Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Book To Film Adaptations

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Ignoring LOTR's as it's so obvious.

Oliver Twist!

Then books I haven't read but are good films.. Trainspotting, Don't Look Now.

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
I'm chuffed they have made Timeline into a film.

Loved that book, so looking forward to seeing it at the cinema soon.

Trainspotting is a great book, and a pretty good film (ruined by sanitisation, though). The play is much, much better than the film - if you get a chance, go and see it.

Recently, Young Adam has proved to be a brilliant adaptation of a quite brilliant book.

But I wonder if adaptations are at their best when they stray from exact narrative replication and try instead to carry the ideas and principal elements of a book - in which case, Apocalypse Now (adaptation of Heart of Darkness) is tops.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Charlie And The Chocolate Factory - genios! :clap:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Jaws - decent book, brilliant film.

The Shining - decent book, brilliant film.

The Shawshank Redemption - excellent short story, wonderful film.

The Green Mile - good book, great film.

The Exorcist - reasonable book, superb film.

That's my top 5 'books to films'!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Schindler's Ark to Schindler's List

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Can you explain how on earth it was an appaling film !.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can't agree Stumpy - great book, OK film.

High Fidelity: Great book, OK film. Would still have preferred the film to be set in London. Or better still Brighton. My Saturdays when I was 17 was Sydney Street, Blackman Street, Kenny Gardens, Trafalgar Street trawling the second hand record shops for rare priceless soul gems. Then off to the Goldstone for more heartache and mediocrity. You can see where my appreciation of Nick Hornby's first two books comes from.

Awful transition: The Fourth Protocol by Frederick Forsyth. Brilliant book, clumsy film.

Worst transition: The Van by Roddy Doyle. The third book in the Barrytown trilogy, following on from The Commitments and The Snapper.

The Van is an hilarious, brilliant book. The film was just shockingly awful. Tragedy.:nono:

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
"Godfather"

Brilliant book & Brilliant film

Reckon that won't be beaten as a book/film combo!!

I haven't seen or read that. I have heard that both are excellent though. I really should give it a try.

What do people think of Black Hawk Down (Book on a real event turned into a film)?

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Animal farm by George Orwell is quite a good film

Agree with Green Mile, great Film

Stand by me ! Superb film

Dissapointment for me was High Fidelity though, much prefered the book.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Love my history, and war films, but I was thoroughly bored with "Black Hawk Down"

Action scenes are impressive, but after 2 hours of the same old,same old it got boring

But that's just my opinion!

PS Turkey, if you get spare time between your university studies (!) get a copy of "Godfather" from the library. You won't be able to put it down, brilliant book

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm writing an essay about the ideological narrative in Black Hawk Down.. :jester:

I will read Godfather but I need to finish my book on Harry Potter first. Not A Harry Potter but an academic response to it. Fun. :lol:

Is Oliver Twist on at Christmas? I really want to see it!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here