Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
This is a funny saga

For the last 12 months all we’ve heard is “this lads gonna be world class, he’s the beat CB since Rio Ferdinand, he’s gonna be England captain, he’s the no 1 target for next season, he’s got the world at his feet” etc etc

When push comes to shove and it’s time to show how much you are willing to spend on him it’s “that’s an outrageous valuation the lad ain’t worth that”.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yes fair point.

I think we're due at least one saga every window from now on. How times have changed

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm hoping this summers one will be Duffy to celtic/Edouard to Brighton. It's got real dramatic potential. A much sought after young foreign STARLET being spotted on the motorway near all sorts of suitors(yes, I know he'd fly down but driving adds to the drama...), a bidding war, Duffy being the ace in the hole with the chance to play for his boyhood club, can he agree terms with them in time as the clock ticks down on deadline day, will the Albion miss out on a mega deal as the clock strikes 11(or 1 or whenever deadline is) leaving us with no new striker, will the ferry to France from Newhaven be the clincher?

Could be an absolute HUMDINGER.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The below link suggests £31.5m is the highest ever paid for a Championship player.....................(and the highest for a defender as we know is Webster at around £20m). The numbers being bandied around for White are quite daft for someone totally untested at the top level....double that paid for Webster ? Can't see it happening, even if we were prepared to let him go.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cha...n_id//altersklasse//leihe//w_s//zuab/0/plus/1

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The only way the club can lose out on a Ben White deal is if the lad is nowhere good enough for the PL. You would then be kicking yourself you didn’t take the £20m +.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
As has already been alluded to... If Bielsa is such a magician, why can't he just do exactly what he did to turn Ben White from the donkey we "carted off" to Newport and Peterborough into prime Maldini to one of their youth players? :moo:

What about the player they did have the commitment to buy in advance? Jean Kevin Augustin.
Obviously a Bielsa pick, has had months to work with him, lay on hands, cover him in magic dust and learn the systems of the worlds best ever manager and after all that they are left with a massive bill for a pile of shit (that they are trying renege upon)

#MagicianMyArse
#NoLoans2Leeds

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The only way the club can lose out on a Ben White deal is if the lad is nowhere good enough for the PL. You would then be kicking yourself you didn’t take the £20m +.

If he's attracting genuine interest from the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool you'd like to think he is good enough, I'm sure they have good scouts.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
The below link suggests £31.5m is the highest ever paid for a Championship player.....................(and the highest for a defender as we know is Webster at around £20m). The numbers being bandied around for White are quite daft for someone totally untested at the top level....double that paid for Webster ? Can't see it happening, even if we were prepared to let him go.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cha...n_id//altersklasse//leihe//w_s//zuab/0/plus/1

The highest fee paid on that list for a player with no Premier League experience is £22.5 million (James Maddison from Norwich to Everton), the 4 players above him on the list have Premier League experience and were sold straight after they'd been relegated.

We simply don't want to sell Ben, which is why we've allegedly slapped this £40 million price tag on his head. It would put off all but the biggest clubs, and they can afford to wait it out another season and see if he is good enough and then come in with an offer. A newly promoted side is never going to risk that much on an untested player, no matter how much they claim he loves the club etc.

We can't lose, if Ben White is good enough, we sell him on for a lot more than is currently being offered in a year or two, and way north of our current £40 million valuation. Even if he doesn't step up we should still be able to get more for him than we did Knockaert selling back into the Championship. Or he's just not quite good enough for the top 6 but still a decent Premier League player and has a long career here.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
sssshhhhhhh, don't want them finding out that they are going about it the wrong way.

Too late. They got promoted with a squad full of loanees and so are f**ked either way. They have to buy all the players on loan or start again with a new squad, neither has been particularly successful tactically in recent years.

You need to come up with your squad intact and carefully add to it without disrupting the balance too much.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Ben White

I’m not sure what the motivation would be for White to return to Leeds , he’d be first name in the team sheet , so he’s nothing left to prove there

Currently he’s probably our 4th choice centre half , so his challenge should be to show he’s one of our top two centre halves and be a first team regular

Once he’s established that then he can look at a move to CL club .

Leeds are like Newport , Peterborough and Southampton

A stepping stone and In the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The numbers being bandied around for White are quite daft for someone totally untested at the top level....double that paid for Webster ? Can't see it happening, even if we were prepared to let him go.

Your last sentence is the clue. We're not prepared to let him go, even at market value. So, if any club DID want him, they would have to pay around double market value.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
On the couple of articles I’ve read in the Argus they’ve said that sky have disclosed that we’ve received bids but they’ve not confirmed those bids I’d be inclined to think that we’ve not actually had any offers from Leeds as they knew from the get go he wasn’t for sale to them

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Your last sentence is the clue. We're not prepared to let him go, even at market value. So, if any club DID want him, they would have to pay around double market value.

There is an element of truth in this. Dunk for instance, when compared to others that could be bought in the market, would have a finite upper limit on his worth to a buyer. But to us he is worth a lot more than that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

reckon we are open to sensible offers, just not to direct competitor Leeds. if Liverpool offered around 25-30m we'd agree to let him talk, im sure they'd convince him playing in alongside van Dijk, competing for title and champions league is a better propostion than Leeds.

or we could put him into our plans and forego the pay day, or hold out not play him and risk a disgruntled player. eitherways, i dont see him playing for Leeds next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here