Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

best stand up comic / comedian

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
Drips said:
Not everyone’s cup of tea but Bernard Manning does it for me every time :lolol:

I used to like Ben Elton on Friday Night Live when he was at his satirical best :salute:

Bob Monkhouse was the Daddy though :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Guess that makes me a middle of the road, left wing fascist :p
No. It just shows that you appreciate a real comic genius when he comes along!!!!
:) :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Roy 'Chubby' Brown I would put in there with Bobby Davro, Bernard Manning and Stan Boardman for their zealous homophobia and racism for a cheap laugh. Brown's shows are currently being shown on Granada, and I watched part of one of them, just to see what the fuss was about, and safe to say he wouldn't last 30 seconds in Brighton.

The best shows I have seen were Lee Evans about 12 years ago, Paul Merton about eight years ago, and Bill Bailey I saw last year.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Tommy Cooper used to make me laugh just walking on stage. Preferences now are Lee Evans, Billy Connolly and my current fave, Eddie Izzard.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
What about the best comics you've seen live?

I saw that fella who used to do the Lottery with Lulu (Essex, short hair) - very very very funny man.

Jack Dee and Lee Evans at uni in 1990 (+ Jo Brand, all for a fiver!!) - they were the funniest men I have ever seen, and Jack Dee went on for about 45 mins.

Seagullmatt

Feb 8, 2004
Goring by Sea
Eddie Izzard. He is just off the wall and completly different from anyone else today. Saw him at :censored: Guild Hall (You know, the place with the inbreeds along the coast.) His later stuff doesn't seem to be as funny, maybe it's me but check out 'Glorious' video or DVD.

And he comes from Sussex.

Grin

Jul 5, 2003
Lewes
Jack Dee is hillarious.

Got a free cd of his with the gurdain a few years ago and still listen to it now, hes fantastic.

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
Seagullmatt said:
Eddie Izzard. He is just off the wall and completly different from anyone else today. Saw him at :censored: Guild Hall (You know, the place with the inbreeds along the coast.) His later stuff doesn't seem to be as funny, maybe it's me but check out 'Glorious' video or DVD.

And he comes from Sussex.

correction ... bexhill-on-sea...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Referee87 said:
correction ... bexhill-on-sea...

?!?

Bexhill was in Sussex last time I looked.

Anyway, Eddie might have grown up in Bexhill but the big poof was born in South Yemen.

Pedant's badge for me please.

Al Murray. Sat in the front row of one of his gigs in Brighton - worst mistake of my life, ripped to shreds. Genuis.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Interesting that nobody has chosen Max Miller - a great innovator and arguably the greatest Brightonian.

Harry Enfield (Albion fan when a kid), Tony Hawks and Izzard are all local. Sussex is a comedy hotbed!!!!!

Personally it's Paul Merton for me.

Max's Dad

Jan 2, 2004
Eastbourne
Harry Hill -- painfully funny live.

Saw some Roy "Unfunny" Brown on Sky recently -- about as amusing as torching a Vietnamese village and picking off the survivors with a rifle.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Anyone see Lee Evans live from Wembley last night?.That was bloody funny.I think he gets better with every show.:lolol:

Al Murray live is a class act, much better than on 'Time Gentlemen please'. Seriously quick and well educated bloke who transfers it all to the publican guise with fantastic effect. Seen him 4 times, always a great night.

Strange no-one mentioned Hale & Pace!:ohmy:

Last edited:

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
Brightonfan1983 said:
I did discover Bill Hicks on my own in 1992.

I've tried to think of someone still alive

Bill Hicks was superb. RIP Bill.

Denis Leary was awesome as a stand up but he's 'sold out' and now does bit parts in cheesy films.

Grin

Jul 5, 2003
Lewes
BRIGHT ON Q said:
Anyone see Lee Evans live from Wembley last night?.That was bloody funny.I think he gets better with every show.:lolol:

Have to say i found his performance last night very poor!

Didnt make me laugh more than once or twice, very disapointing:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here