Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Benny Hill - Comic genius or complete prat?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Most of his work was puerile, sexist adn racist yet he was obviously a comic genius.

Thisthe man who came up with:

Never assume

because it makes an ASS out of U and ME

Pity it went in the wrong direction.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Neither probably. For me a run of the mill 70's comedian.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
To be fair, most people were asking that back in the 70s as well...

But I take your point about the rest. We were easily pleased in those days - remember when Bruce Forsyth's Generation Game followed by Mike Yarwood and his hilarious 'silly billy' impression of Denis Healey was considered a top night in on a Saturday?

Sadly yes :ohmy:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Most of his work was puerile, sexist adn racist yet he was obviously a comic genius.

Thisthe man who came up with:

Never assume

because it makes an ASS out of U and ME

Pity it went in the wrong direction.

Very different times and as far as being any sort of 'ist' he was in a different league completely to the likes of 'Till death do us part' and so on. Not that funny though, Sun reader stuff.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
To be fair, most people were asking that back in the 70s as well...

But I take your point about the rest. We were easily pleased in those days - remember when Bruce Forsyth's Generation Game followed by Mike Yarwood and his hilarious 'silly billy' impression of Denis Healey was considered a top night in on a Saturday?

Saturday night telly is still shite....possibly worse than above,'cos at least Mike Yarwood was talented!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Saturday night telly is still shite....possibly worse than above,'cos at least Mike Yarwood was talented!

But the difference is these days it's shite because the programme planners know no one's staying in to watch.

The Generation Game, Mike Yarwood etc used to get 25 million viewers on a regular basis - half the blooming country.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The only mildly amusing line I ever remember from Benny Hill was when he was dressed up someone brought in at the last moment to read the news...

"A spokesman said 'it doesn't matter whether you're laboratory'...
... sorry, Labour or Tory..."

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
But the difference is these days it's shite because the programme planners know no one's staying in to watch.

The Generation Game, Mike Yarwood etc used to get 25 million viewers on a regular basis - half the blooming country.

I would suggest that a lot of people stay in on a Saturday night.Not everyone is out partying.
The question is....are they not watching telly because it is shite or are they doing something else at home anyway,regardless of whether the telly is shite or not?
Reckon a lot of DVD's get rented out on a Saturday night because of crap telly!
Me,I usually drink far too much wine and eventually stagger upstairs!:thumbsup:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Slapping little old men around the head, half naked women, etc, etc.

f*** it, still funny in a 12-year-old sort of way.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Jackie-Wright-1.jpg

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Yes but we had only three channels and no internet back then, no videos or DVDs either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here