Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I assume others here have seen the twitter stuff floating around today regarding White’s girlfriends’s dad? Apparently he’s a big Leeds fan and he’s been tweeting some spiel about Ben being held in a contract against his wishes, therefore he can approach the FA to terminate his contract with Brighton so he’s free to join Leeds. Apparently because he’s under 24 years of age this is a genuine thing.
They are getting confused with mandatory compensation payed for players under 24 who reject an offer of a new contract to move to another club.

If White was OUT OF CONTRACT and he rejected a new deal to sign for Leeds... they would have to pay.

Nothing to do with him being able to cancel a contract.

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011
Why were we relegated? Was it because of injuries to our defenders, and not having appropriate cover? In that case, probably. Were we failing to score goals to win the games? Were we "found out" and struggle to play Potter's tactics as he wants them to be played? Were we just not good enough across the whole pitch? Then no, having Ben White in those circumstances wouldn't have made a difference.

I think the point is White would give Leeds more points than if they didn't have him. Whether White affected our points total is irrelevant if he helps Leeds' points total at all. As a direct relegation rival any point gained for Leeds is an extra point WE have to gain

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They are getting confused with mandatory compensation payed for players under 24 who reject a new contract to move to another club.

They are but perhaps his gf's dad is fueling the fire, if so I'm sure the club will be professional and inform Ben what is expected

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
This wags old man may be a massive Leeds fan but i bet he not as rich as a certain massive Brighton fan we know of who owns the club and has ambitions of an aspiring young player he wishes to play for his football team. I know where my money would be on in this protection of interest scenario.:O

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Usually agree with you. Completely disagree with you on this though.

Potter has this small window to alter the squad and to further it to fit the way he wants us to play. Part of that is the defence as goals aren't just scored because of the strikers.

If White is part of that plan (and it sounds like he is) then selling him makes no sense whatsoever.

The "let's sell and sign a £30m striker etc" plan doesn't work on so many levels. We're Brighton, not West Ham, thankfully.

I trust GP and Tony anyway, they'll make the correct decision.

I didn't say sign a 30m striker. I talked about strengthening the team as a whole and I think there is an unsaid point in your post that we agree on - football and what makes a good team, is a complex web of nuance, the front affects the rear, the rear affects the front. the left the right and so on. A striker was just one option of where we can improve. But I think you're getting too fixated on the specifics of the team changing. My point in the post you quoted was that it was a poor hypothetical that leaves far too many questions. We could keep him and still get relegated through no fault of him, or because he turns out to not be good enough for the Prem. Would we feel stupid if we keep him this year, go down and sell him to leads next year for £7m because his contract is running down?

We do agree, generally. I'm not saying we should sell him and I, too, trust GP and Tony to make what they feel is the correct decision. I'm just more willing to see the arguments they might consider that could result in their decision to sell him.

I still don’t get your point. I mean, yes... selling one of the hottest properties, a young English talent being scouted by all the top clubs just screams ambition doesn’t it!

So let’s break down your position:

- how much would you sell him for?

- how would you feel if he were called up by England?

- who are we going to spend this windfall of money on, another AJ? Realistically how would the money help us?

- why strengthen a relegation rival

- and why sell White when we have a myriad of other players more preferable to sell? (Eg Duffy)

I suspect money isn’t the issue getting players, more about getting the right player.

Some here are hell bent on selling the guy before he’s even started for us in the PL. Starting to think some of you are Leeds fans.

Let me be clear, it is not my position that we should sell him. I can see the arguments for it and don't think it's as ridiculous as you.

My point was that your questions had quite obvious sensible answers, yet you presented them as if they closed the book on the discussion. Repeating the 'why strengthen a relegation rival' doesn't fill me with confidence that you actually took the answers in, but I'll answer it again with the others:
-Unless they came in with ridiculous offer (say, over £50m + add ons) I wouldn't. But it's not my decision to make.
-Honestly? Indifferent. Sure it's nice to see our players in the England squad, but it's not a reflection on me. I haven't done anything for them to get there and I don't really find international football all that inspiring.
-Why do you think in such absolutes? Only have an academy if every player makes it into the team. Only can be ambitious if we keep a player who is untested in the premier league. Only Able to buy flops if we sell a good youth player. Maybe we'd buy another couple of Lampteys, or a Mac Allister or two, maybe another Bissouma or prem-level FDM. I don't know who our recruitment team are looking at. But having more money to spend will certainly help improve their chance of getting the ones they want. Maybe we'd get a "top, top player" who pushes us on in a way a youngster in his first premier league season doesn't.
-Again, maybe we don't see them as a rival. In the same way Chelsea were willing to sell us Lamptey because it wasn't going to make us a top four club that threatens their place at the top, maybe we are looking at it as 'we're going for 9-13, it's not important to us who are fighting it out for 16-20.
-Because there is someone with a windfall currently really eager to buy White, so we could get more for him than we can for Duffy or AJ etc. And it's not an either/or. We could sell White bringing in that money, then bring in more money by also selling AJ and so on (probably not wise to sell all our back up central defenders, though).

