Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best CLUB side ever?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So, with all the praise of the current Barcelona side, who do YOU think was the best club side ever?

Not knowing too much about South American football I would have to pick someone from Europe.

I for one don't put Barcelona in the same bracket as the following JUST yet.

Real Madrid of the mid 1950s.
Liverpool of the late 1970s.
Bayern of the mid 1970s.
and the great Ajax total football team of the early 1970s.

However, for me, the best I can remember seeing player has to be the AC Milan team of the later 19080s and early 1990s. I think they would pretty much OWN the current Barca team.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm not sure. I'd like to throw Clough's Nottingham Forset into the mix, not that I was around at the time.

I would also like to throw in the post-war Wolves team into the mix... after all, European football came about because they were so dominant domestically that they needed a greater challenge.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
So, with all the praise of the current Barcelona side, who do YOU think was the best club side ever?

Not knowing too much about South American football I would have to pick someone from Europe.

I for one don't put Barcelona in the same bracket as the following JUST yet.

Real Madrid of the mid 1950s.
Liverpool of the late 1970s.
Bayern of the mid 1970s.
and the great Ajax total football team of the early 1970s.

However, for me, the best I can remember seeing player has to be the AC Milan team of the later 19080s and early 1990s. I think they would pretty much OWN the current Barca team.

Would agree with all you have written here Walt. The best ever performance I think I have seen from a club side was AC Milan's victory over a by no means poor Barcelona side in the 1994 (?) Champions League Final. The 4-0 scoreline by no means flattered AC. Outplayed Barcelona from the kick-off to the ninetieth minute.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That AC Milan side of the early 90's was a bit special, with the dutch Holy Trinity of Van Basten, Gullitt and Rijkaard in their pomp, and Donadoni.
Maldini and Baresi at the back. Wonderful team to watch. I think they did Real Madrid 5-0 at the San Siro once in one of their most scintillating performances.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Real Madrid of the 50s surely?

Five European cups in a row was some achievement - no-one else has got close to it.

And I don't think we'll see another team scoring 7 in a Euro final again either.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Would agree with all you have written here Walt. The best ever performance I think I have seen from a club side was AC Milan's victory over a by no means poor Barcelona side in the 1994 (?) Champions League Final. The 4-0 scoreline by no means flattered AC. Outplayed Barcelona from the kick-off to the ninetieth minute.

I can remember watching that on a school trip to the Lake District. Didn't Dejan Savicevic notch a beauty and Massaro play out of his skin?

I think that was the same Stoichkov inspired Barca side that owned United's kids in the Nou Camp.

Five European cups in a row was some achievement - no-one else has got close to it.

And I don't think we'll see another team scoring 7 in a Euro final again either.

What a side that was. di Sterfano, Gento, Puskas, and the others, got to be the greatest club side ever.

I met Puskas once; short, fat, balding, chain smoking man, didn't look like a footballer at all. But he was a great player.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm not sure. I'd like to throw Clough's Nottingham Forset into the mix, not that I was around at the time.

I would also like to throw in the post-war Wolves team into the mix... after all, European football came about because they were so dominant domestically that they needed a greater challenge.

I thought the European Cup came about because the English press dubbed Wolves champions of europe / the world after wolves beat honved 3-2 on a deliberately waterlogged pitch. The French paper l'equipe challenged the English to prove it via a competition for domestic league winners.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That AC Milan side of the early 90's was a bit special, with the dutch Holy Trinity of Van Basten, Gullitt and Rijkaard in their pomp, and Donadoni.
Maldini and Baresi at the back. Wonderful team to watch. I think they did Real Madrid 5-0 at the San Siro once in one of their most scintillating performances.

Mmmm, I've got that on DVD. I've never watched it, though!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I thought the European Cup came about because the English press dubbed Wolves champions of europe / the world after wolves beat honved 3-2 on a deliberately waterlogged pitch. The French paper l'equipe challenged the English to prove it via a competition for domestic league winners.

... which the Football League then forbade the current league title holders (Chelsea, in this instance) from entering. The SFA were a bit more enlightened, an Hibernian reached the inaugural European Cup semi-final.

For the following season's competition (the 1956/7 season), again the Football League told the title holders, Manchester United this time, not to enter. Matt Busby told them to do one, and entered United into the European Cup.

They made a sluggish start, winning the first home match 10-0 against Anderlecht, eventually losing to Real Madrid in the semi-final.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Has anyone ever had as successful a year as Barca's last year?

La Liga
Copa Del Rey
Champions League
World Club Cup

Beautiful Expansive football
AMAZING goal difference in La Liga.

If we were talking year by year, that years' was the BEST club side ever. If they can continue that (looks like they can) within about 2-3 years they can be considered the best club side ever.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Real Madrid of the 60s although not all European nations played in the European Cup in those days. There's a good shout for Celtic in 1967.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008

Wasn't there only 4 teams in the competition at the time though?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We are taking into account that old football was rubbish, yes?

Nowadays Barca team would paste pretty much anyone, when you see what they do to the current Man Utd, Arsenal and Real Madrid sides.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Liverpool of the mid-late 80s was better than the Liverpool of the late 70s IMO.

They just never got a chance to prove it in Europe.

And neither did Everton due to the behaviour of the Liverpool fans.

Had it not been for the ban would Howard Kendall's Everton side of 1985, with extra transfer activity, gone on to dominate europe?

Lineker might not have gone off to Barca for a start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here