Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
100% this. As for loaning him to Leeds again, simply can't see that happening at all. If he's 'PL ready' Potter will be itching to use him - just need to see who he replaces. Duffy would be my bet as he's the least 'Potterball' type of CB we have.

Ah yes - IF he's PL ready. He has yet to play at that level and it has taken Webster (who was supposed to be the best defender in the Championship last season) a while to adjust.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
That would be amazing.

I read the other day that they were already going to have to pay about £50 million if they wanted to keep their other loan players (including one who arrived in January and has hardly played due to injury). That is very similar to Villa, who went up with quite a lot of loan players. And where we definitely had an advantage, as we only lost Stockdale of our key players when we went up (and that seems to be because we wanted to sign a better keeper).

That's because on the whole, our loan players have been crap:lolol:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Im sure if Leeds can come up with £40M or perhaps £30M with add ons White may well end up at Leeds. So the question is; how deep are Leeds pockets because if they have the cash they will offer. Perhaps Leeds would like to do a Fulham and probably a Villa by splashing out £200M then get relegated. Now that would be funny

It's been reported that they have a budget of c £50m. May not be true but that was published in The Times I think. I don't see Leeds doing a "Villa/Fulham" but I could see them spending £60-80m - and at that level, White will still be too large a chunk of their budget for them to risk buying him. I definitely could see a Top6 club taking a punt though - but as many have said, TB is not selling unless the offer is eye wateringly high, which feels unlikely given current financial circumstances and new TV deal looking like it will be 20% lower than the current one.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Ah yes - IF he's PL ready. He has yet to play at that level and it has taken Webster (who was supposed to be the best defender in the Championship last season) a while to adjust.

Meanwhile Dunk, who was the best defender in the Championship the year we were promoted, took to it like a duck to water. Why is White more likely to take a long time than Dunk?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
COME ON [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION],

If White has made over 20 quotes on how he wants to stay at Leeds how hard can it be to find just ONE :smile:

I’m not saying he doesn’t btw but he’s going to find it tough to pull it off and I think he will have been advised to keep his mouth shut about it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Meanwhile Dunk, who was the best defender in the Championship the year we were promoted, took to it like a duck to water. Why is White more likely to take a long time than Dunk?

Dunk had way more experience when he made the step up, over 150 games in the Championship for us and was approaching 26 years old. White has nowhere near that experience, that said when Lewis Dunk was 22 we still had concerns about the mistakes he had in his game and how many cards he was likely to pick up in a season. White looks a better prospect at the same age than Dunk did, and we've seen how brilliantly Dunky has grown as a footballer, so it looks very promising for White too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dunk had way more experience when he made the step up, over 150 games in the Championship for us and was approaching 26 years old. White has nowhere near that experience, that said when Lewis Dunk was 22 we still had concerns about the mistakes he had in his game and how many cards he was likely to pick up in a season. White looks a better prospect at the same age than Dunk did, and we've seen how brilliantly Dunky has grown as a footballer, so it looks very promising for White too.

Many on here offered to drive Dunk to Fulham when they showed interest :smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As we've pulled Dunk into the discussion, we ought to nod towards Duffy too.

Dunk's transition to Premier League footballer, on the edges of the national team, was made considerably easier by having a telepathic brick wall of a 'brother' next to him.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
It's been reported that they have a budget of c £50m. May not be true but that was published in The Times I think. I don't see Leeds doing a "Villa/Fulham" but I could see them spending £60-80m - and at that level, White will still be too large a chunk of their budget for them to risk buying him. I definitely could see a Top6 club taking a punt though - but as many have said, TB is not selling unless the offer is eye wateringly high, which feels unlikely given current financial circumstances and new TV deal looking like it will be 20% lower than the current one.

I think Leeds have White at the top of their list. Defence is after all the foundations of any team and certainly not leaking too many goals is an essential aspect of not getting relegated. I agree a top 6 club will be interested and wouldn't be surprised if a Spanish/Italian club were not keeping an eye on him as well. All good news for TB and the bank balance so down to White and if he says he wants to stay at Leeds it then becomes a question of whether a top 6 bids and whether White wants to bench warm half the season or wants games (with Leeds). I think he will put games before wealth and so it all comes round to Leeds and their ability to pay what TB wants. If White doesn't want to play for us (I sense he will put Leeds before us) we will sell. This will be resolved within a month Im sure.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sweden's internet must have gone down.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think Leeds have White at the top of their list. Defence is after all the foundations of any team and certainly not leaking too many goals is an essential aspect of not getting relegated. I agree a top 6 club will be interested and wouldn't be surprised if a Spanish/Italian club were not keeping an eye on him as well. All good news for TB and the bank balance so down to White and if he says he wants to stay at Leeds it then becomes a question of whether a top 6 bids and whether White wants to bench warm half the season or wants games (with Leeds). I think he will put games before wealth and so it all comes round to Leeds and their ability to pay what TB wants. If White doesn't want to play for us (I sense he will put Leeds before us) we will sell. This will be resolved within a month Im sure.

No way on earth that Leeds will spend what could be more than half of their recruitment budget on a CB that has not been proven, or even played, in the Prem.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’m just putting this out there as well, obviously Ben White has had a fantastic breakthrough season but I think we need to be very careful, the championship is different gravy to this league and he is totally unproven, he has the attributes but Mitrovic is probably the best striker in the championship... dealing with Aguero, Kane, Sterling, Salah ect is a whole different ballgame.

Wizard it's etc not ect, I'm sure you do it to wind me up.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
No way on earth that Leeds will spend what could be more than half of their recruitment budget on a CB that has not been proven, or even played, in the Prem.

Agreed. As I said earlier on in the thread, they have got to pay quite a bit of money already if they want to buy other players currently on loan. They also have Patrick Bamford as their main striker at the moment so they will need to spend big to improve their forward line. I imagine a lot of their budget will go on that, and they won't be guaranteed to get it right.

We were very lucky when we came up that Glenn Murray hit the form of his life. Unless Bamford finds a very unlikely run of form, Leeds won't be able to rely on this.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville

I didn't say he was. But you have to admit that there's a question mark. Put it this way, if I were Graham Potter I wouldn't be accepting offers for Duffy, Webster or Burn until we've seen White play a few Premier League games.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Out of the 32 players in the Leeds United Squad, 9 are loans. So they need to fill at least 2 gaps to make a 25 man squad plus replace any others that they deem not good enough to step up if they get promoted. Hernandez is 35 and Berardi is 31. 10 of the others are currently 21 or under. To me that means they have a lot of squad building to do to even think of competing in the Prem.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Out of the 32 players in the Leeds United Squad, 9 are loans. So they need to fill at least 2 gaps to make a 25 man squad plus replace any others that they deem not good enough to step up if they get promoted. Hernandez is 35 and Berardi is 31. 10 of the others are currently 21 or under. To me that means they have a lot of squad building to do to even think of competing in the Prem.

Aston Villa

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here