Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Festival line up this Summer.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As with every year for the past about 5 years, the answer IS Coachella.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
You've missed it - Primavera Sound in Barcelona:

Pulp, The National, Flaming Lips, P.I.L, Grinderman, Interpol, Mercury Rev, Mogwai, PJ Harvey, The Walkmen, Sufjan Stevens, Suicide, John Cale, Swans, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Yuck, Battles, Factory Floor, Bearsuit, Belle & Sebastian, Caribou, Galaxie 500, Deerhunter, Echo & The Bunnymen, Einstürzende Neubauten, Explosions In the Sky, Gold Panda, Islet, Kurt Vile, Male Bonding, Of Montreal, Pere Ubu, Shellac, The Monochrome Set, Comet Gain...

Best festival ever!

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Want to go to Bestival.

The Cure:drool:

Primal Scream, Pendulum, Fat boy slim, the Maccabees, the Drums

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Me and the wife were considering going elsewhere this year but all things considered we still think Glastonbury is the best festival in Europe. Other fezzies might have better line ups but Glasto is a true festival and not just a collection of bands in a field. Lots of other little things make it fairly unique eg being able to camp within the site, allowed to take as much booze in as you see fit, it does not totally shut down at night etc.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Me and the wife were considering going elsewhere this year but all things considered we still think Glastonbury is the best festival in Europe. Other fezzies might have better line ups but Glasto is a true festival and not just a collection of bands in a field. Lots of other little things make it fairly unique eg being able to camp within the site, allowed to take as much booze in as you see fit, it does not totally shut down at night etc.

If only it was still any good.. Full of Rutland boys and girls and dickheads there because they fancied a step up from 'Reading'. More and more people being shoehorned in for a higher ticket price. You can't move between stages and the peace and love hippies charge you £6 for a portion of chips.

Glasto used to be amazing but it's dead to me now. Evis sold out big time and if it's the best festival going then I don't think I'll bother with them.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Just played Bulmers' Forbidden Fruit festival in Dublin last sunday which was okay, but only a very small brand new thing. Next up is the Big Chill, which last time i went was brilliant.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I've not been to Glastonbury for years now. I was offered a freebie this year, but I've got such good memories and
everyone I know who's been lately has slagged it off, so I'm going to give it a miss.

I now going to Camp Bestival with the family, how times have changed!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If only it was still any good.. Full of Rutland boys and girls and dickheads there because they fancied a step up from 'Reading'. More and more people being shoehorned in for a higher ticket price. You can't move between stages and the peace and love hippies charge you £6 for a portion of chips.

Glasto used to be amazing but it's dead to me now. Evis sold out big time and if it's the best festival going then I don't think I'll bother with them.

I really do not see it this way. It has changed, it had to. But to say more and more people are being shoe-horned in ignores the fact that the geographical size of the site has vastly increased, as an example the entire 'The Park' area has only recently opened up. There are other areas which have been extended as well. Moving between stages has never really been an issue for me. I'm not the sort who charges around trying to tick off bands though.

The size of it is the main attraction for me. If you want to go into the city centre go to the Pyramid stage. Equally if you want a quiet time and to chill out head to The Park or one of the many other fields. The Park is especially good as it has no 'through traffic'. If you want a completely bonkers time Arcadia. If you have the family it's Kidz Field. If you dont have a family still go to Kidz Field.

btw the worst festival is The Big Chill.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
But to say more and more people are being shoe-horned in ignores the fact that the geographical size of the site has vastly increased

The size did increase, but not substantially enough to accommodate the massive influx of tickets. It's getting more and more cramped and costing more and more money.

I'm not the sort who charges around trying to tick off bands though.

Nor am I. Far from it. Festivals are about so much more than just the music. Which makes it even more annoying when trying to get around. Especially between the Other and Pyramid stages.

In what way?

It feels less and less like it's about the festival experience and more and more like it's just about the money.

I can appreciate your point of view though, I used to love Glastonbury and go every year but I don't bother anymore.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The size did increase, but not substantially enough to accommodate the massive influx of tickets. It's getting more and more cramped and costing more and more money.

Nor am I. Far from it. Festivals are about so much more than just the music. Which makes it even more annoying when trying to get around. Especially between the Other and Pyramid stages.

It feels less and less like it's about the festival experience and more and more like it's just about the money.

I can appreciate your point of view though, I used to love Glastonbury and go every year but I don't bother anymore.

If you have been and have these views then fair enough. They are opinions I often hear but do not agree with.

As for the money aspect I feel it is value, given the site is open from Wednesday until Monday, given the number of bands and given the other stuff. The food and drink can be pricey but the possibly unique (for big festivals) selling point of Glasto is the ability to take as much food and booze in with you. I cannot think of another fezzie which allows this. Some allow limited amounts....others have a strict no booze policy. And mainly, the profits go to charity.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As with most years Bestival has the best all round line up of any festival (oustide of Glastonbury where the line up is so deep it would have to really struggle to have a poor line up).

Bestival 2011 - Artists - 2011 Lineup

The varied dj line up probably matches Glastonbury, in fact.

Interesting point about the DJ line up....on the big stages I think this has become increasingly weak at Glasto. This year is very ropey. That said, there is always some nutty stuff going off in one of the smaller tents. Block9 and NY Downlow have some good stuff programmed. And I remember dancing around to some excellent techno in a huge pin ball machine one year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here