Votes: 25 51.0%
  • Steve McClownren

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Hoggy

Controversial!
Sep 28, 2006
BN1
Who was/is the best manager in the last ten or so years?

i saw premiership years earlier and me and my brother agreed that it was probably Hoddle on record alone, and was the last manager that had us playing decent football!!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
venables. although keegan was sheer BRILLIANCE

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Got to be Venables. We were good to watch & you always felt we would beat whoever we were playing. He got the best out of Gazza; in fact he got the best out of all the players he picked.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
When you look at that list it is a surprise that we have made it to any WC or EC finals...it is bloody abysmal.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I read somewhere that Hoddle was statistically the best England manager. Can't seem to google it though.

Has anyone got a link to the stats?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Venables constantly gets the rose-tinted spectacles treatment. He only managed England for one tournament, one where we had home advantage. We played five games: we're poor against Switzerland, poor against Scotland, good against Holland (although it was subsequently revealed that the Dutch were virtually at war with each other), lucky against Spain and good against Germany. It's not a fantastic record and I really don't understand why he's so rated - I can only assume it's because he's a bit of a character; doesn't make him a good manager though.

Hoddle on the other hand is a bit under-rated: he was putting together a decent team and might have done well if he hadn't opened his big mouth.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I read somewhere that Hoddle was statistically the best England manager. Can't seem to google it though.

Has anyone got a link to the stats?

I read an article in the Times a few weeks back. This had Sven as the best manager statistically. Not sure where Hoddle came.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The dullest was Sven, the worst was Keegan, the best was Venables, but the one I enjoyed watching the most was Hoddle's

Hoddle wins because performances that entertain are more important than points imo. I know 90% of you would rather be bored to tears and scrape through, I'd rather win or lose in style

Who was/is the best manager in the last ten or so years?

i saw premiership years earlier and me and my brother agreed that it was probably Hoddle on record alone, and was the last manager that had us playing decent football!!

What he said.
Hoddle was a little strange about those dressing-room techniques, with spoon-bending faith healers and all that. His buddhist expressions were not welcomed or required, so it's a pity he felt the need to express them.

The Tournoi De France saw us playing the best, most complete passing football I have ever seen. Shame it sent out such a warning to the rest of the football world, so that we'd have to be knocked out of the following WCF's by cheating Argies.
As ever, cheating is the way that foreign players see as a way to defeat us, and referees have duly assisted them.

When Simone poleaxed Beckham, he didn't get sent off, but Becks did for flicking his leg up while on the ground. Simone was shot and killed? No, but he acted like he was, and off went Beckham. We eve got a winning goal disallowed by the cheating ref. How much did the argies pay him?

Hoddle had his moment, and it was a shining one for our football game. I'm not sure his mental state would have kept it going though, had he stayed in the job.

As for Sven - I think the Germany 1-5 game was more to do with incensed players who got up for the occasion, than his tactical genius. If he kept the job for a thousand years, we would never win anything.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
As for Sven - I think the Germany 1-5 game was more to do with incensed players who got up for the occasion, than his tactical genius. If he kept the job for a thousand years, we would never win anything.

But Sven Statistcally is England's best manager. The main reason that any England manager will not achieve anything is because the players are not good enough

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
We eve got a winning goal disallowed by the cheating ref. How much did the argies pay him?

We had a goal disallowed because Shearer elbowed the Argentinian 'keeper in the face. Don't forget that the ref also turned down a penalty appeal from Argentina after Adams handballed in the box, which would have won them the match in normal time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here