Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best atmosphere...?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What is the best atmosphere you have experienced at a league ground?

For me, Upton Park, back in the late 80's, West Ham vs Liverpool, mid-week evening match under floodlights, full house, packed terracing behind both goals, and a tight ground with the players only a matter of feet from the crowd.

The atmosphere was ELECTRIC.

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
Goldstone v Blackpool last game of season .. the day of the Spurs/SCC farce

That was amazing, apart from the outcome. For me 1983 Highbury clock end v Sheff Wed was so pumped & tense it was incredible. The prize of a cup final meant so much at the final whistle.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I would go for this one too. I only had room for half my feet on the steps at the Clock end. Liverpool away that year in the cup was good too ...for the away team.

That was amazing, apart from the outcome. For me 1983 Highbury clock end v Sheff Wed was so pumped & tense it was incredible. The prize of a cup final meant so much at the final whistle.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
the old baseball ground at derby , cant remember the year or result , but for pretty much the whole of the match the thousand or so brighton fans stamped and clapped along to the gary glitter song "rock and roll" replaced with Alllllllllbion hey albion , you get the picture :) , the stand had wooden floorboards and sounded superb , the derby fans applauded the effort if not the song choice , still who was to know way back then . Great day

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'd go for the Sheffield wed game as well.......also the first half of last game of season against Rochdale wen we gt promoted to as was league 2 ....templeton scored in 3rd minute I think...place went mad

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Tell you what, Charlton away last season wasn't too shabby....

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Cardiff City's Ninian Park was f***ing scary to visit when they had lunatics chucking coins, bottles filled with piss and golf balls cut with razor blades inside. Then getting out of the ground and walking to the train station, got beaten up and kicked on the floor but didn't stop me going back there the following season. Swansea's old Vetch Field ground was also very intimidating with the fences up like a prison. It's a shame there aren't any grounds like that about anymore because the buzz was unbelievable, even though it felt very dangerous. Wish I'd experienced the eighties.

A world away from the glamour and soulless all-seater stadiums at a lot of places with middle-class families going to football now. :(

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I'm told that the atmosphere at the '04 play off final was brilliant, but I can only really remember going mental after Knight's penalty...

I thought the second half of the match against Leeds this season was electric. Perfect game for the TV that one.
Shame I couldn't make the first game of the season - damn holidays, nobody wants them anyway -.-

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It's a toss up between Blackpool home in '78 & Liverpool away in '83.

Boxing day matches late 70's were great, v Palace obviously but I remember Maybank hitting a hat trick v Cardiff in front of about 25,000. V Doncaster at Falmer was good/emotional. I was in with 'the Germans' when they lost to Portugal in Rotterdam, when they heard England were one nil down to Romania, the chant of 'Deuchland' (mind's gone blank on spelling) nearly burst my ear drums. A weird one was FC United v Stone Dominoes, it was at the time they were in the equivelent of the Sussex County league, they were singing like they did down here for the whole match, you don't get that at East Grinstead v Peacehaven!

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean

This, this and this again. It was absolutely mint. The best moment for me that day was at the final whistle, an old man who was standing behind me for most of the game, just grabbed me to steady himself, and was crying his eyes out. All he could say was that he had waited 60 years for this moment. I felt so proud that day. The atmosphere continued all the way home on the bus as well. Going through Croydon with our scarves and flags out of the windows and singing at the top of our voices. Pure magic, and to me much better atmosphere than either of the finals.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Away to Liverpool in the cup when we came back from 2-0 down.

This season at home to Leeds just after we went 3-2 up, for a little while it just seemed to be pure noise - no songs no chants just noise.

And I'll alway remember Brentford away in the cup (the game Nelson scored THAT goal) under the roof.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Away to Liverpool in the cup when we came back from 2-0 down.

This season at home to Leeds just after we went 3-2 up, for a little while it just seemed to be pure noise - no songs no chants just noise.

And I'll alway remember Brentford away in the cup (the game Nelson scored THAT goal) under the roof.

The Leeds game was good, like you say it was just a wall of noise. Brentford was good that day, but it was spoiled completely by my mate getting stabbed in the pub.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here