Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Hur

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Anyone else actually watched this behemoth of a film from start to finish as I did over the weekend? (yes, I was/am poorly). It's really bloody good and far from just a chariot race with a film attached, as it has been described.

Although, that race: I'm trying to think of a better action sequence in any film, ever - you KNOW that Charlton Heston is going to win, you KNOW the other bloke's legs are going to be bloody like raw meat afterwards and still it's magnificent. I might get the DVD, it has tasty extras on it.

1959_BenHur1.jpg

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Uninteresting fact of the day for you is that the bloke that falls from the chariot and gets trampled actually happened. they asked his wife if they could still use the footage and she agreed as her husbands life was the movie industry and it was the biggest film he had been in:eek:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Not everybody liked it when it came out, one critic said this, 'Loved him, hated Hur'.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
B.M.F said:
Uninteresting fact of the day for you is that the bloke that falls from the chariot and gets trampled actually happened. they asked his wife if they could still use the footage and she agreed as her husbands life was the movie industry and it was the biggest film he had been in:eek:

Uninteresting: it wouldn't be if it weren't untrue: http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/benhur.htm

That 1926 version looks a blast. :eek:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I see hate in your eyes. Hate keeps a man alive 41 (or whatever his number was on the galleon) :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Perry Milkins said:
MoH

It is my favourite film. Asd was demonstrated by my previous avatar.

What, that little weasily old man? In black and white? Who did he play, "pallid and useless galley slave right at the back"? :dunce:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Juan Albion said:
Currently sitting here watching Charlton Heston in 'Earthquake.' It is not quite as good.

They still have the 'Earthquake ' ride at Universal studios.

'RIDE THE MOVIES' is the famous slogon...intrigued I spent all day looking for the 9 1/2 Weeks attraction.

:shootself

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I saw Ben Hur performed by a cast of six at Battersea Arts Centre a couple of years ago. Now that was some spectacle.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Juan Albion said:
Currently sitting here watching Charlton Heston in 'Earthquake.' It is not quite as good.

We'll be able to enjoy all of his output again soon - apparently his Alzheimers is sadly very advanced so his rifle might indeed soon be able to be pried from his cold, dead hands, as the great man himself once requested.

I'd rank his movie performances as follows:
1. Ben Hur
2. Wayne's World 2
3. Bowling For Columbine

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nah, Charlton Heston's only decent performance was in Orson Welles' A Touch of Evil - a truly great film, despite Chuck's presence.

Perry - the sea battle was carried out with the aid of some chairs - as was the chariot race. It was one of the most inventive nights at the theatre that I've ever seen.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Gwylan said:
Perry - the sea battle was carried out with the aid of some chairs - as was the chariot race. It was one of the most inventive nights at the theatre that I've ever seen.

It sounds good - unless the novelty of the "hey, it's an epic but let's do it right here" factor wears off. Did it go on for as long as the film?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here