Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennett's field car park

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
because there is currently no wheelchair ramp from the Bridge carpark I have been advised to park at Bennetts Field for the Brizzle game. Problem is that tomorrow I have to shoot over to the channel tunnel after the game so I am on a tight schedule.

The guy in customer services was really helpful but he did recommend leaving before the ninety minutes to be sure of getting away quickly. Now not only have I never done that but after a 4 hour drive to get to a game it goes against the grain to miss any (not to mention the injury time goals in our last four games).

So what do Bennetts Field veterans reckon? We will get there early (6.30ish) but do we head for Bennetts and risk being stuffed getting away or do we go to Bridge as normal and hope some nice fans will give us a hand helping my wife up and down the steps while I maul the chair? We are usually clear of the Bridge within 5 minutes of getting there and on the A27 within another 10 minutes or so after queuing up the slip road.

Advice gratefully accepted. :lolol:

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
because there is currently no wheelchair ramp from the Bridge carpark I have been advised to park at Bennetts Field for the Brizzle game. Problem is that tomorrow I have to shoot over to the channel tunnel after the game so I am on a tight schedule.

The guy in customer services was really helpful but he did recommend leaving before the ninety minutes to be sure of getting away quickly. Now not only have I never done that but after a 4 hour frive to get to a game it goes against the grain to miss any (not to mention the injury time goals in our last four games).

So what do Bennetts Field veterans reckon? We will get there early (6.30ish) but do we head for Bennets and risk being stuffed getting aeay or do we go to Bridge as normal and hope some nice fans will give us a hand helping my wife up and down the steps while I maul the chair? We are usually clear of the Bridge within 5 minutes of getting there and on the A27 within another 10 minutes or so after queuing up the slip road.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The guy in customer services was really helpful but he did recommend leaving before the ninety minutes to be sure of getting away quickly. Now not only have I never done that but after a 4 hour frive to get to a game it goes against the grain to miss any (not to mention the injury time goals in our last four games).

So what do Bennetts Field veterans reckon? We will get there early (6.30ish) but do we head for Bennets and risk being stuffed getting aeay or do we go to Bridge as normal and hope some nice fans will give us a hand helping my wife up and down the steps while I maul the chair? We are usually clear of the Bridge within 5 minutes of getting there and on the A27 within another 10 minutes or so after queuing up the slip road.

Which stand are you in?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
we are in east lower but my wife cant get too much of a gallop on and we need to retrieve the wheelchair which we padlock to a bike rack as they cant be stored in the ground :)

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Many of the buses have ramps, especially the bendy buses, so is it worth using Mill Road Park and ride?

I suspect you are looking at 45 mins to get out of Bennet's Field.

TB

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
we are in east lower but my wife cant get too much of a gallop on and we need to retrieve the wheelchair which we padlock to a bike rack as they cant be stored in the ground :)

My father is in the west, leaves on the whistle and it takes him 10-15 mins to get out after going around the stadium and getting into his car. Hope this helps.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
thanks HT. I think tory boy is expressing the percieved timescale to exit Bennetts so hearing someone's actual experience helps. My wife struggles with the P&R unfortunately as it was my preference before she got her season ticket.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
From my experience of Bennett's for an evening game, you need to be in your car before the final whistle for a quick getaway.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Really quite surprised that wheelchairs can't be stored in the ground. That's madness.

It's fair enough really as they have limited storage space and (sadly) have been told on "health & safety" grounds it could compromise an evacuation. :(

We choose to pay for two tickets and sit in the main body of fans rather than have a wheelchair space in a separate area (which would allow me to attend matches free as a carer I think - presumably so I could evacuate her!)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's fair enough really as they have limited storage space and (sadly) have been told on "health & safety" grounds it could compromise an evacuation. :(

We choose to pay for two tickets and sit in the main body of fans rather than have a wheelchair space in a separate area (which would allow me to attend matches free as a carer I think - presumably so I could evacuate her!)

They should sort something out re the bridge car park ..saw a lady in her wheel chair turned away on saturday

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I reckon you'd have to leave about 10 mins before the end of the 90 if you have to get to a wheelchair together. Aren't all the disabled spaces at the bottom of Bennett's Field? Not ideal. May be worth explaining the problem to the stewards and asking if you can park in the box holders spaces at the top of the car park, even if you don't get there in time you'll be in pole position to get out when they open the barriers, which are kept closed once the game is over. Getting from the bottom to the top will give you a major problem if you are not out by full time. Worst case scenario park against the fence on the far side of the car park, you then have a chance of joining the outbound traffic without major problems. Good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here