Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Sports Related Film

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I would goe with 'This Sporting Life'. Still, if you know anything about American Football then, 'Any Given Sunday' is another. Also, Paul Newman's slapshot was a Ice Hockey film plus 'Major League' and Eight Men Out'.

When Saturday come s was all rather predictable.

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
You ignorant fools! (Except those who mentioned Slapshot.)

Has no one seen GOAL! The official FIFA film of the World Cup 1966? Buy it tomorrow, watch it & then tell me how great Escape to F*cking Victory is! You'll eat your words, you really will. Any English football fan who watches GOAL! will get a lump in their throat for sure.....and a severe attack of nerves/adrenalin before the final, even though we know the result.
It's no wonder this film earned an oscar.
Mike f*cking Bassett my arse!

By the way, the film where the teacher thought he was Bobby Charlton was Kes, directed by Ken Loach. A classic indeed but not strictly about sport. I think the teacher was played by Brian Glover.???

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It was indeed simon and filmed in Barnsley

I have to agree with you about GOAL

Many many happy memories.

The whole of England partied that night. I have never experienced anything like it since

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Gregory's Girl was a classic.

Bend it like Beckham was good as well.

Anyone remember some crap film - Striker ? with Ian McShane

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sporting life was good. Enjoyed Mean Machine (Burt Reynolds), Mike Bassett and When Saturday Comes.

Also remember a film about Aussie Football called "the club" (I think) being pretty good.

If it counts as sport, Field of Dreams (baseball) is the best.

Rocky I was good as well.

Escape to Victory. Was that the POW film with Sly Stone and some ex-players? (Ipswich?). If so, I have to say that was absolute shite!!

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Grand Prix. [Steve McQueen, James Garner] without a doubt.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Gregorys Girl by a country mile

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This Sporting Life and Raging Bull are head and shoulders above the rest. The Club's pretty good though.

I liked the original Mean Machine and Slapshot, good entertainment and Gregory's Girl, although that's not really a sporting film though.

Jul 20, 2003
The Hustler

When We Were Kings

Hoop Dreams

looking forwards to the Seabuscuit film

Van der Gully

Jul 10, 2003
Brunssum, NL
Most of mine have already been mentioned, Cool Runnings is an absolute classic, even more so as it is based on a true story, Escape to victory was proof if ever it were needed that football players make lousy actors (take note Vinnie) and bend it like Beckham was also an excellent film.

Have to admit that I had never heard of the film Goal but will try to watch it if I can. The first Rocky film was OK but they then went a bit stupid, the one with him fighting against the Russian was just the worst propaganda film of all time with the Americans taking a swipe at the "eastie beasties"...

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
BASEketball
Escape to victory

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Buzza said:

Rocky I was good as well.

I've only seen Rocky III and its so cheesy its funny. It has Mr T in it and a cameo from Hulk Hogan. classic scenes, and unbelievably cheesy

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
As bhaexpress says 'Eight Men Out' classic film, Charlie Sheen, based on a true story "Say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so!"

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
bigc said:
I've only seen Rocky III and its so cheesy its funny. It has Mr T in it and a cameo from Hulk Hogan. classic scenes, and unbelievably cheesy

Agreed Big C. I didn't really rate the sequels. III in particular.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here