Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennetts Field (UNSAFE?)

Dex10

Sep 8, 2010
Last night I got a lift to the game and used the bennetts field car park for the first time...

Firstly I didnt see any police/stewards assist with the cars leaving, and due to everyone getting pissed off and cutting through there was literally gridlock towards the exit with cars pushing their way through from all directions. I then saw thick smoke coming from one of the cars (i presume from burning out the clutch) and it made me think that if there was a serious problem then there is no way that any emergency service could get to the area.

The car park is a joke and just doesnt work and if the club wish to expand the stadium then they need to sort something out.

I would also point out that I beleive that the park & ride busses should leave the ground first due to the amount of supporters they get away from the stadium, but thats not to say that they cant imporove bennetts field. When we eventually left (i got back to portslade at 12.00) there was not one steward on show.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Are you being a drama queen by saying it is unsafe? Is it any worse than say, Bournemouths car park, or car park at the o2 ? I've not seen 'Bennetts field' so just guessing, but a lot of 'event' car parks are bit of a free for all

Dex10

Sep 8, 2010
To be fair the UNSAFE? may be a bit over the top but all I can say is that I was surprised as to how bad it was. I have been to many other grounds as well as the o2 etc but ive never seen anything as bad as that before. Sufficient stewards would help greatly and they need to stop cars pushing through.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
To be fair the UNSAFE? may be a bit over the top but all I can say is that I was surprised as to how bad it was. I have been to many other grounds as well as the o2 etc but ive never seen anything as bad as that before. Sufficient stewards would help greatly and they need to stop cars pushing through.

This would largely be alleviated if the majority waited between 30-60mins after FT before returning to their cars after a game. The facilities are there in the ground to wait in comfort. The mad rush and belief that you are going to get out of a single exit car park within minutes of FT is madness in itself. The Club should make an official announcement that the gate won't be opened until at least 30mins after FT, and that way everyone would know where they stand. A lot of people in that car park need to be more realistic with what can be achieved in getting off site.

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
This would largely be alleviated if the majority waited between 30-60mins after FT before returning to their cars after a game. The facilities are there in the ground to wait in comfort. The mad rush and belief that you are going to get out of a single exit car park within minutes of FT is madness in itself. The Club should make an official announcement that the gate won't be opened until at least 30mins after FT, and that way everyone would know where they stand. A lot of people in that car park need to be more realistic with what can be achieved in getting off site.

Problem was yesterday they closed the lounge and you were only allowed back in to use the bathrooms (well it was the case in the lounge i use, can say for the others)...... so they was nothing to do apart from go back and sit in the car......

Hoops Seagull

Nov 17, 2008

The BFCP is not only used by 1901 supporters - there are disabled supporters who are not 1901 fans and do not have lounges etc to wait in - last night there were not facilities other than the loos open - so where do you have to go and wait other than the car park - even saw some people playing ball while they waited

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Problem was yesterday they closed the lounge and you were only allowed back in to use the bathrooms (well it was the case in the lounge i use, can say for the others)...... so they was nothing to do apart from go back and sit in the car......

The BFCP is not only used by 1901 supporters - there are disabled supporters who are not 1901 fans and do not have lounges etc to wait in - last night there were not facilities other than the loos open - so where do you have to go and wait other than the car park - even saw some people playing ball while they waited

Point taken, I thought it was mainly 1901 with hospitality facilities. I stand corrected and will get my coat...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
To be honest it all sounds remarkable similar to going on a bank holiday monday to arlington, its a nightmare getting out of that car park, but that's spectator sports for you

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I have an idea, why don't you use public transport or park away from the ground and walk like the rest of us have to

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Do you think that the club are, secretly, not too unhappy at this situation as it may eventually discourage people from driving to the ground?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I have an idea, why don't you use public transport or park away from the ground and walk like the rest of us have to

a) a number of the people in that car park are disabled and unable to use public transport
and
b) the rest of the people in there pay a lot more per month than the average season ticket holder for the privilege of parking close to the stadium... and not much else it seems

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
A slightly more worrying point is that there was an identical thread after the Gillingham game and the club seemed to have done nothing about it in the meantime. Not a good sign as to increasing the capacity and just another transport cog that needs reviewing and improving. I'm no expert but they could start with some signs and stewards enforcing which way the cars are allowed to go or at least letting cars out when the buses aren't leaving.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
this would largely be alleviated if the majority waited between 30-60mins after ft before returning to their cars after a game. The facilities are there in the ground to wait in comfort. The mad rush and belief that you are going to get out of a single exit car park within minutes of ft is madness in itself. The club should make an official announcement that the gate won't be opened until at least 30mins after ft, and that way everyone would know where they stand. A lot of people in that car park need to be more realistic with what can be achieved in getting off site.

this!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The club made a lot of the comfort of the lounges and concourses, and how they wanted us to stay and enjoy the facilities and not all rush for the first train home - so surely it has to allow people to make their way out at their own pace. I was having a drink with friend in the North Stand concourse after the Gillingham game and it seemed that we were being made to feel as if we should drink up ASAP by a line of stewards. So the club has to pay staff to stay longer, and allow for the possibility of extra time ...

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
Last night I got a lift to the game and used the bennetts field car park for the first time...

Firstly I didnt see any police/stewards assist with the cars leaving, and due to everyone getting pissed off and cutting through there was literally gridlock towards the exit with cars pushing their way through from all directions. I then saw thick smoke coming from one of the cars (i presume from burning out the clutch) and it made me think that if there was a serious problem then there is no way that any emergency service could get to the area.

The car park is a joke and just doesnt work and if the club wish to expand the stadium then they need to sort something out.

I would also point out that I beleive that the park & ride busses should leave the ground first due to the amount of supporters they get away from the stadium, but thats not to say that they cant imporove bennetts field. When we eventually left (i got back to portslade at 12.00) there was not one steward on show.
You want stewards in PORTSLADE?? Why?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here