Tidal over CD quality without much fuss. I played Moderat on vinyl (good MM cartridge) and then on Qobuz at higher resolution and the difference is quite profound. Qobuz has some warmth and is significantly better than Spotify (I have both atm as a phone contract legacy). Highly recommend Qobuz. Currently playing via Naim app on my phone but purists will tell you to download lossless files onto a drive and then run them through.

The turntable is wired via a phono amp into the Naim. Naim says 80 watts but that is constant. It is much more powerful. I also bought new speakers and tried them out with my old Arcam pre and power amp before wiring the Naim and the amps struggled - can’t remember combined wattage but much higher listed. The Naim isn’t struggling.

You can get into ridiculous upgrade territory. Don’t. If you want good reviews, read Stereophile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
PHWOARR!

I'm not a plumber, but I know a nice tool when I see one :lolol:

I fitted this ( and did the plumbing) and wept, when it wept . . . Fortunately I had just been a bit a scaredy cat and the olives needed more of a pinch. (Phew) View attachment 147304

Only 15mm sticking out after tiling, as calculated . . . Squeaky aint the word

That’s excellent work!

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Not sure, but I am watching the football upside down.

On the basis you can't ski uphill, I'd sooner have the highest quality possible rather than the squished MP3 style mush.

So a couple of things.

CD quality is 44.1kHz and your ears will apparently struggle beyond that. Qobuz (and I am not a salesman) goes to 192kHz. It’s not pure lossless but it is very intricate. I think beyond that you’re in swinging d### territory.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Kindle.

I've read about 7 books this year on it. Currently reading Jimmy White Second Wind (99p). I bloody LOVE browsing cheap books, which I can then view instantly, and on a splendid matt screen in the sunshine, no reflections, its like a paper page. And I can read it in darkness in bed at night. In daytime, that little slut slips neatly in my pocket for when I slope off out for a read and a pint. Love it.

I'm a late convert, as I STILL love a paperback (and newspaper) in my hands. But the Kindle has surpassed my expectations.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Flights from Poland to Luton to get my wife's teenage nieces out of Ukraine to come and stay with us while the madness continues. Best £80 EVER spent by our family.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A fleet of bendy buses.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Probably the original Century Tip Tornado Lite in mint condition from a Sunday boot sale,cost £15 :eek::eek::eek:, I almost felt guilty.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
So a couple of things.

CD quality is 44.1kHz and your ears will apparently struggle beyond that. Qobuz (and I am not a salesman) goes to 192kHz. It’s not pure lossless but it is very intricate. I think beyond that you’re in swinging d### territory.

It's relatively simple to prove that the 44.1kHz sampling rate for CD gives sufficient headroom to cover the entire 20-20kHz spectrum of human hearing, so anything greater than this is absolutely unnecessary - the only reason 48kHz is used for professional work is(was) to make it easier to downsample to other commonly used rates - 8kHz, 16kHz, etc.

192kHz is magic beans. Unless of course you've also purchased my hyper-premium diamond weave unicorn hair interconnects, when all will sonically be revealed...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have a turntable too; a half-decent one and I was ready to start buying vinyl again but the Naim streams Qobuz/Tidal over CD quality without much fuss. I played Moderat on vinyl (good MM cartridge) and then on Qobuz at higher resolution and the difference is quite profound. Qobuz has some warmth and is significantly better than Spotify (I have both atm as a phone contract legacy). Highly recommend Qobuz. Currently playing via Naim app on my phone but purists will tell you to download lossless files onto a drive and then run them through.

The turntable is wired via a phono amp into the Naim. Naim says 80 watts but that is constant. It is much more powerful. I also bought new speakers and tried them out with my old Arcam pre and power amp before wiring the Naim and the amps struggled - can’t remember combined wattage but much higher listed. The Naim isn’t struggling.

You can get into ridiculous upgrade territory. Don’t. If you want good reviews, read Stereophile.

Interesting . . . I'll look up Qobuz. I have arcam pre/power . . .rega P3 and PMC twenty5-21 noise boxes. . . . my biggest issue is lots of old vinyl isn't available any other way, the list is getting shorter though.

volume is never a problem, most power ratings are double what anyone usually listens at. IF I want agricutural racket I have a PA system in the man cave for a band!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's relatively simple to prove that the 44.1kHz sampling rate for CD gives sufficient headroom to cover the entire 20-20kHz spectrum of human hearing, so anything greater than this is absolutely unnecessary - the only reason 48kHz is used for professional work is(was) to make it easier to downsample to other commonly used rates - 8kHz, 16kHz, etc.

192kHz is magic beans. Unless of course you've also purchased my hyper-premium diamond weave unicorn hair interconnects, when all will sonically be revealed...

Are they an upgrade on my old Queen mother pube with Churchill-tooth plug interconnects? :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here