Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best album of the year so far (2012)

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Lana Del Rey - Born to Die. Been all over it for months. Just wish I was all over her.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Frank Turner - England Keep My Bone.

Going to see him at Wembley next month supported by Billy Bragg

Excellent live show. Seen him twice now. Nothing gets past the first 3 years for me though. The song about making a move. Sounded just like we felt going out in burgess hill.

Billy brag should be good as well. Never got around to seeing him. Only really came on my radar after I heard a cover of one of his songs by the street dogs.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
51iccHE38lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Choice of Weapon: The Cult: Amazon.co.uk: Music

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Another vote for Django Django here. Like the Beta Band they're from Edinburgh and someone said to me members may be related. The vocals certainly recall them and there are hints of their later incarnation The Aliens but the album still stands up on it's own with its use of rhythm and guitar.

Had Weatherall's Masterpiece on repeat too, another great shout.

Weatheralls Masterpiece cd 3 is quality.

John Maclean of the Beta Band and Aliens brother is in Django Django which explains the similarities.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
This isn't "so far" - it's scheduled for Sept 17th.

First watch - WTF!

Repeated watchings (decent speakers attached and taking on board the message) - could be awesome.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Had a bit of an impulsive splash out in Resident today brought the following:-

First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar
Alt - J - An awesome wave
Richard Hawley - Standing at the Sky's Edge
Bill Fay - Life Is People
Mala in Cuba

I'll give my opinion on the five albums when I've had a few listens.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Dan Le Sac's debut album "Space Between The Worlds' flits between poppy electronica to quite dark trippy stuff. A friend of mine described it as if Portishead were locked in a recording studio with a suitcase of charlie.

Another to mention is the odd but rather fine Tim Burgess solo album "Oh No, I love you". It's a collaboration with Kurt Wagner of Lambchop and it has a North-West England meets Americana feel. It shouldn't work but the Nashville production and Burgess's rather thin voice are very disparate but the overall effect is something strange and lovely. It's been panned and praised in equal measure by critics but every single review I've read seems to take exception with his Birdland/Warhol-esque haircut.

And can I recommend a Brighton band - Cave Painting with their debut album Votive Life? If you were ever a fan of James when they were at their most atmospheric with soaring guitar riffs and really catchy tunes then do check them out. Others have compared them to Vampire Weekend but I don't think that's fair. They aren't relying on a Fela Kuti sound. It does veer into MOR a little bit but there are some excellent tunes on the album.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've been listening this morning to the Allah-Las and can highly recommend it. They are from, and sound West Coast but extremely 60s garage retro and a hint of authentic psychedlia. They sound a bit like early-ish Rolling Stones or an even better comparison is if you are a fan of the cult classic 'Gloria' by Them then you are going to love this album. Guitars are jangly, vocals are raw and languid and the production is spot on. Come to think of it, they also have the same kind of vibe as the Strange Boys.

These two tracks are from the album and are just sublime.

[yt]IpRh5bChBSM[/yt]

[yt]xcS--2g24AM[/yt]

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Still very fond of the Dry the River as mentioned above...

But the recent release of Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! - the first album by Godspeed You! Black Emperor in 10 years - has pretty much sewn up the album of the year title as far as I'm concerned.

Although I concede anyone who isn't a fan of epic symphonic post-rock probably need not apply...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
That Andrew Weatherall cd is brilliant, as is the Gilles Pietersen one in the same collection.

I not completely in love with the XX album but the first track off it (Angels) is f***ing excellent, one of the best tracks I've ever heard.

This year I've enjoyed the Jessie Ware album and the Frank Ocean album.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here