Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Benefits & Footie

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I was a little reluctant at first to post this as I know that the benefits system gets some pretty bad press due to the inevitable stories we see about scroungers, the black economy and those who fraudulently milk the system. I for one find the actions of many of those cited as being totally unacceptable, and a stain upon those who genuinely for whatever reason cannot work. What I want to discuss has, ultimately, no real solution. But I think it is a point that is worth considering. It is not a case of the “poor old me’s” I assure you. This is what I wanted to share
I am using estimated figures in this so please bear with me, though the benefit figure is based on personal experience, and is referring to a single person. Here goes:
Imagine a weekly benefit of £90 (Housing sorted etc) and then consider the following: a train ticket from, say, Worthing/Littlehampton to Falmer (£10 approx) and a seat at say £25-£30, allowing for a program and taking a sarnie and not having a drink it is possible the whole day could be covered by £45. Now clearly this is 50% of the person’s income! Equally clearly what is left is not going to cover even minimal living expense like groceries, utilities etc. So it is fair to say that following Albion is going to be difficult if not impossible. I guess its hard luck and personally i live with that. However considering the percentage of income needed, how would a single working man who brings home say £300 pw feel about parting with half his income to watch the Albion!!
I was really just wondering this point and thinking that i wonder how many supporters there are in the local catchment area who are ardent fans but through no fault of there own cannot swell the numbers at games...must be a fairly large amount. Anyway enough waffling, I know there is no resolution to this. I appreciate one could faff about with my hypothetical figures etc and maybe produce a slightly different outcome, but i doubt it would be anything other than 40-50% of income.
That’s all, just a few thoughts. Inspired by some of the threads discussing 1901 memberships etc. I am certainly over the moon with the amount of seats and packages that seem to being snapped up. Roll on Falmer

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
There is a resolution. It's called getting a job.

:jester:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
That's life I'm afraid. Most of us have been through periods where we can't afford the luxuries, and watching the Albion comes under that category.

Fortunately for myself I'm in a position at the moment to afford such a thing, but there have been times where this hasn't been the case! You just have to grin and bear it!

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
Tipical lazy scrounger.Can't be arsed to work or stick to a diet but expects more handouts,this time from a sports venue.
If you have enough money to drink a 6 pack every night then you can afford a match ticket.Oh and cut down on your food bill.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
That's life I'm afraid. Most of us have been through periods where we can't afford the luxuries, and watching the Albion comes under that category.

Fortunately for myself I'm in a position at the moment to afford such a thing, but there have been times where this hasn't been the case! You just have to grit and bear it!

absolutely mate, and one does. oh for the old days when going to a match was never seen as a luxury! except maybe sitting in the old west stand at goldstone, now that was really living:lolol:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Fortunately for myself I'm in a position at the moment to afford such a thing, but there have been times where this hasn't been the case! You just have to grin and bear it!

Watching the albion a luxury? Have you been watching the same team? :jester:

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Watching the albion a luxury? Have you been watching the same team? :jester:

:laugh: in a masochistic sort of way i believe! i recall i think at the time when Peter Suddaby was playig that we lost something like 12 0r 13 0n the roll..now that was pretty painful

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
I work my bollocks off to be able to afford the things I want to do and lead the lifestyle I want to lead.
So someone who doesn't work has got no right to moan about things they cant afford to do.

We'd all have liked to have been born with a silver spoon in our mouths but sadly thats not the case for the vast majority..

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I was a little reluctant at first to post this as I know that the benefits system gets some pretty bad press due to the inevitable stories we see about scroungers, the black economy and those who fraudulently milk the system. I for one find the actions of many of those cited as being totally unacceptable, and a stain upon those who genuinely for whatever reason cannot work. What I want to discuss has, ultimately, no real solution. But I think it is a point that is worth considering. It is not a case of the “poor old me’s” I assure you. This is what I wanted to share
I am using estimated figures in this so please bear with me, though the benefit figure is based on personal experience, and is referring to a single person. Here goes:
Imagine a weekly benefit of £90 (Housing sorted etc) and then consider the following: a train ticket from, say, Worthing/Littlehampton to Falmer (£10 approx) and a seat at say £25-£30, allowing for a program and taking a sarnie and not having a drink it is possible the whole day could be covered by £45. Now clearly this is 50% of the person’s income! Equally clearly what is left is not going to cover even minimal living expense like groceries, utilities etc. So it is fair to say that following Albion is going to be difficult if not impossible. I guess its hard luck and personally i live with that. However considering the percentage of income needed, how would a single working man who brings home say £300 pw feel about parting with half his income to watch the Albion!!
I was really just wondering this point and thinking that i wonder how many supporters there are in the local catchment area who are ardent fans but through no fault of there own cannot swell the numbers at games...must be a fairly large amount. Anyway enough waffling, I know there is no resolution to this. I appreciate one could faff about with my hypothetical figures etc and maybe produce a slightly different outcome, but i doubt it would be anything other than 40-50% of income.
That’s all, just a few thoughts. Inspired by some of the threads discussing 1901 memberships etc. I am certainly over the moon with the amount of seats and packages that seem to being snapped up. Roll on Falmer

