Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennets field car park last night.

D

Deleted member 22389

Ah you must be the odd character I was wondering about who was taking his bike for a walk at quarter to eleven along a dual carriage way!
You'd got nearly as far as the Lewes roundabout which shows how bloody long it took to get out of that car park last night.

Yep that was me alright lol. Next time I will ensure to pack a spare inner tube, and a pump.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I had an incident before the game last night.

I live in woodingdean and travel east on the a27 on the way home from work, the traffic seemed heavier than normal at about 16.45 when I tried to get up the falmer road but got stuck on the outside lane and couldn't get over onto the slip road as it was stationary nose to tail.

Instead of clogging the inside lane trying to pull over I decided to go past the junction and take the private road over the little bridge about a mile past falmer.

It's a tricky blind turning that needs to be done at a reasonable pace to avoid being rear ended at 70mph by the person behind.

I turned into said slip road about 40mph and was greeted by a blockade of cones and 2 Albion stewards. The road was wet and full of potholes so when I hit the brakes hard the abs kicked in and chattered but didn't do much to slow me down. I narrowly missed one steward and took out 2 cones before I stopped about 15ft further on.

Why on earth were they there? I could have killed one.

After a long conversation with the one I nearly hit I found out they're there to stop people parking and was refusing to let me through. He did, after spending minutes trying to explain that I wasn't parking or football traffic and wanted access so I could get home.

I don't have a problem with them being there but where they put the blockade was bloody dangerous and should move back 100 ft further down to avoid an accident.

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
Sounds like the same incident. I was in the first car on the main road through the uni that had been held up by a steward in order to let one of the side car parks empty of the final few cars. Every car coming out of the car park was being asked to turn left and head back towards Stanmer Park. Some bright spark in a van came bolting out and tried to go right. The steward stopped him, but he'd gone so far that he had to reverse and perform a difficult manoeuvre. Without looking, he started to reverse directly back into the car behind him. That car instinctively put his car into reverse and began to move backwards to get out of the way. There were a couple of people directly behind his car. They weren't hit, but they had to dive out the way pretty sharpish. However, the man decided to go absolutely ape shit at the driver of the car that had almost hit him. It was embarrassing just how much he lost it and I imagine pretty scary for the innocent driver, when the real fault laid with the van driver.

I guess the van driver would have been responsible if the car driver had reversed fast enough to run the pedestrian down - van driver was an obvious prick - but the car driver is hardly innocent and is driving without due care if they thought they could blindly reverse which is exactly what the van driver did. The difference being a car hitting a person is more damaging then the van hitting the car. If it was me behind the car with my children I would likely go ape shit at the car driver as well regardless of how other people may perceive things.

Ape shit over reaction = scared shitless of having just about been run over.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
For the last few games I have been the steward in that lay-by wasn't last night as went to aldershot but not one person has had a problem with breaking.maybe just maybe you were going too fast?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Imagine paying all that money and I can get the train to Lewes and be home in Bexhill by 11pm, before some even leave the car park

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
After the first few matches and the complaints about getting out of Bennetts Field they bought in the system where they let the cars filter out between the bus departures...it worked...then for some reason they went back to keeping the cars in....why? If it ain't broke why fix it! crazy

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
:drink::
But at least you had the luxury of seats and a radio lol. Got to my bicycle last night and had a flat tyre. Could not believe it. Never thought of ever bringing a spare inner tube with me lol

Had to walk my bike back all the way to Lewes. Took me an 1h 15 mins. Did not get in until 11:45pm lol.

Bloody lonely along that A27. At one point it started raining as well.

t'was quicker than getting back to worthing.....

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
I guess the van driver would have been responsible if the car driver had reversed fast enough to run the pedestrian down - van driver was an obvious prick - but the car driver is hardly innocent and is driving without due care if they thought they could blindly reverse which is exactly what the van driver did. The difference being a car hitting a person is more damaging then the van hitting the car. If it was me behind the car with my children I would likely go ape shit at the car driver as well regardless of how other people may perceive things.

Ape shit over reaction = scared shitless of having just about been run over.

I saw the incident as well and the reversing car actually made contact with the young boy, the stewards had a go at the car driver also and took his registration number from what I saw.

I thought the father was quite restrained in not actually hitting the car driver for reversing into his child.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
After the first few matches and the complaints about getting out of Bennetts Field they bought in the system where they let the cars filter out between the bus departures...it worked...then for some reason they went back to keeping the cars in....why? If it ain't broke why fix it! crazy

I think the police ran the car park for one or two games, showed the stewerds how to do it, but I guess they forgot. Seems those who park in the UoB park get the priority on leaving after a game.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sounds about normal to me.

In recent weeks more and more cars seem to park in the University of Brighton car park (end of Village Way), the stream of traffic from that car park seems to take priority over the cars (and buses) exiting the bus park/Bennetts Field exit.

I beg to differ...coming that way on Tuesday, we queued for 45 minutes from the bottom of the hill by the entrance to Virgin.

Its people parking illegally to pick people up that is causing the congestion

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I beg to differ...coming that way on Tuesday, we queued for 45 minutes from the bottom of the hill by the entrance to Virgin.

Its people parking illegally to pick people up that is causing the congestion

Where we have sat and watched, it is a clear stream of traffic coming down from the UoB car park area that stops the buses and cars leaving the Stadium exit. Perhaps those people making pick-ups are now doing it in the UoB car park as they do tend to prevent cars from stopping on Village Way. You do have to ask the question, if you have someone local enough to pick you up from the stadium after a game, why don't you just get on a bus or train?

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
... You do have to ask the question, if you have someone local enough to pick you up from the stadium after a game, why don't you just get on a bus or train?

Surely that depends on the bus/train service to where you live? Not everywhere has a train station or is on a bus route from Brighton

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Surely that depends on the bus/train service to where you live? Not everywhere has a train station or is on a bus route from Brighton

I would have thought that if you re being picked up, then it would generally stand to reason that you are fairly local? Surely someone isn't going to drive you all the way from say Hampshire, then go and sit in their car for a couple of hours, just to come back and get you at full time are they? And we are talking a lot of cars, seriously, we have counted them, there are more cars coming out of UoB car park than Bennetts Field.

Perhaps that is what the yellow jackets were all about, counting how many cars were going in/coming out compared to the number of car park spaces allocated in BF.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
There is a pretty good pick up point in Lewes Road. Just walk past Falmer station on the new path, then under the railway on the school approach road.

Cars can pull in and wait there and are then facing south, towards Coldean Lane and are slightly off the main road so no problems of pulling out into fast traffic or of battling through the quewes of Village Way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here