Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best lager

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Peroni, corona, carling, tsing tau all very nice indeed!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Genuinely can't decide if Hürlimann a.k. Hooligan should be in the 'Best lager' or 'Worst lager' thread, so am posting it in both. Its certainly one very strange loopy juice. Possibly The STRANGEST Lager In The World.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Although I tend to go for ale when I'm in a British pub I'm not so snobbish that I don't enjoy lager too.

Pilsner Urquell, as already mentioned, is the godfather of lager and I can always happily enjoy that stuff if I'm lucky enough to be somewhere that serves it.

If I'm picking some tins up from the offy, I often plump for Poland's Tyskie which is available pretty much anywhere these days.

And if I'm in the sort of pub that only has a handful of big brand lagers you get everywhere I'm happy enough with a Heineken.

Now of course on the continent I have many favourites. Croatia's Ozujsko is a lovely drop, as is Bulgaria's Kamenitza and Turkey's ubiquitous Efes always goes down well too. In Belgium, Germany and the Czech Republic you're spoiled for choice so I usually drink whichever beer is brewed closest to where I am.

At Oktoberfest this year I drank my own bodyweight in Munich's Paulaner beer and I'd do it again!

Lager gets a bad name because a lot of the most common brands such as Carling, Kronenbourg and Fosters are complete shit however any real beer fan will tell you that the best of the lagers are right up there with the best of the ales.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
In no Particular Order:

Warsteiner
Erdinger
San Miguel
Hoegarden

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
17052.jpg

Another favourite, but may have something to do with the circumstances that it is usually enjoyed in!

getz

Jan 15, 2010
At the age of 15 in 1960 I bought a bottle of Skol. God that tasted weird to my untried tastebuds . Since then there is only one lager for me . Leffe blonde at 6.7% It has such an unique taste.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4495686 said:
17052.jpg

Another favourite, but may have something to do with the circumstances that it is usually enjoyed in!

Good CALL! Certainly happy days compared to the wall-to-wall Amstel they used to serve up on Greek islands. Gotta admit though that after about day four on the Mythos, I'm usually desperately seeking a big bottle of Heineken and a frosty glass.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Asahi
Anything Czech
Orangeboom

Many of the German ones are blonde beer and while amazing, surely not strictly lager? Warsteiner is great but Hoegarden isn't lager is it?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
negromodelo.jpg

A DARK larger, but a larger none the less. Absolutely delicious, but quite lethal! Drank a few to many of these during Euro 2004 in Tijuana and woke up with a tattoo on my arm and $500 lighter!

Think Wetherspoons sells it now! :lolol:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Can't believe that the PROPER Budweiser (Budvar) hasn't had a shout as yet - following a Prague visit a few years back I can confirm it is one of many MARVELLOUS Czech Beers.....:cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here