Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] best opening track to an album?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I had the LP on repeat when it came out, and loved that track. But....boy does that make uncomfortable listening today, though. Misogenystic and nasty. :shrug:

and let's not forget:

The Stranglers - feel like a wog.

Having got that off my chest I'll post some good opening tracks :thumbsup:

Words have context. It might be uncomfortable, but it is a really powerful message. For me it was a message I could relate to and also reflect that whilst I might have occasionally beenmade to feel really ackward in a certain situation, it wasn't something I had to deal with day in day out.

London Lady, could be deemed misogynstic, but then it was in response to a woman going public on what a terrible shag he was. Not an unreasonable response in the circumstances. Peaches is a grubby piece of adult rocknroll, not sure what's wrong with that, compared to thepussy cat dolls, thrusting their crotches on a family entertainment show.

The Stranglers were certainly more into the rocknroll lifestyle than the Clash. Topper Heaton was on the radio last week talking about recording London Calling. When the Clash weren't recording the most crazy thing they got up to was kicking a football around.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Stranglers were certainly more into the rocknroll lifestyle than the Clash. Topper Heaton was on the radio last week talking about recording London Calling. When the Clash weren't recording the most crazy thing they got up to was kicking a football around.

Would that be the same Topper Headon that got sacked from The Clash for being a smackhead by any chance? :lol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
School...crime of the century ...Supertramp.

Awesome track.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I had the LP on repeat when it came out, and loved that track. But....boy does that make uncomfortable listening today, though. Misogenystic and nasty. :shrug:

Amazing how many tracks there are that were happily played on radio 1 at one time, but which would cause an outcry if played today....

Union Gap - Young girl (and Lady Will Power)
Heavy Metal Kids - the cops are coming
Sassafras - school daze
Glitter - leader of the gang
Roy Harper - Forbidden fruit

and let's not forget:

The Stranglers - feel like a wog.

Having got that off my chest I'll post some good opening tracks :thumbsup:

as a spotty 14 year old probably wasn't too concerned with the lyrics at the time

when lyrics became readily available,I soon realised I'd been singing the wrong words anyway :lol:

but your right Mr Cornwell was a naughty boy

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Definitely a good track but Police & Thieves is my favourite

funny isn't it,was my least favourite,but would never risk lifting the needle in case I scratched the record :lol:

a little like Johnny Was on Inflammable Material

but as time passes you realise they are actually the jewel on the album

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You know you've got some listening ahead when this bad boy cranks up:-

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
funny isn't it,was my least favourite,but would never risk lifting the needle in case I scratched the record :lol:

a little like Johnny Was on Inflammable Material

but as time passes you realise they are actually the jewel on the album

The bassline on Police & Thieves, , I could listen to this all day long

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here