Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Man Speech

Bez

Jul 14, 2003
On the 7th Oct I have the duty of giving a best mans speech. Now Im ok with it, but I could do with some tips or some quality one liners.

Help!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
1. Make sure everyone is drunk
2. Don't be too rude about the bride (although I was - didn't like her very much at all, they're now divorced)
3. Don't drink beforehand

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Mention the mother in law and say what a lucky man the groom is knowing that his new wife will look like her in 20 years time :p

Oct 25, 2003
do impressions of everyone in a really harsh way

"i'm steve, look at me, i'm really great, i can't have kids"

or something like that

go down a TREAT

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Ive used this one twice now and both times it's got the biggest laugh. It involves giving marital advice to the bride & groom.

Secondly, Married Life Can Be Compared To Football ... so, Be Fully Committed Every Week And Make Sure You Score Every Saturday. Make sure you change ends at half time and don’t put your tackle in too hard coz it could bloody hurt!

However, "Enter Brides Name" Assures Me That Playing Away From Home Could Result In A Serious Groin Injury, And Is Definitely The Quickest Way Onto The Transfer List.

Ignore Harveys, he's trying to ruin it for you.

Drink as much as you possibly can before your turn.
Make sure you use any embarrassing stories you have about the groom.
Compliment the bride on how good she looks, but then back it up by saying how rough she normally looks. Make reference to her mother at this point if you want.
Thank the bridesmaids, but then make a lewd comment about thanking the chief bridesmaid properly later.
Propose a toast to the happy couple, then use the wrong names.
Head for the bar.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Make sure you apologise for the fact that there are now two more Mother-in-Laws in the world.

This went down well at the weeding I went to on Saturday:

"<bride's name> has organised the wedding with her customery attention to detail. I have been obeying her instructions with a mixture of duty and fear but I had to draw the line this morning, when he asked me to rub vaseline on <groom's name's> ring"

Boom Boom

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It gives me the greatest of pleasure....but we are not here to talk about that...

Boom Boom

Or man goes to the doctors...says..." Doctor, I keep getting these terrible headaches" Doctor says, can i ask you a personal question, " Yes " replies the man...." Do you masterbate?"... Yes says the man......." Great isn't it!!!"

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The reality is that if you are not comfortable and confident with telling gags don't attempt them. Alternatively just be sincere and it's often more appreciated than jokes told badly that fall flat on their arse either due to poor delivery or content.

If you want to take the gag route the internet is full of sites with nice little one liners and and sayings.

Always remember the audience is on your side and most will be half cut.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
The old
You'll be pleased to know "grooms name" slept llike a baby last night, he woke up every hour crying for his mummy

always goes down well.
Think the idea is to be funny without insulting, I've been a best man 3 times now, and the speech has always gone down well, sorry to brag but one of them I had about 4 people come up to me saying it was the best they'd heard, smug bastard :rolleyes:
Thing is everyone will be on your side anyway, people would of had a couple of drinks, and been warmed up by the other speeches beforehand.

Another one was I read one card out last time

"I'm only going to read one card today, it's from grooms name old football team. It says dear brides name, after 6 years of trying grooms name, was useless in every postion, heres hoping you have more luck"

If you do want some pointers feel free to pm me

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
It's customary to tell a story or 2 about the groom, however after looking for his skeletons I found he didn't even have a closet, so I shall tell a story about the bride (whilst unravelling a roll of paper).

Now as tradtion states the person who wears the trousers now sys a few words, however today brides name has told me that groom's name is going to do it

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I once had to make a best-man's speech in English and French (I'm not recommending this you understand, this is just what happened to me).

My cousin married a French woman so I had to get my speech translated into French (which I speak a bit but not that well) and say everything twice.

The funny thing was it went down a storm - mainly because I just took the piss out of the English which the French guests loved.

Moral of the story - make sure the gags are directed at yourself and the groom - no one else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here