Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best lager you've ever drunk?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
In context -- Pirroni, in Italy.

(It was 103 F and we had spent the day in the treeless wastes of Pompeii in July. I seriously doubt it would make anyone's shortlist on its merits in the abstract.)

Seriously -- Pilsener Urquell, hands down. One great benefit from the collapse of Communism is that it gets to the States much more quickly, before the time-in-the-bottle does its damage.

Even in the mid-70's when it was a real rarity (Wursthaus, Harvard Square, Cambridge), and the bottles you got were god knows how many months in transit, it was a wonder -- you can tell how tall the mountain by how long the shadow.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Ccider said:
Had some Hepworth Blonde yesterday, brewed in Horsham - different, but probably not the best.

:drink:

I'm guessing by the name that that isn't actually a lager, but a belgian style blonde beer.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Something in Wigan a few years back before and afte watching us get battered 4-0. God, what was it called... ??? Witch's something. Local lager and stunningly good (and strong). Walked into a lamppost later that night. :)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
tommy boy said:
anyone had carib?

girlfriend is from trinidad and she always BANGS on about it

It's cold and it quenches a thirst on a hot day in T&T, which is just what you want.

Wouldn't drink it in Europe though.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
NewtownRoad said:
Up there with Leffe Blonde and Duval.

Not to be compared in the same sentence, since Leffe Blond is Canvey Island to Duvel's Brazil.

But as Voroshilov correctly points out, these are both ales anyway.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Koenig Pilsener - brewed in Duisburg on a site which now covers where my grandparents had a pub where I spent my first ever Xmas aged six months. Like Obelix, I feel like I must have been dipped in it at the time.

Anyway, Koenig is a magical, beautiful lager and now much more easily available throughout western Germany - although sadly seemingly completely unattainable in the UK. Fill your boots of this gorgeous stuff during the world cup.

Sod this lemon/Vitamin C bollocks though:
http://www.koenig.de/index-flash.php

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here