Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Benefits: 'Me a scrounger? Fair enough, I am.'

Geo

Oct 18, 2010
Heathfield
I have worked continuosly without any downtime for the last 36 years. At times this has been difficult and very hard. I have supported my family and myself and have never ever claimed benefit or any other form of state dependency. I seem to pay so much in tax now and I do think wonder where this money is going to and who is benefiting from it. I also think how unfair it is that I land up supporting scroungers who are not prepared or cannot help themselves. I am all for supporting the poorest in our society and those that are unable to earn a living due to disability etc. I really object to paying out for those that are not prpeared to get off their backsides and do something for themselves. I welcome any initiative that addresses this imbalance in our society.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Couldn't care less about the lazy waste of space in all honesty... feel sorry for him being such a retard if the truth be known. If him and associated leeches weren't stealing from the tax payer the Government would find some other excuse to nick it off us anyway, so doesn't irritate me.

this.

What a dull bloke.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The system allows him to do this and by changing the system will make him change his ways and perhaps work.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
"Don't hate the player, hate the game" springs to mind.

Disgusting but IF he can get away with it... would YOU turn down 140 quid a week for free? Honestly?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
"Don't hate the player, hate the game" springs to mind.

Disgusting but IF he can get away with it... would YOU turn down 140 quid a week for free? Honestly?

I do find it strange, this story and the other one of a family taking £40k+ without giving anything back, that you are so blase about it, yet such an activist when it comes to removal of EMA and an increase in tuition fees.

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
Like all them protesters in the Middle East, They got nothing better to do than complain about their governments
Mind you these governments are based on lies, corruption and exploitation - so unlike the models of democracy
that we all traditionally enjoy.
I'm appalled at the negativity on this thread. Prejudice based on ignorance.
Certainty lives inside closed minds

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
The system allows him to do this and by changing the system will make him change his ways and perhaps work.

true, but in changing the system we might end up harming those who need help. It's a tough one to call.

Personally I don't get wound up by people like this. As I said, he sounds dull. His life sounds dull. I wouldn't want to live like that. I also know people are going to take the piss but I pay taxes and believe in a society that does help people who need it. I know, I know, some people are going to milk it or scam it and that needs sorting, but I hope not at the expense of those who need it.

FOR THE GREATER GOOD ;)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I hate the way the left wing somehow gets associated with these idiots. The left set up the welfare state and its a good, noble thing to have. Its built on a notion of fairness and helping others when they are down. The last thing we want to support is people cheating the system.

I've been on benefits at several times in my life, and the problem is clearly at the jobcentres where it is too easy to sign on and not take any old job. I wanted to find work that I wanted to do, so I signed on for up to three months whilst I looked for the right job. But there were other jobs there that I could have done, that paid alright, but no-one forced me to take them. Is that right or wrong, I don't know? Its never black or white. But I do think that after 1 year you should be made to take a job, any job, and I can't understand why that has never been implemented, or at least, enforced

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Some of you speak about getting a job as if it's just a matter of applying for one and it's given to you without any problems........I WISHED!!!!

Let me give you my scenario, I got made redundant from my job 2.5 years ago, pretty much all my life I have worked in the private housing sector, I was a senior site manager for many years, then for the last 12 years was Operations Manager (Project manager with a different name basically) when I got made redundant in September 2008 i was not the least bit worried I honestly thought I would walk straight back into a job, Oh how wrong I was!!

I clearly never thought about certain problems at the time, firstly there is a world recession and the housing sector is all but dead at the moment, and will be for a few more years until banks etc sort out lending etc, I am 56 in a few weeks time, ageism should not exist, reality is, it does!! My CV reads very well, for a job within my remit, outside of the private building sector no employer takes my applications seriously, I have applied for well over 400 hundred jobs, i have had a handful of interviews, I am willing to go abroad, anywhere in this country for work, I was up in Wakefield 2 weeks ago for an interview, (I did not get the job) no one, but no one has tried as hard as I have for ANY type of work (that I can do) and I just get knock back after knock back, very demoralising!

I try for driving jobs absolutely anything my brain or body will allow me to do, but as i say potential employers look at my CV and basically dont take me seriously, so in some cases it is just not as easy to get a job as some of you may think, and for those of you that are in employment, look after your job, because believe me it is a hard world out there as far as getting work goes.

Don't get me wrong, if your 25 and adaptable, I'm sure there is some work out there for many, 4/5 years ago I had 2 major back operations and as much as it hurts me to admit it, I cant do manual labour for a living, I have no problems doing it, i was a bricklayer for many years, but my body wont let me do it, I applied to Fords for a job on the production line, whilst they appeared to take my application seriously, they paid nothing but lip service to it, the hard facts are is I am to old and I don’t have any sort of past for working in that industry, and potential employers like Fords, just think I will up and off as soon as something in my field comes up, again I WISH!!

Whilst I appreciate any help anyone can offer, can I say I have tried just about everything, from changing my CV to going through agencies to networking, I am registered with just about every job agency in this country, and some abroad.

