Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bergkamp and ?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Only caught the tail end of it but on radio the other night they said something about 2 players that weren't featuring and they said something like "clearly it wasn't Gus that brought them in" or "they aren't Gus's players" or similar One was definitely Bergkamp but who's the other?

Assuming Gus wasn't happy with Stephenson's involvement how did he ever come to us in the first place?

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
It would probably have been a development squad player, as Gus has been very vocal about how much he likes all his signings.

The only ones off the top of my head I can think were signed during Stephenson's reign of terror are Rogers, Sampayo and East.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Only caught the tail end of it but on radio the other night they said something about 2 players that weren't featuring and they said something like "clearly it wasn't Gus that brought them in" or "they aren't Gus's players" or similar One was definitely Bergkamp but who's the other?

He seems to be kind of stuck halfway between the first team and the development squad! Could it be that Ben Sampayo or Anton Rogers were the other player talked about?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4331545 said:
Could it be that Ben Sampayo or Anton Rogers were the other player talked about?

Sampayo perhaps .. Gus said this about Rogers last month so suspect not him "Anton has been outstanding throughout pre-season with the development group. He's been doing well in training and in their last game at Havant & Waterlooville, so he deserves his chance to show what he can do. I was very pleased with his performance on Wednesday night and he is a player that I like a lot.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I was thinking more likely Torb

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4331567 said:
I'm pretty sure he joined before Stephenson was here, and is a Gus/Aranalde signing...

Agree and Im pretty sure I've heard nice comments about Toby from Gus in the press before and as above defently here before Stephenson

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I said this about Bergkamp weeks ago and got shot down in flames by most on here.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The whole Bergkamp thing seems odd to me. When we signed him I thought he was going to be a first teamer. Yes he's only young but he has made appearances, and scored goals in, the Dutch top flight, and he has also played for Netherlands under 21-s. There is clearly some sort of issue somewhere or he would have been involved by now.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
The whole Bergkamp thing seems odd to me. When we signed him I thought he was going to be a first teamer. Yes he's only young but he has made appearances, and scored goals in, the Dutch top flight, and he has also played for Netherlands under 21-s. There is clearly some sort of issue somewhere or he would have been involved by now.

It's a shame we don't have the 7 sub rule anymore as that would have given a clearer indication as to whether or not Bergkamp is likely to feature in Gus' plans

Amexican

May 21, 2011
Does seem odd. Only seen him play for a few mins at end of spurs game so hard to tell what he offers. He has some track record in Eredivisie and he's big so assume he can offer something different if needed as a target man when chasing a game (if that ever happens?). But its no good if he's not on the bench. Did anyone see him perform in pre-season?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Yes agreed, interesting that George Barker was our only striker on the bench against Sunderland on Tues night, not Bergkamp not Agdestein, who surely are ahead of Barker in the pecking order ... or so we thought.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
How are we sure Bergkamp is fully fit?

It's all forum talk.

True. But I am sure we would have heard on the Official site or Argus match previews that Bergkamp has been unable to make his debut yet due to injury. He's not really mentioned.

Completely jumping the gun but I can imagine him leaving at the end of the season or whenever in the same way Sandaza did, with a dig at Poyet

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's all forum talk.

Not at all. It was on BBC Sussex .. during the Sunderland transmission .. as I say I only caught the back end of it but they didn't sound like they were speculating .. that's not to say they weren't but .......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here