Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Benno: "No Hard Feelings"

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
Interesting little read

Elliott Bennett tonight confirmed he is 100 per cent committed to helping Albion win promotion to the Championship, and that he has no hard feelings over a rebuffed potential move to Norwich City.

The winger was understandably tempted by the interest from the Championship high fliers, but told seagulls.co.uk, "It is in the past now. It was an opportunity to join a club from a higher division, who wanted to pay a lot of money for me, and that was something that I wanted to pursue.

"However it wasn't the right deal for the club, and I wanted it to be something that was good for both parties - myself and Brighton. It didn't work out like that, so nothing has changed.

"I'm just as happy as I was when I signed my new contract before Christmas, and now I want to get rolling towards promotion and to get to the Championship with Brighton. That's the overall objective between now and the end of the season."

Bennett also thanked the Albion fans for their support over the past five days - both at Watford on Saturday and tonight at Leyton Orient.

"Hearing the fans chant my name was massive for me because that was something that I was worried about, because it was never anything personal against the football club or the fans.

"I am sure there may be a few fans who are cross with me, but I hope they can understand it was nothing personal against them, the club or anyone at the club. I would say to them that I'm 100 per cent committed to the cause and let me prove that.

"I don't want to be perceived as being ungrateful. I have always given my all for the club and I will continue to do that. I would genuinely like to thank all the fans for all their support on Saturday and tonight."

Former Wolves man Bennett also thanked manager Gus Poyet and said their relationship has been unaffected by the events.

"Gus and I have been talking throughout the past two weeks. He understood my situation and he knows that I am happy here, so we will carry on as normal.

"I'm really happy here. My girlfriend and I both love it in Brighton and that hasn't changed just because of the transfer request; it was never that I didn't want to be here."

well hes won me over :D

awesome little post!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The timing of his transfer request was manky and ill-advised, but I have no ill-feeling towards him. He is one of the primary reasons why we are where we are now, and as long as he gives his all for us for the rest of the season - which I have absolutely no doubt he will - then I have no problem with him at all. I was applauding and chanting his name tonight.

Naarch were, apparently, offering him 6k a week. Almost treble what he's on now.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
whilst all this was going on I tried to ignore all the gossip and rumours and I didn't even realise how well Norwich were doing til a couple of days ago. Knew they were up there but second?

So he got offered a load more money to play at a club knocking on the door of the premiership, with a good stadium and a decent fan base. I'm certainly not going to begrudge him having his head turned by that.

So glad he stayed.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I always understood his desire to move to Norwich and don't blame him for seeing it as a possibility but I am glad that he has come out with this statement. I think although some people have been pissed off by the situation, everybody should draw a line under it and get behind Elliot and the whole team in the push for promotion. I hope that Bennett will show the maturity and level headedness (I think I made that word up??) on the pitch that he has shown in his statement today for the rest of the season.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
there was a nice momet tonight, when everyone was singing 'theres only one elliot bennet' he waved to the fans then turned away and started speaking to murray, this is when we all started singing 'if you all hate norwich city clap your hands' he then turned around with a big grin on his face lol.... made me laugh anyway

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Interesting little read

Elliott Bennett tonight confirmed he is 100 per cent committed to helping Albion win promotion to the Championship, and that he has no hard feelings over a rebuffed potential move to Norwich City.

The winger was understandably tempted by the interest from the Championship high fliers, but told seagulls.co.uk, "It is in the past now. It was an opportunity to join a club from a higher division, who wanted to pay a lot of money for me, and that was something that I wanted to pursue.

"However it wasn't the right deal for the club, and I wanted it to be something that was good for both parties - myself and Brighton. It didn't work out like that, so nothing has changed.

"I'm just as happy as I was when I signed my new contract before Christmas, and now I want to get rolling towards promotion and to get to the Championship with Brighton. That's the overall objective between now and the end of the season."
Bennett also thanked the Albion fans for their support over the past five days - both at Watford on Saturday and tonight at Leyton Orient.

"Hearing the fans chant my name was massive for me because that was something that I was worried about, because it was never anything personal against the football club or the fans.

"I am sure there may be a few fans who are cross with me, but I hope they can understand it was nothing personal against them, the club or anyone at the club. I would say to them that I'm 100 per cent committed to the cause and let me prove that.

"I don't want to be perceived as being ungrateful. I have always given my all for the club and I will continue to do that. I would genuinely like to thank all the fans for all their support on Saturday and tonight."

Former Wolves man Bennett also thanked manager Gus Poyet and said their relationship has been unaffected by the events.
"Gus and I have been talking throughout the past two weeks. He understood my situation and he knows that I am happy here, so we will carry on as normal.

"I'm really happy here. My girlfriend and I both love it in Brighton and that hasn't changed just because of the transfer request; it was never that I didn't want to be here."

well hes won me over :D

awesome little post!

Makes me laugh, the vast majority of footballers can't string two words together, let alone something like that above!!

Very well written by some sort of lawyer / legal representative from the club.

That said i am as pleased as anyone else that he is staying.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Makes me laugh, the vast majority of footballers can't string two words together, let alone something like that above!!

Very well written by some sort of lawyer / legal representative from the club.

That said i am as pleased as anyone else that he is staying.

Exactly! More chance of Jordan having written one of her books than EB having written that.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I wouldn't be so sure about that. EB is an ambassador at my kid's school and he is one of the most articulate footballers I've ever spoken to.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I haven't got any lingering ill-will to Bennett at all, I don't blame him for being interested, he's arguably our best player, and he could have behaved much worse than he did.

But it is stretching a a point to say he is, in his words, "100 per cent committed to the cause" a few days after handing in a transfer request. Could we settle at 90 per cent committed?

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I haven't got any lingering ill-will to Bennett at all, I don't blame him for being interested, he's arguably our best player, and he could have behaved much worse than he did.

But it is stretching a a point to say he is, in his words, "100 per cent committed to the cause" a few days after handing in a transfer request. Could we settle at 90 per cent committed?

why not? Using your Job analogy, he was tempted by a potential better job with better pay and conditions, didn't happen but he still likes the job he already has. Not that weird is it?

Stat Man

Tickle my fancy, fat man
Mar 3, 2009
Brighton

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
Top Bombing EB. now let's kick the gus bus back into gear let benno back on and steamroller this div. :clap:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
why not? Using your Job analogy, he was tempted by a potential better job with better pay and conditions, didn't happen but he still likes the job he already has. Not that weird is it?

I didn't use the word weird, you did. I was commenting on the "100 per cent committed to the cause" phrase he used. But I was fairly moderate in my view, I think.

I would point out that at other clubs episodes like this can unsettle players and knock them out of their stride, but for what it's worth I believe he can put it behind him, move on, and play as well as he has been for the rest of the season.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
whilst all this was going on I tried to ignore all the gossip and rumours and I didn't even realise how well Norwich were doing til a couple of days ago. Knew they were up there but second?

So he got offered a load more money to play at a club knocking on the door of the premiership, with a good stadium and a decent fan base. I'm certainly not going to begrudge him having his head turned by that.

So glad he stayed.

Quite so, from his point of view he may have missed out on a better paid deal and a shot at Premier League football, seems a decent response to me.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I wouldn't be so sure about that. EB is an ambassador at my kid's school and he is one of the most articulate footballers I've ever spoken to.

Totally agree, Ive only talked to the lad twice but on both occasions he came accross as much brighter than the "over the moon/ sick as a parrot" brigade.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Really nice to hear/read that from Bennett, no doubting his commitment for the rest of the season. Oh how the red half of Mersyside would of liked to have heard something nice from Torres

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here