Your match ticket will cover travel from either Worthing or Shoreham, so that is money saved there, you don't need a programme, another fiver saved. :)

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
There are often very good reasons why some people cannot work. I may be wrong, but I,m sure from memory, that Highway 61 could fall into that category.

It is the tradgedy of the benefits system, that so many people abuse it, that for the genuine cases there is not sufficient money in the pot to afford so-called "luxuries".

I find it very sad, that people who genuinely cannot work, must live a life without these "luxuries".

I know I,m old, but when I was a kid, I used to get into the chicken-run at the Goldstone for 5p (1/-). Todays prices for a ticket are completely out of touch, with what used be considerd the "working mans " game.

Following your local league team shouldn,t be considered a "luxury".

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I don't think everyone on the dole is a scrounger and should just be glad they're given the base amount to survive on. I was on disability benefit as my work wouldn't continue to sickpay me, and as far as i remember i wasn't pretending to be ill or disabled. I suppose luckily i'd been in that coma for a while and couldn't remember my pin number or which bank i was with or what money was when waking, so ended up saving by mistake. That meant i had enough to be on benefit and go to the Albion still on rare occasion despite the £50 required to do so.
Only on that benefit for a month before struggling in and out of work each day for another couple of years.
But football, as a community sport, should look to support and encourage the attendance of those in need. Those players in our division on way above our average salary partly thanks to the enormity of attendance fees should keep that difference between them and us in mind. And the club owners should too, and look not to keep it.

No one should be ashamed to ask for help when not being able to cope, and shouldn't be slagged off and told to just get on with it by those who simply can.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I don't think everyone on the dole is a scrounger and should just be glad they're given the base amount to survive on. I was on disability benefit as my work wouldn't continue to sickpay me, and as far as i remember i wasn't pretending to be ill or disabled. I suppose luckily i'd been in that coma for a while and couldn't remember my pin number or which bank i was with or what money was when waking, so ended up saving by mistake. That meant i had enough to be on benefit and go to the Albion still on rare occasion despite the £50 required to do so.
Only on that benefit for a month before struggling in and out of work each day for another couple of years.
But football, as a community sport, should look to support and encourage the attendance of those in need. Those players in our division on way above our average salary partly thanks to the enormity of attendance fees should keep that difference between them and us in mind. And the club owners should too, and look not to keep it.

No one should be ashamed to ask for help when not being able to cope, and shouldn't be slagged off and told to just get on with it by those who simply can.

Always enjoy your posts, but the above tops them all.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I had some times in the 80's when i was out of work but would put aside the few quid for the Albion (no beer, fags & by walking everywhere) and it was the football that gave me an escape from the pressures of the real world for just a few hours.

Sadly football is now so expencive that, even though I've worked full time for years, I could not afford to watch every game now but have often found 'discount' tickets from friends and NSC. On the plus side, being at home, in the warm and with internet and radio commentry, can be a blessing when the wind & rain is lashing down outside.

I'm sure, mr highways, you'll get to see a match or two at Falmer. I'm hoping that there will be a lower range of prices for those who need it. Afterall, many grounds have empty seats down near the cornerflags.

There may also be discounted prices for some of the minor competitions.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
That's life, I had to sell my goldstone season ticket when my daughter was born because of the pittence of SMP available then compared to what is given away today so my wife had to work on Saturdays.

You can obviously afford an internet connection and computer maybe you should give up on of those

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
get a job on the turnstiles, selling programmes, or even as a steward - get in for nothing and get paid at same time

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
I am afraid it will be a case of attending the odd game until your circumstances change.

I had to give up my season ticket 2 years ago for financial reasons but still managed to get to 2/3rds of the home games, with a few away games thrown in as well last season.

Hope you get something sorted soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here