If Ben White is as good as everyone - not only Leeds fans - seems to think he is, why on earth would we want to sell him, specially as Mr Potter is on record as saying he had his eye on him even when he was still Swansea manager, and that he is looking forward to working with him. He is Potter’s type of player. Selling him is not going to happen.

The only people I've seen bigging him up as a potential signing/top player are us and Leeds. Liverpool are sniffing around but as far as I am aware it's not as a first team starter, and they are not exactly blowing him up like he's the next VVD. He's got some good reviews for his performances, but we're not waking up to new rumours of another big six side making enquiries.

Yeah, when Potter was a Swansea manager a promising youngster from a Premier league side would be great to work with. Now he's a premier league manager and has premier league players to work with. Again, not saying that means he doesn't want to work with him or is eager to sell him, just that I can see how him wanting to work with White as Swansea manager, and being willing to let him go now (if he and Bloom decide that it is the right thing to do) isn't a contradiction.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
37 pages and the boy hasn't even kicked a ball for us yet. This is more futile than the Cambridge Analytica assessment of the likely sunnyness of yonder uplands, post Brexit :shrug:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think the point is White would give Leeds more points than if they didn't have him. Whether White affected our points total is irrelevant if he helps Leeds' points total at all. As a direct relegation rival any point gained for Leeds is an extra point WE have to gain

I really don't think it works as a hypothetical. And my point is that football, and league systems, are too complex to say we were relegated because we sold him, or we would have stayed up if we didn't sell him (even if he never played for us). But it can still go the other way: what if we don't sell him and they bring in someone better and he's the difference between us staying up or going down? We could have sold them a youngster who would struggle to adjust to the higher quality of opponent leading to more dropped points for them, and a lower points target for us for survival?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He has, Harry old chap. He started the League Cup fixtures against Colchester United and Oxford United in the summer of 2016.

And anyone there for the Colchester game, knew right then, that the kid was going to be an excellent player (3 years before anyone at Leeds had heard of him).

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
And anyone there for the Colchester game, knew right then, that the kid was going to be an excellent player (3 years before anyone at Leeds had heard of him).

That can’t be true, Ben White is world class purely because Bielsa has made him that way [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They are getting confused with mandatory compensation payed for players under 24 who reject an offer of a new contract to move to another club.

If White was OUT OF CONTRACT and he rejected a new deal to sign for Leeds... they would have to pay.

Nothing to do with him being able to cancel a contract.

Correct. This is what happened when Ings moved to Liverpool in 2015: Ings was out of contract, but Liverpool still had to pay Burnley over 6m as he was only 22 at the time. Quite the opposite of being able to easily cancel a contract.

No one would ever pay a transfer fee for an U24 if this was he case!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bielsa said that if Ben White spent a few weeks or a month training as midfielder, he could have the same impact there as he had as a defender. Wonder if that could be a possibility considering the number of CBs...

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Bielsa said that if Ben White spent a few weeks or a month training as midfielder, he could have the same impact there as he had as a defender. Wonder if that could be a possibility considering the number of CBs...

Would be a brave move, but then again he is only a year younger than Wilf Ndidi, Rodri and Torrera when they started playing Premier League football.

It’s a big step up from Championship to doing well in the Prem. Hope people are patient

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Did he actually say that? Ive not seen or read any interviews of him saying it, although I have seen a lot of things written by Leeds fans relating to Ben White, and most of them are complete fabrications. A few examples:

He’s bought a house in York
We’ve had a new contract on the table for months that he’s refusing to sign
He’s actually stated he wants to stay at Leeds
Unhappy about being shipped on loan by Potter for the last 3 years
Has never played a senior game for Brighton
He’d never displace Duffy
Brighton play hoof ball from defence so he’d never fit in

Please feel free to add to the above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here