Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bernard Manning is dead

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I once saw him live at :eek: Butlins in :eek: Skegness, after some mates decided it was a bright idea to go up there for the weekend. Thought I may as well go and see the star attraction, Bernard himself, before commenting.

Personally, I just found his act completely dated. It's not a case of being politically correct, just the fact that if I wanted to listen to someone going on about Pakis and Sambos, I'd have sat down in front of the TV and watched a re-run of Alf Garnett. Frankly, those jokes were all done back in the Seventies- about the same time as Les Dawson was wheeling out his entire mother-in-law repertoire.

Having said that, the audience, which appeared to be comprised mostly of monumentally pissed Scouse hen-parties and groups of stereotypical working class Northern men, lapped it up. Never mind the jokes, Manning only had to say "fookin Paki" or "coon" for them to crease themselves in their seats.

:rolleyes:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
I once saw him live at :eek: Butlins in :eek: Skegness, after some mates decided it was a bright idea to go up there for the weekend. Thought I may as well go and see the star attraction, Bernard himself, before commenting.

Personally, I just found his act completely dated. It's not a case of being politically correct, just the fact that if I wanted to listen to someone going on about Pakis and Sambos, I'd have sat down in front of the TV and watched a re-run of Alf Garnett. Frankly, those jokes were all done back in the Seventies- about the same time as Les Dawson was wheeling out his entire mother-in-law repertoire.

Having said that, the audience, which appeared to be comprised mostly of monumentally pissed Scouse hen-parties and groups of stereotypical working class Northern men, lapped it up. Never mind the jokes, Manning only had to say "fookin Paki" or "coon" for them to crease themselves in their seats.

:rolleyes:

And I always thought that Bernard Manning was a copper's favourite!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
He had a good life, made people lugh and pissed of the self -rightous.

Personally I prefer Roy Chubby Brown and Kevin Bloody wilson.

Theres a lot more where Bernard came from.

RIP

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
A lot of people say his delivery was superb but the world moved on and his jokes didn't.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Who is the knob here, Manning, or the people revelling in someone's death?

Couldnt have put it better myself, however much i dislike someone, i am never glad when they die, thats just sad in my opinion.

And as ive stated before, if theres someone you dont appreciate / like on telly, turn over to another channel, its not like theres not enough of them nowadays!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Never thought he was funny even before he became known for his racist humour. Can't help wondering at the people who did think he was good.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
hitony may well have a point, but I might add that more people seem to be getting pleasure from his death than his humour...there is some sort of irony in that fact, which I am sure any decent comic would appreciate.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Never thought he was funny even before he became known for his racist humour. Can't help wondering at the people who did think he was good.

Who do you thinks funny then??.I expect a lot of people think they are shit.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
what a hero

RIP bernard

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Who do you thinks funny then??.I expect a lot of people think they are shit.

Quite possibly but I don't find racist jokes funny or for that matter spastic jokes or peodophile jokes, it's got nothing to do with being PC. I just wonder why people found Manning funny.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
hitony may well have a point, but I might add that more people seem to be getting pleasure from his death than his humour...there is some sort of irony in that fact, which I am sure any decent comic would appreciate.
Exactly. We can tell his old jokes but now altered:

"They put Bernard Manning's corpse in the house next door to mine. Well it keeps the flies out of my place." (Substitute 'paki family' for 'Bernard Manning's corpse' and you have one of his actual jokes.)

Or

"Bernard Manning's family and friends chartered a bus and drove over a cliff. A Pakistani started crying. 'Why are you crying?' I asked, 'I thought you hated Manning because of his racist humour'.
'I do', he replied, but there were two empty seats.'"

Great jokes Bernard! Keep 'em coming! Oh dear, you can't ....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Quite possibly but I don't find racist jokes funny or for that matter spastic jokes or peodophile jokes, it's got nothing to do with being PC. I just wonder why people found Manning funny.
Frank is right. It's not exactly cerebral humour is it? You can tell that by the fact that looney liked him.

His routine was simply not funny, IMO.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Manning has to be one of the unfuniest fat men that ever stumbled across this fair land.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What Brovian, Frank, Sim, Nibble and others have said.

Sometimes effective humour CAN certainly be brought about by the shattering of taboos. But that was actually far from his stock in trade. Despite what NSC's own resident bigots and racists might claim, he was certainly no intrepid and fearless, don't-give-a-shit comedy renegade - the presence of his own many taboos prove that - any jokes about disabled people, or even about death and bereavement, say, were utterly off limits to him, apparently.

But picking on a minority with different skin colour and providing their white bigoted colleagues with the ammunition to make their lives hell at work the next day after he'd appeared on telly with 15 million people watching the night before, that was fair enough, only a laff innit eh.

The best thing is that, outside the sort of circles frequented by those self-pitying spunk-smelling right-wing oddballs - a number of whom post on here, some on this thread - his kind of humour appears to be utterly without any descendents. It's died with him. Hallelujah for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here