Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BEST forgotten 3 Albion players you have seen

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Superseagull said:
Aussie midfielder whose name I can't remember. Played when Barry Lloyd was manager. Class player who never seemed to be liked by Lloyd and disappeared off back to Oz. Seem to remember that we got invovled with a load of legal action to do with his transfer which probably led to his premature departure. Dave Clarkson seems to ring a bell?

I thought he was a cracking player.

There was a centre half back in the eighties, Derek Coughlan I think his name was, who looked excellent, but got released because his attitude wasn't right I think.

Anyone remember Franco Massimo and David Gipp?

And who was that big centre half who scored the only goal at Barnet and never appeared again? Ifejiagwa or something?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Emeka Ifajiagwa, think he may have been Nigerian, played for us on loan from someone or other.

I would go with Clarkson, looked pretty useful but wanted to go back to Oz, later played against Man Utd for an Aussie side in the World Club Championship. I always liked Paul McCarthy, the man we signed instead of Roy Keane, allegedly, was sad when he left for Wycombe. Also Richie "the Bear" Barker, went back up north for family reasons but his heart was definitely with the Albion at pretty much our darkest hour.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Lumbering oaf who went on loan to Bristol City.

Lumbering oaf who went on loan to Swindon Town,

Possibly lumbering oaf pursuing a video career in Italy.

All sadly recent.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Gullsworth said:
Post here the three players who are easily forgotten and i am sure someone will remember their names:dunce: :( :lolol:

Start with these,

1) The other Russian who played about the same time as Gotsmonov (spelling?)

2) That nipper who scored a Hat-trick or even 4 on his debut?

3) The bloke who played for the Albion then faced them in the cup for Crawley Town?

Just shows how weekly drinking binges dulls the memory:glare: :lolol:

Well, Tony Towner will never be forgotten by me!! Or did you mean Tony Vessey??

However perhaps that's just me age. So I give you:-

1)Who was the bloke we had on loan from Charlton when we were at Gillingham who we we couldn't keep when his loan period ended?

2) Gavin Oliver

3) Steve Jacobs

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
1) David Gipp
We thought he would be something special

2) Kevin Mc something
Was meant to be at 17 years old a great one for the future what happened to him?

3) Darryl Ryan

Should of made more of what he had

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Herne Hill Seagull said:

There was a centre half back in the eighties, Derek Coughlan I think his name was, who looked excellent, but got released because his attitude wasn't right I think.

And who was that big centre half who scored the only goal at Barnet and never appeared again? Ifejiagwa or something?

Franco Massimo was a mate of mine when at school in the late seventies.

I went to a Forest away match in the late eighties when Mullery was back in charge and he was a sub.

Did he make many first team appearances?

Chopper West

Dec 9, 2004
Mark Gall, signed from Maidstone for £45k and was top scorer in the one season he played for us. Forced to retire through injury, although there were rumours that he had a naughty salt habit too. Scored the goal in a 1-0 victory at Newcastle that caused Kevin Keegan to FLOUNCE out of St James Park and resign in a manner that would even impress some of NSC's most notable prima donnas.

Ian Muir, signed by Chris Cattlin but never given a chance in the first team, left on a free transfer and went on to be Tranmere's record ever striker (180 goals in 8 seasons) and then signed for West Brom for £250k.

Giles Stille, scored against Southampton and Liverpool in his first couple of games for the club, but again injury prevented him developing into the player he could have been. Now a success in Sweden.

Chopper West

Dec 9, 2004
Re: Re: BEST forgotten 3 Albion players you have seen

Screaming J said:

3) Steve Jacobs

Steve Jacobs was well hard. I recall Cattlin describing him as the Clint Eastwood of the division, silent but deadly.

His greatest moment was in the 2-2 draw against Peterboro in the 4th/5th round of the 1985/6 FA Cup on a frozen pitch. The match never should have been played, but when everyone else was scared of the ice JACOBS steamed in to score the equaliser when we were 2-1 down with about 10 minutes left.

After the match it kicked off big style in town.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Herne Hill Seagull said:

Absolutely.

I remember when we used to go to all the mid-week reserve games at the Goldstone. It was a quid for oldies and free for nippers. 4,000 against Arsenal.

Gipp, Massimo and Ian Muir all looked quality in the reserves but none could ever get a run in the firsts.

All of the regulars at the reserves knew Muir was a great player, but it took a move away to prove it. Gipp and Massimo on the other hand dissappeared into obscurity.

Last edited:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Herne Hill Seagull said:

Went to school with Franco's older brother, Tony. Franco suffered with injuries, I believe, not sure where he ended up.

D

Deleted User X18H

chez said:
Gurinovich scored in the FA Cup 3rd round for us against Scunthorpe at the Goldstone I seem to remember 15th Dec 1990. Might be wrong though.
I am not aware of the 3rd round of the FA Cup being played in December expect perhaps in 1999/2000

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Cassidy, Kit Napier and Stewart Henderson.

Chopper West

Dec 9, 2004
Soton Seagull said:
Steve Penney - cracking little player in the mid 80s. NI international to boot (although that's not difficult thing to becone!

Was Steve Penney the last Albion player to appear in the World Cup whilst playing for the Albion at the time?

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Who you forget depends partly on your age cos you have had to see them first!!

Anyone remeember?

Willie Bell-class international full back-here for just one season
Ian Goodwin- rock hard but injury prone
Bertie Lutton-crucail goals when we went up in '72 then semed to disappear
:eek:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Bish Bosh said:
Who you forget depends partly on your age cos you have had to see them first!!

Anyone remeember?

Ian Goodwin- rock hard but injury prone
Bertie Lutton-crucail goals when we went up in '72 then semed to disappear
:eek:

Ian Goodwin was the original tank and would make Guy look small-boned. I remember him having a decent game against Chelsea in the cup.
I think Lutton went to West Ham but never established himself.

Some 70s players I would add would be:
Tommy Mason and Billy McEwan in midfield.
Sammy Morgan and Malcolm Poskett up front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here