Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
The Smiths just take it for me over New Order although both are blinding in their own individual way.

How anyone can still take Oasis seriously now is beyond me.

As Simster says above, Oasis are a 1 trick pony which lasted for 2 albums.

I would go out tonight but I haven't got a stitch to wear! Perhaps a new thread title, greatest ever morrissey lyrics?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The Smiths just take it for me over New Order although both are blinding in their own individual way.

How anyone can still take Oasis seriously now is beyond me.

As Simster says above, Oasis are a 1 trick pony which lasted for 2 albums.

I would go out tonight but I haven't got a stitch to wear! Perhaps a new thread title, greatest ever morrissey lyrics?

Oasis may well have been a one trick pony but it was a pretty good trick and they produced two fine albums that struck a chord with an awful lot of people. I don't really care for the circus that has surrounded the Gallaghers throughout their career but they came up with a bunch of songs that people can rip into, recite and enjoy at the drop of a hat, and that's no bad thing.

Musically and lyrically the likes of the Smiths, Joy Division walk all over Oasis but I know whose gig I'd rather go to.

Still these things are all subjective, if I was a mancunian I'd be pretty pleased that there is such a strong list of bands to choose from.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Oasis may well have been a one trick pony but it was a pretty good trick and they produced two fine albums that struck a chord with an awful lot of people. I don't really care for the circus that has surrounded the Gallaghers throughout their career but they came up with a bunch of songs that people can rip into, recite and enjoy at the drop of a hat, and that's no bad thing.

Musically and lyrically the likes of the Smiths, Joy Division walk all over Oasis but I know whose gig I'd rather go to.

Still these things are all subjective, if I was a mancunian I'd be pretty pleased that there is such a strong list of bands to choose from.

It probably "struck a chord" because "indie" music was suddenly marketed towards the mass market in a way that (for me) lost all sense of it being independent and different to the mainstream.

It seemed all rather cynical to me and I lost interest in music when "Brit Pop" started.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Probably need to consider the demographic of the board - While there will be some younger Smiths fans, you need to be approaching 40 for them to have been around during those teenage years.....

Or taste perhaps ?

There were a number of bands in my demographic but I didn't like them very much.

I didn't get into the Smiths until after they had long broken up. I would have been in my mid 20s.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It probably "struck a chord" because "indie" music was suddenly marketed towards the mass market in a way that (for me) lost all sense of it being independent and different to the mainstream.

It seemed all rather cynical to me and I lost interest in music when "Brit Pop" started.

I think they were just in the right place at the right time, the 'lad' culture had taken off, not only in the musical sphere, but tv, publishing, politics and on the terraces too. There was nothing big and clever about Oasis (despite Noel's protestations to the contrary) just some irritatingly catchy tunes that still hold up well today.

I agree with your cynicism with regards Brit-pop and was grateful that the bubble burst after only a short while.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Probably need to consider the demographic of the board - While there will be some younger Smiths fans, you need to be approaching 40 for them to have been around during those teenage years.....

Quite true although looking through the bands listed and considering the age of the board (quite young during binfest time!) there seems to be music apprecation beyond years.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

The Smiths are the one band I regret not seeing in concert and having seen the majority of the rest, Oasis were the best of the rest.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Or taste perhaps ?

There were a number of bands in my demographic but I didn't like them very much.

I didn't get into the Smiths until after they had long broken up. I would have been in my mid 20s.

Maybe, I can kind of see the Oasis thing, probably a better live act. Still voted for the Smiths tho.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been struggling with this one.
For me it come down to:-

The Stone Roses
The Charlatans
The Inspiral Beardsleys sorry I mean Carpets.

Probably in that order although the Beardsleys made some cracking tunes.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think they were just in the right place at the right time, the 'lad' culture had taken off, not only in the musical sphere, but tv, publishing, politics and on the terraces too. There was nothing big and clever about Oasis (despite Noel's protestations to the contrary) just some irritatingly catchy tunes that still hold up well today.

I agree with your cynicism with regards Brit-pop and was grateful that the bubble burst after only a short while.

Lad culture took after Oasis, when they came out I was called gay for liking them.

Oasis get bad press because of what came after them

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton

My favourite band and I'm 19 :thumbsup:

I do also like Oasis, just not as much..

The Smiths have taken the lead :clap2:

Last edited:

Philcounty

Feb 25, 2009
Congleton
[yt]ubJx_5x3yOE[/yt]

Another great MCR band that seems to have been forgotten. Thanks for reminding me of some of the great music produced in my region.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Oasis, Smith & Stone Roses. In that order. Probably.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
It really is simple - The Roses.

Superb band, best ever debut album -Q Album of the Millenium - FACT

And Ian Brown is still a legend producing great tracks.

The Smiths are not worthy and Oasis are not fit to be mentioned in the same thread.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Hehe. One album wonders Roses v Smiths/Fall? Hehehe.

The new album of the Fall sounds ace too.

The Second Coming is a great album, it suffered from too high expectations.

Go and have a listen, it is better than great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here