I have worked by the way, but all of it has been temporary contracts mostly driving, I am not worried about wages, since being made redundant any work i have done has always been for the minimum wage.

I shall carry on looking for something I can do, and I am sure something will come up, one day!!

So to conclude, it is not always as easy as just applying for a job and accepting it, there can be many varying reasons as to why some people are out of work.

And if anyone does want to employ a hard working reliable, responsible person, PLEASE do contact me.

(The above is not supporting the reason why this thread was started by the way)

Last edited:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I do find it strange, this story and the other one of a family taking £40k+ without giving anything back, that you are so blase about it, yet such an activist when it comes to removal of EMA and an increase in tuition fees.

Its not that i'm not angry or happy to see this happen! I just think more that the choice needs to be removed, not those who are able to work the system. I am FOR benefits to those who need them, but there does need to be a change. I am not going to hate on one person when its actually an entire structure that needs to be scrutinized.

For what its worth, you should be able to claim 3 years unemployment benefit, increasing by say a month every year you have work. So 3 years + 12 years working = 5 years worth. If you don't choose to work thats fine, but you will run dry of state help after 3 years. Unless you start working.

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
...and then they came for me.

I don't really want to defend the individual who prompted this thread, just question the reaction of many of the posters on this thread.

1 Come the day of the revolution, if you were to line up all the miscreants in this country, this guy would be so far off the end of the line you would make Pol Pot look a moderate. This guy costs taxpayers far less than the pettiest of criminals and does not compare to the double dippers who earn and claim.

2 Is it acceptable to judge people solely on how what they do for paid employment and how much they earn ? Are there any other ways individuals can contribute to society ?

3 Is it the government's responsibility to monitor the numbers of rare bird breeds or could this responsibility be shouldered by a big society ?:fishing:

4 Would this country be a better or worse place if more people were able to live a modest existence within their financial means ?

5 Would this country be a better place if more adults, considered the cost and responsibility for bringing kids into the world, rather than view parenthood as a right, regardless of the consequences.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Down here in NZ our current right of centre Government, have jumped on the beneficiary bashing band wagon (must be election year).

The problem is the beneficiaries outnumber the job vacancies more than 5 to 1.
So if people were forced to take all the available jobs, less than 20% of the problem will be addressed.

But I do think that after 1 year you should be made to take a job, any job, and I can't understand why that has never been implemented, or at least, enforced

Speaking as someone who has been employed mainly in supervisory/ managerial positions, (with out much pay) for the past 30 years & having to employ people for not much more than minimum wage, I would be loathe to have to hire anyone who had been long termed unemployed. (my jobs have been difficult enough, without adding more difficulty to it)

I really have no problem with long term unemployed who refuse to work, because they create a base from which the minimum wage is based, I call it trickle up.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Speaking as someone who has been employed mainly in supervisory/ managerial positions, (with out much pay) for the past 30 years & having to employ people for not much more than minnimum wage, I would be loathe to have to hire anyone who had been long termed unemployed. (my jobs have been difficult enough, without adding more difficulty to it).

Which I guess is why it hasn't happened.

I sometimes wonder if I was King of the World, whether it wouldn't be a good thing to restart a Ministry of Public works and get all the long-term unemployed back out there rebuilding the railways that have been torn up over the past fifty years. They get paid more, loads off benefits and a better public transport system.

Aaah, to dream

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Down here in NZ our current right of centre Government, have jumped on the beneficiary bashing band wagon (must be election year).

The problem is the beneficiaries outnumber the job vacancies more than 5 to 1.
So if people were forced to take all the available jobs, less than 20% of the problem will be addressed.

Speaking as someone who has been employed mainly in supervisory/ managerial positions, (with out much pay) for the past 30 years & having to employ people for not much more than minnimum wage, I would be loathe to have to hire anyone who had been long termed unemployed. (my jobs have been difficult enough, without adding more difficulty to it)

I really have no problem with long term unemployed who refuse to work, because they create a base from which the minnimum wage is based, I call it trickle up.

Nail and Head!! its fine people saying get everyone back into work, take any job that is offered, how about saying to all potential employers, you MUST employ this person, even though he/she has been out of work for X amount of years, has no skills at all for what is required.

In my way of thinking, the only way the long term unemployed (and other category's involving long term out of work) will get back into work is if the government create work, how, what, why and where, I have not got a clue, and it will probably cost more than keeping them on the dole anyway!!

It is just not as simple and easy as some think.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Put me in the camp that says he's not doing much wrong but what a f***ing sad case he is.

As has been said before, you have to be very careful not to remove benefits from those who need it most when clamping down on the cheats. What I find abhorrant is that we're slashing spending where it's really needed, yet that moron Iain Duncan Smith has decided that now is a good time to spend TWO BILLION POUNDS in an attempt to solve this problem when it is something that has eluded governments for 50 years. f***ing ridiculous popularist bollocks. If you really want to tackle this problem, admit that it is an expensive risk in trying and do it when the economy is in a healthier state.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here