Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Benno: "No Hard Feelings"

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Easily pleased some people. I'm happy he has stayed and will back him 100% but the facts are he wanted out and that has damaged my thoughts about him

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No hard feelings to Bennett who wouldn't want to progress their career. Its in the past now, everyone can move on and concentrate on getting us into the championship.

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
Easily pleased some people. I'm happy he has stayed and will back him 100% but the facts are he wanted out and that has damaged my thoughts about him

so would have any other albion player if they were offered double the wages and a chance at premier league football, hes not going to turn around a say no to norwich because he is brighton till he dies.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010

don't be so stupid man, he had a great opportunity, and footballing careers are so short, fair play to him, but hes staying and said hes 100% devoted now, at least hes not throwing a hissy fit...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No hard feelings to Bennett who wouldn't want to progress their career. Its in the past now, everyone can move on and concentrate on getting us into the championship.
Exactly. I don't blame Norwich for wanting to use the transfer window to improve their squad, I don't blame Bennett (or his agent) for trying to maximise his earnings over what is only a short career (a career which is only ever one bad tackle away from a premature end), and I don't blame Poyet or Bloom for wanting to hold onto one of our best players.

Hopefully Bennett won't think we've obstructed his career, and by the sound of it he doesn't.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Exactly. I don't blame Norwich for wanting to use the transfer window to improve their squad, I don't blame Bennett (or his agent) for trying to maximise his earnings over what is only a short career (a career which is only ever one bad tackle away from a premature end), and I don't blame Poyet or Bloom for wanting to hold onto one of our best players.

Hopefully Bennett won't think we've obstructed his career, and by the sound of it he doesn't.

Exactly. If we go up. And Benno would have played a massive part I reckon there will be bigger clubs than Norwich wanting to snap him up.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
Exactly. If we go up. And Benno would have played a massive part I reckon there will be bigger clubs than Norwich wanting to snap him up.

then again, we can improve his wages, and make it a lot harder for him

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

He's a professional who was looking at a better pay day and playing in a higher league, what most people would describe as a better job, get over it.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
(a career which is only ever one bad tackle away from a premature end),

Benno felt the full force of a rash challenge in the first 2 minutes last night, who knows that could have resulted a premature end to his career. Well done Elliot and welcome home!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
whilst all this was going on I tried to ignore all the gossip and rumours and I didn't even realise how well Norwich were doing til a couple of days ago. Knew they were up there but second?

So he got offered a load more money to play at a club knocking on the door of the premiership, with a good stadium and a decent fan base. I'm certainly not going to begrudge him having his head turned by that.

So glad he stayed.

Indeed, and no hard feelings to Bennett. I think any of us, knowing it is a short career, would have had to look at an offer like that. And it's not Premiership megabucks we're talking about either. Rather peeved at Norwich thinking they can get him on the cheap as they did with Crofts though; if they were really looking to get him they should have offered us twice as much, and Bloom would have had to think seriously about it. Full marks to him for rebuffing them. Some on here though really do kid themselves if they think Norwich is not a big club. Unlike us, they are in the privileged position of having no clubs for miles around and most people in Norwich who have a club support them - I saw very few Man U or Liverpool shirts when I went up for the game last season, but plenty of Canaries ones, and they have a huge club shop in the Castle Mall Centre. We were only given about 1000 seats (I think we took up 800), and every home seat was taken on a Tuesday night in League One; the crowd was over 25,000 if I remember correctly. Also, out of interest, I had a walk round the ground and every business suite was taken that day. Norwich is not the small town we think it is, but a major business centre. We could emulate them, as shown by the interest in the 1901 Club, but we are not there yet.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I didn't use the word weird, you did. I was commenting on the "100 per cent committed to the cause" phrase he used. But I was fairly moderate in my view, I think.

I would point out that at other clubs episodes like this can unsettle players and knock them out of their stride, but for what it's worth I believe he can put it behind him, move on, and play as well as he has been for the rest of the season.

I wasn't saying you did say it was weird. I was saying that I didn't think it that weird, peculiar, unusual, queer, etc. Nothing to see here as far as I'm concerned.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
Call me Pollyanna, but I see nothing but positives in the whole situation (now that it's resolved). At no point in the past 15 years would we have done anything but bite off the hand of any club that came in with a fair (or even unfair) offer.

Norwich were keen, so was Bennett, but Bloom stood firm and the upshot is we still have our player and he's proved himself with this interview to be mature and reasonable. It's a win-win. :clap:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
All is forgiven Benno. :kiss:

Agreed!

1) He plays for us

2) He is a good player who can be a huge help in our quest for promotion

3) We all know he will give his all from now untill the end of the season.

4) IMO the best is still to come from EB

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
i believe sometimes the fans can make a real difference.
To all the albion fans chanting 'one elliott bennett', thankyou for seeing the bigger picture.
he will appreciate it, and it will give him more confidence to help get us up.
nice one

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you are confusing the word "fact" with something else. club received offer, turned down. Elliot wants to at least hear what Norwich have to say, so hands in request enabling that dialogue. (at least, as i understand the transfer process). this does not mean he "wanted out", it means he wanted to listen to their offer. maybe he should have just asked his agent to discuss it unofficially behind the scenes?

it's funny, because in no other walk of life does this happen, only in football do you need to ask you current employers permission or effectivly hand in your notice in order to discuss job with other employers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here