Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Movie quotes ruined by TV Dubbing

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
God I'm bored today...anyway:

This little gem sprang to mind:
"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious stuff."

:nono:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I remember watching Repoman on BBC2 at about midnight a number of years ago. They replaced motherfucker with melonfarmer, over and over again.

When I was studying Hamlet for A-Level English, we all got taken off to the cinema to see the Russian film of the play, directed by Grigory Kozintsev.

It's a great film, incredibly moody and atmospheric, with superb music by Shostakovitch. But it's in Russian - with English sub-titles that were not the words of Shakespeare, but a modern English translation of the Russian text by Boris Pasternak.

Very wierd. Whatever happened to the "To be or not to be?" bit?

And Hamlet is pronounced "Gamlet" in Russian, which didn't help either.

:)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Coming to America - eddie murphy

-forget you!

-YES! YES! forget you too!!!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Robocop

- He's gonna be one bad mother crusher

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Die Hard

Yippee-ki-yay, kimosabe

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Remember in Die Hard 2 when Bruce Willis is about to light the trail of aviation fuel at the end and ITV had him saying (and excuse the spelling) "Yippee-ki-yay mother farmer". Couldn't stop laughing.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Falmer Flutter © said:
Spooky 80's Seagull. But who's right and who's wrong? Or are we both right?

:)

Well I'm thinking of the first Die Hard so I think we're both right :)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This may be a bit controversial but ......

The removal of the word '******' from 'The Dambusters'. It was the name of Guy Gibson's black labrador dog and when the dog was killed as a mark of respect they used it as the code word for a successful destruction of the dam.

Last time I saw the film they kept calling the dog 'boy' and the radio operator's excited: "It's ****** sir, it's ******!" when the dam was destoyed had become simply "It's gone!". In all instances the dubbing was dreadful.

This re-writing of history to try and pretend that the word was never used in Britain is just plain wrong. Obviously the word is offensive today and rightly so - so why not just start the broadcast with a warning saying the language may offend? Why bowlderise it?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
In Scarface on Channel 5( i think) the line was
"This city is one big chicken waiting to be plucked"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here