Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Beneath Brighton… tunnels..

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There's tunnels under what used to be the 'Heart in Hand' in the 70's. Very bottom of East street and ran under the seafront (A259).

Clifton Terrace and Sussex Square also have some good tunnels :wink:

Last edited:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Those toilets beneath the station are written large in my memory. As you went down the steps there was a strong smell emanating from the hairdresser, I don’t know what caused it. The gents toilets were always immaculate with marble urinals and copper pipe work that absolutely gleamed.
The exit to Trafalgar Street was well used . We certainly missed it when they blocked it up. After coming home up Trafalgar Street we had to walk further to the top and back to the Station entrance. Not good when carrying Mum’s shopping and rushing for a train…..

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Those toilets beneath the station are written large in my memory. As you went down the steps there was a strong smell emanating from the hairdresser, I don’t know what caused it. The gents toilets were always immaculate with marble urinals and copper pipe work that absolutely gleamed.
The exit to Trafalgar Street was well used . We certainly missed it when they blocked it up. After coming home up Trafalgar Street we had to walk further to the top and back to the Station entrance. Not good when carrying Mum’s shopping and rushing for a train…..
Exactly. If they're in any way saveable, they'd make a great club/bar/music venue

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yup, that always used to baffle me also. What on earth could 'of' caused that strong stench of urine to emanate from the hairdresser right next to the gents toilets :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s not mentioned in the article but most visitors to Brighton can’t believe there used to be a toilet under the clock tower.

I’d like to see that reopened.
I have posted about my experiences there in the early 70s. It had a resident paedophile who would lurch at any young teenage boy who decided this was a good place for a slash on the way home from Virgin records. He was apparently completely pissed 24/7 so it didn't take much to dodge him.

The place reminds me of this

It was masseur :facepalm:

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
They considered reopening the taxi road when they were moving the Station taxi rank.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
We had a school trip down the Poole Valley sewers when I was 11. Amazing. Horrible smell, but that was probably Paul Valley.
I did something similar, but I think it was with the cubs, late 1960s.

We entered on the seafront somewhere near bottom of West Street and emerged somewhere in Steine Gardens.

Very interesting seeing all the storm sewers snd, yes, the stench was quite memorable.

Can remember using both toilets, under the clock tower and under the station ot the top of Trafalgar Street. Circa early 70s

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here