Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Watson

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Former Albion striker Ben Watson has turned down a move to Rushden & Diamonds but could still return to the Football League.

Watson, 20, was released by the Seagulls last March but first-team football with Bognor Regis Town has put him in the shop window. Now playing regularly up front, rather than wide in Albion's reserves, he has scored 29 goals for the Nationwide South club this season. The Rocks last week accepted a five-figure bid from Rushden, believed to be £15,000 plus £10,000 based on appearances, but Watson turned down the League Two strugglers.

The fleet-footed forward, who has been watched by Bournemouth and Leyton Orient recently, wants to keep his options open and has pledged to give 100 per cent while he remains at Nyewood Lane. Another possibility is a move to the second biggest club in Sussex, Crawley Town, whose new manager John Hollins praised his two goals and overall performance in a recent cup match. Weymouth are also thought to be interested.

Watson told the Non-League Paper: 'I want to play League football and Rushden made me a very generous offer, but it's just a gut feeling weighing up the negatives against the positives. It was 50-50 so I wasn't sure and you've got to be sure.'

Morgans Mullet

Mar 9, 2004
I think it was a mistake not to sign Ben Watson at the end of his scholarship even if he doesn't fit the bill as a 'big' centre forward he knows where the goal is and the club could have done with the £15000 if he was sold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here