Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best NSC members?

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
shadowy? From what extensive experience is this accusation based?

Or is it in fact, wild assumption without any fact or personal experience to back it up?

Or is it just something thats trendy down at the Dungeons and Dragons club this week?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Digweeds Trousers said:
shadowy? From what extensive experience is this accusation based?

Or is it in fact, wild assumption without any fact or personal experience to back it up?

Or is it just something thats trendy down at the Dungeons and Dragons club this week?

Shadowy in the same way the Freemasons are, etc. The veneer of (potentially false) mystique over the entire system, etc. Opus Dei, the AoH, etc all have this about them.

You also seem to have some rabid assumption that I'm a 'stereotypical geek'. A Bill Gates, so to speak.

I think Dungeons and Dragons is moronic. I've never liked Star Trek. I'm not obsessed with the Lord Of The Rings. I'm not 5 foot tall with greasy hair, bad teeth and NHS glasses. I *AM* clumsy, but thats a diagnosed medical condition (dyspraxia). I used to be able to actually take part in sports willingly and competitively until I injured my knee.

The 'stereotypical geek' you're thinking of is a Linux user. BeOS users are far, far, stranger....

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Flamebait (aka TrollBait)aka Richie Morris) is a message posted to an Internet discussion group, such as a newsgroup or a mailing list, with the intent of provoking an angry response (a "flame"). Various motives or explanations can be sought for this puzzling behavior; the desire for attention and the desire for entertainment at others' expense are two leading motives.

It should be pointed out that, of course, it is often hard to determine who is really responsible for the degradation of a reasonable discussion into a flamewar. Someone who posts a contrary opinion in a strongly focused discussion forum may be easily labeled a "baiter", "flamer" or "troll". Therefore, it seems especially important to make the rules and focus of a discussion forum public to avoid misconceptions about its accepted use.

The conclusion to a flamewar precipitated by flamebait is usually determined by recourse to Godwin's law.

See also Internet troll, Social software.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Godwin's Law (also Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an adage in Internet culture that was originated by Mike Godwin in 1990. The law states that:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.
There is a tradition in many Usenet newsgroups that once such a comparison is made, the thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. In addition, whoever points out that Godwin's Law applies to the thread is also considered to have "lost" the battle, as it is considered poor form to invoke the law explicitly. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. Many people understand Godwin's Law to mean this, although (as is clear from the statement of the law above) this is not the original formulation.

Nevertheless, there is also a widely-recognized codicil that any intentional invocation of Godwin's Law for its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
looney said:
Flamebait (aka TrollBait)aka Richie Morris) is a message posted to an Internet discussion group, such as a newsgroup or a mailing list, with the intent of provoking an angry response (a "flame"). Various motives or explanations can be sought for this puzzling behavior; the desire for attention and the desire for entertainment at others' expense are two leading motives.

It should be pointed out that, of course, it is often hard to determine who is really responsible for the degradation of a reasonable discussion into a flamewar. Someone who posts a contrary opinion in a strongly focused discussion forum may be easily labeled a "baiter", "flamer" or "troll". Therefore, it seems especially important to make the rules and focus of a discussion forum public to avoid misconceptions about its accepted use.

The conclusion to a flamewar precipitated by flamebait is usually determined by recourse to Godwin's law.

Hmm.

Who is the REAL geek?

Me for starting a thread out of boredom, or Looney for looking up the geek term for it?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
looney said:

Looney, see 'f***ing plank'

[n] an endorsed policy in the platform of a political party
[n] A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below two years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here