Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best british Films

Stumpy Tim

Kylies Stunt Arse said:
Trainspotting.
Shallow Grave

I'm amazed no one has mentioned these yet.

Exactly what I was thinking. Life of Brian is the best British film ever IMO. By quite a distance too.

I always like Nil by Mouth too. A bit like WhaleRider, but not quite as brutal

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not sure how Witness for the Prosecution classifies as a British film. It was made with Hollywood money, in the USA and shot by an American-Austrian director,

There have been some good ones on this list. I'm pleased to see some Powell/Pressburger films on the list. No-one's mentioned Peeping Tom, which is still weird today, must have been terrifying in the 60s. I also really like A Canterbury Tale and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.

The cast-iron classic that I haven't seen mentioned is Kind Hearts and Coronets, the blackest of black comedies. I'll always love watching that.

No mention of Hitchcock either. Some of the films he made before he went to Hollywood are absolute classics, especially The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes.

What about some of the films from the early 60s, a great time for British cinema. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning still packs a punch. And there's Billy Liar, Tom Jones, Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, If... and This Sporting Life to consider.

But some good calls (Brighton Rock, Get Carter, The Third Man, Wicker Man Long Good Friday and many more).

Am I the only person on NSC who thinks Lock, Stock etc is totally over-rated? I don't think it's terrible but really average and I wouldn't put in the top 50 British films. I'm not wild about The Full Monty or Billy Elliot either.

Stumpy Tim

Gwylan said:
No mention of Hitchcock either. Some of the films he made before he went to Hollywood are absolute classics, especially The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes.

Great call Gwylan. 39 Steps is a brilliant film! It's amazing how these films are forgotten when shite like Brassed Off can be mentioned

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
nil by mouth , good call. superb film.

i think lock stock and snatch are great films (essentially the same film really) but yes , very over rated and the geezer geezer lahndan-ness of it can be grating. still enjoyable though.

life of brian is my favourite film so i suppose it has to be my top brit flick.

does gosford park count as a british film?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Gwylan said:

Two more of my favourite films - quite a criminal oversight how I overlooked them earlier.

And the Ladykillers, Kind Hearts and Coronets or The Man in the White Suit, come to that.

I love the two guys in The Lady Vanishes who are more interested in finding out the latest cricket score than they are in all the international intrigue going on around them - I'm sure they must be related to some of the posters here on NSC...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here