Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best European ground to visit for a game….

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Has anyone done a trip to Union Saint-Gilloise and has any advice? I couldn't see any tickets for sale on their website but that might be because it looks like you have to register. Have applied and am awaiting approval!

I have but they were in second division at the time. Still apart from v Anderlecht they rarely sell out so once registered it should be fine - European teams often put games on sale quite late.

It’s a cracking stadium, if you like old skool stadiums it’s stunning. Be sure to visit the club bar at the front of the stand.

akipling

Jan 12, 2010
Morecambe
We’ve stayed the at Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof Ibis which you don’t even need to exit the station for. As a base I couldn’t recommend it enough, perfect for flying into Düsseldorf and a great hub for the whole of the region. Just looked on booking.com and it’s £61/night for a twin/double room, absolute bargain.

Unfortunately Düsseldorf are away that weekend which is a really nice ground but as cities go, it’s defo the best around that region for nightlife.

Altbier the local drink of choice. Kolsch in Cologne which I preferred out of the two.

F**k! You’ve got me looking at another trip now, I’m still Koln (even tho I’ve walked round), Bochum and Monchengladbach short in that region….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
As I said in a previous post - teams like Essen, Oberhausen, Wuppertal, Aachen are absolute gems and all in the same region. They’ll also kick off at different times throughout the weekend. You should get 3 decent games in….and a lot of beer.

Try bounce this thread around mid/late feb and fixtures will start getting released.

Do not go to Essen, probably the worst area in Germany.

Off that list Mainz is the best and Leverkusen, easy and cheap tickets and can stay in cologne. Possibility to go to both, games move to Friday and Sundays.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Do not go to Essen, probably the worst area in Germany.

Off that list Mainz is the best and Leverkusen, easy and cheap tickets and can stay in cologne. Possibility to go to both, games move to Friday and Sundays.

Yeah but his brief is football & beer. It’s not an attractive region in general but Essen are a team finally on the up and produce a cracking match day experience. Düsseldorf isn’t exactly beautiful and Leverkusen is dull as anything.

Obviously everyone has different opinions but of the 16 I’ve done in the region I’d say best match day experience/day out and be had has been

1. Koln
2. Dortmund
3. Mainz
4. Bielefeld
5. Schalke
6. Monchengladbach
7. Düsseldorf
8. Leverkusen

Then of lower leagues

1. Essen
2. Wuppertal
3. Oberhausen
4. Duisburg
5. Viktoria Koln

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
evening everyone,

I’m hitting the big 40 in march and my son wants to take me to a European fixture, i’ve thought maybe Dortmund but seems it’s near impossible to get a ticket, just wondering if anyone has been there for a game, or can recommend any other grounds to go to…. have done munich, nou camp, Pge narodowy (warsaw) and psg

looking around april,may time….

Combined with a city break, especially if you like to hire a bike, then we found Valencia brilliant. Watched Levante v Real Madrid and tickets were cheap and easy to buy directly in advance. Chilled rather than a great atmosphere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here