Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Book To Film Adaptations

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Fully agree Large One re the Barrytown Trilogy. It seemed the larger the profile and budget, the worse the film.

I really love High Fidelity. I still apreciated that he was emotionally screwed and needed to blame the past. when it was him being the problem all the time.

Last year, ITV, made the film Seeing Red. This is a true story By Coral Atkins, who from being an actress becomes invoved in childrens homes. She now is an emmenent light in her feild, and I have tried eveywhere to get the book from which this is based.

Stumpy Tim

Wilko said:
Dissapointment for me was High Fidelity though, much prefered the book.

Good call. High Fidelity was an awful film - the Yanks ruined it.

Animal Farm is a great film, but the book was so good it would be hard for it not to be. Saying that, noone has ever made a good version of 1984

About A Boy was a good adaption of the book as well - probably better than the book actually

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
One of my favourite films -- The Rachel Papers

165324.jpg

Last edited:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Wasn't 'Where Eagles Dare' a film that was turned into a book (ie Alistair McLean wrote the screenplay first and then decided to write the book)?

I thought 'The Day of the Jackal' was a terrific book and was equally riveting as a movie.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Misery by Stephen King was done pretty well on film, Kathy Bates was superb in that (I still cringe when I see the bit when she breaks both his legs). Loved the book though, where you read passages of the characters novel he is writing, and the 'e' key on his typewriter goes wrong - nice touch.

(That last sentence probably doesn't make any sense whatsoever to anyone who hasn't read Misery).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here