Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best game seen live as a 'neutral'...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Some stick out.....Palace v Man Utd ( years ago )..Palace 2 up early...Best and Law then got 5 goals between them before easing off....think it finished 3-5.....Reading v Plymouth ( 80's )...Plymouth 3 up at HT ( Gary Nelson on fire )...Reading win 4-3 courtesy of Kevin Bremner and Trevor Senior....Burnley v Wolves at Wembley...two proud clubs ( both in bottom division !! ) contesting a minor cup final in front of 90,000....Chelsea 3 Tottenham 2 LC Semi-Final...nearly 60,000 crammed into Stamford Bridge...Osgood was like a man possessed...awesome....dragging his team back from a losing position....Bayern Munich v Hamburg...Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller, Sepp Maier etc..need I say more....walking up to the Olympic Stadium and seeing the approach road called the " Lillian Board Strasse " was truly moving.

I'd never heard of her before you mentioned that name, so I looked her up.

What a brilliant (short) career, and what a dreadful tragedy.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
West Ham v Everton FAC QF in about 1992/3 or Brentford v Fulham in 1991/2/3
I'm not good with years...

D

Deleted member 18477

Holland 2 - 3 Czech Republic in Aveiro, Portugal during Euro 2004.

Chelsea v Arsenal 2-3

Can't remember the year, 1999 maybe? Chelsea were two up. Then Arsenal went for it, Overmars, Bergkamp, Henry, Suker & Kanu up front i think. Kanu hattrick, with that amazing 3rd goal, prolly the best goal i've seen live.

Top games!

Camicus

Best Fulham V Wolves craven cottage 1984.
Worst Rushden and diamonds V Telford United c2000 wednesday evening raining bloody awful beer/pies

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
1970 Highfield Road.Coventry v Everton.

Willie Carr traps the ball between his heels and flips a free kick up for Ernie Hunt (Brilli-unt) to volley into the net.

They changed the free kick rule thereafter.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hellas Verona 3 Chievo Verona 2

Featuring a quite brilliant, match-changing own goal.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The only one I can think of going to as a neutral was the charity shield a few years ago between Liverpool and Chelsea when Riise pinged it in the bottom corner from 30 yards after running from his own box

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Fulham 4-1 Juventus

Not so much a neutral, given that I think most the watching nation was probably egging them on that night. But it was a cracker; last 16 of the Europa League - Fulham needed to overturn a 3-1 deficit from the first leg, which was looking nigh on impossible after Trezeguet put Juve ahead after just 2 minutes. Bobby grabbed an equaliser, then Cannavaro was sent off, and the comeback was underway. Gera struck twice either side of half-time, bringing things level at 4-4 on aggregate, before Clint Dempsey scored the most sensational chip late on to dump out the Italians on one of the greatest nights in their history.

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
Germany 1-2 Czech rep euro 2004 got a ticket for next to nothing (considering the amounts they were asking for england tickets) and sat in amongst the german fans made it even better!

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
This is an easy one for me as it was Portsmouth v Barnsley at Fratton Park around 10 years ago...Although strictly not a neutral as I was in the away end.

The Albion played on the Friday night and I think we beat Cardiff en route to winning (what is now) League 1. Another Albion fan I know has a soft spot for Barnsley as it is his dads team so him, me and an Everton fan we know trundled off down the coast.

We saw a fantastic game which ended 4-4 but it had everything. Pompey has Robert Prosinečki playing for them and we was superb scoring a stunning hat-trick. There was some quality football being and after Portsmouth found themseves 4-2 up Linvoy Primus got himself sent-off...Barnsley then scored the resulting penalty and then bagged an injury time equaliser. Quality stuff.

I was also at Palace's first game of the season against Watford where the Hornets scored 2 late goals to win 3-2 which was very satisfactory, but then again, as above I was hardly neutral in that game!

But the Pompey v Barnsley game has to be the best.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Wimbledon 2 Wycombe 2 AET
(Wycombe win 8-7 on penalties)
FA Cup in 2001
Wycombe were reduced to 10 men, and survived a penalty in the third minute of injury time, and were a goal behind after 34 seconds of extra time, and equalised in the 120th minute, and won 8-7 in a 20-penalty shoot-out.. Went with a load of Wycombe fans.. Was at Smellhurst, but the footy made up for it..

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Portugal v Spain, Euro 2004. Just a great carnival of colour, with passionate fans on both sides. Portugal won 1-0 and the party in Lisbon after was great.
Little did we know that Vicente would be gracing our treatment table, 7 years later!!!

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
1992 Newcastle Utd vs Notts Forest league cup 4th or 5th round game. I went to Newcastle Uni and still live here. We had a tradition as students that when our team was playing the Toon we'd all go any support the mate's team in the away end. They got treated to some rancid Albion performances but that's another story. Our mate Graham got a seat in the Forest end and the rest of when on the Leazes terrace to the side and below. Newcastle went 2 up and it was a poor game. Anyway we shouting and singing at Graham above us in the stand to liven things up at half time. In response he pulled a quick moonie. We cheered and some other Forest fans noticed and started cheering too. So he another but a big longer with a bit more cheek. The whole away noticed that one. So he got on his seat and gave it the full monty not noticing the police on the touch line clocking him. 60 seconds later he pulled out the ground and the whole away end was jumping. Forest came out to the 2nd half and they must wondered what the hell was going on but the noise the away was making really gave them a lift. They starting playing like kings and slaughtered Newcastle. Got the game back to 2-2 and forced a reply. I have never laughed so much in my life but nor have I seen the (indirect) actions of a fan have such a impact on a game. He got a £70 fine for indecent exposure. I can't remember the game but the the policeman clocking him I'll never forget - legendary.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Everton 1 Spurs 4 first game of 84/85 season Everton were taken apart by Spurs but still went on to win the league.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
West Ham 8 Newcastle 1 in 1986 when i was living in Leyton.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=west+ham+8+newcastle+1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CCQQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTpTuAe5brG0&ei=qGGBULWHB9KX0QXLq4HIBA&usg=AFQjCNG_VQMVK36xyAnxu6zD6Dc-8h2jQQ

Alvin Martin scored a hat-trick against 3 different Newcastle keepers (1 sent off, 1 carried off). Peter Beardsley ended up in goal. Geordie fans went MENTAL when they scored to pull it back to 1-7.

FA Cup SF 1976 Southampton 2 Palace 0 was quite good too. In the palace end as my uncle got us tickets (he worked for Bloye the Palace chairman). They were weeping as they left in their mock fedora hats.

PG

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Chelsea v Man City in the Full Members Cup Final when I was doing my "see all finals at Wembley". It finished 5-4, Chelsea lead 5-1 and Man City then scored three in the last 5 minutes.

Interestingly Doug Rougvie, Colin Pates and Keith Dublin all played for Chelsea and Neil McNab for City

[yt]DeSvlHC_yT0[/yt]

But also the NSC sponsored Lewes v Redbridge game when Lewes were 4-0 down at half time and came back to win 5-4

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here