Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Bellcheeses In The Supermarket (Coronavirus Edition)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The woman who lives next door to me went out at least six times yesterday. I think "once a day" got lost somewhere in translation. Then, today she went back off to the supermarket while her husband "saved" her road parking space for her with his recycling bins. This was the cue for the recycling collection van to turn up :lolol: which lead to a confused looking husband trying to decide whether to move his bin back to in front of his garden for collection or try to persuade them to take it from the road, which in turn led to him standing probably less than two centimetres from one of the refuse collectors. FFS.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The woman who lives next door to me went out at least six times yesterday. I think "once a day" got lost somewhere in translation.

Where does the law say you can only leave the house once a day? It's about having a reasonable excuse to leave the house, and this is the most recent police advice on what constitutes reasonable:
https://www.college.police.uk/What-we-do/COVID-19/Documents/What-constitutes-a-reasonable-excuse.pdf

Of course there is also the recommendation (though not legal requirement) to combine trips out (I try to only do my shopping while out on bike rides), but there is no legal requirement limiting persons to only leaving the house once a day.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Bloke with his 4 kids all wearing masks and gloves wandering the tesco isles today while I stocked up. Filling a basket with chocolate and snax. Considering they wore masks and gloves they did not social distance at all.

These people are really starting to annoy me.

Someone at work has started to wear one after not since this has started- part of me thinks it’s just attention seeking

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Our local Morrisons is just a free for all, people sneaking in behind the security guy’s back while those of us waiting in the queue this morning looked on, him oblivious, too busy chatting to his mates coming out of the store. Into the store and the aisles are too narrow to avoid anyone, all aisles also far too busy with people, people bumping into other people and brushing them on the way past, no one way system, absolutely zero social distancing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This is a massive generalisation but I’ve actually found Waitrose in Horsham to be a good experience since this happened. Queue with cones marking out distancing, generally everyone respectful to distancing and they only let in about 60 at a time and 1 per household.

Done it for the last 4 weeks on Saturday morning and no problem.

Went to Tesco in Worthing this week and it was horrendous

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think the queues are beginning to die down now. I went to the Sainsbury's by the station this morning and walked right in - no queue at all. Nor was there one when I came out. And, everyone was keeping to a social distance too (still no flour though!)

It seems people are over the initial panic and settling into a routine now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Where does the law say you can only leave the house once a day? It's about having a reasonable excuse to leave the house, and this is the most recent police advice on what constitutes reasonable:
https://www.college.police.uk/What-we-do/COVID-19/Documents/What-constitutes-a-reasonable-excuse.pdf

Of course there is also the recommendation (though not legal requirement) to combine trips out (I try to only do my shopping while out on bike rides), but there is no legal requirement limiting persons to only leaving the house once a day.

Why do you need to go out six times a day when you should only be doing it for shopping and exercise ???

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is a massive generalisation but I’ve actually found Waitrose in Horsham to be a good experience since this happened. Queue with cones marking out distancing, generally everyone respectful to distancing and they only let in about 60 at a time and 1 per household.

Done it for the last 4 weeks on Saturday morning and no problem.

Went to Tesco in Worthing this week and it was horrendous

Aligns with my experience over the last couple of weeks too....Waitrose, very civilised and pretty much everyone respecting distancing. Tesco and Lidl - entry to the store managed ok but a good % of morons totally ignoring distancing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

There’s the “law” and there’s “doing what’s right”. Everyone can probably find loopholes in the “law” but that ain’t gonna get us through this.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

"Guidance" not law, and from March 29th.

From the police Chief's Council in response to this week's decision to extend the 'lockdown'. https://www.college.police.uk/What-we-do/COVID-19/Documents/What-constitutes-a-reasonable-excuse.pdf under the 'likely to be reasonable' column: Exercising more than once per day - the only relevant consideration is whether repeated exercise on the same day can be considered a ‘reasonable excuse’ for leaving home. If she can provide a reasonable excuse for leaving the house to exercise more than once, then she is free to do so in the eyes of the people charged with upholding the law.

There’s the “law” and there’s “doing what’s right”. Everyone can probably find loopholes in the “law” but that ain’t gonna get us through this.

There's also mob justice based on misunderstanding of the laws and ignorance of other people's actual circumstances (as opposed to what you think they might be based on appearances, prejudices, etc). There's also various types of 'right' that can be based on a range of things from morals to religious or political beliefs, etc. What one person's idea of 'right' is might not match another person's, which is partly why the law is there. A standard set of what is permitted and what is not.

The law permits people to leave their houses as often as the have a reasonable excuse (in the eyes of the law, not some curtain-twitching neighbour) to do so.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Last edited:

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Much as I dearly love my 75 year old neighbour (tho not in the biblical sense obviously) I always WINCE when she takes me up on my offer of getting her in a few bits of shopping. Cos it's never as simple as you hope. Last time it was two courgettes AND some fresh coriander. This morning it was - alongside the relatively simply sourceable 2 pints of semi skimmed milk and a copy of the Daily Mail - some f*cking GINGER to put in her tea (along with lemon which she mercifully already had in stock)

Praise be to the god of your choice that Saino's Local miraculously had some ginger in stock. Who KNEW they had such a thing and that that thing looked like that? Can't WAIT now til I'm 75 and can place such pressure and such unreasonable demands on my well-meaning but largely ineffectual younger neighbours

And... RELAX :smokin:

OK - thing number one. Well done - you are doing a great job and you will get your reward in a better place (I'm hoping that the better place is the Amex on the occasion of putting the Palace to the sword)

I enjoyed your account but found myself in a way cast in the role of your sweet old neighbourly lady (I'm not sweet or a lady - I suspect I'm somewhat halfway age wise between you and your neighbour). I'm high-risk but not extremely high risk. My wife is in very good health so is currently doing the food shop but I'm the cook - so she gets irritated with the items I'm selecting and I find myself biting my lip if the wrong thing comes through the front door - and I'm guessing she would gladly swap my order for courgettes , coriander or ginger

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

From the police Chief's Council in response to this week's decision to extend the 'lockdown'. https://www.college.police.uk/What-we-do/COVID-19/Documents/What-constitutes-a-reasonable-excuse.pdf under the 'likely to be reasonable' column: Exercising more than once per day - the only relevant consideration is whether repeated exercise on the same day can be considered a ‘reasonable excuse’ for leaving home. If she can provide a reasonable excuse for leaving the house to exercise more than once, then she is free to do so in the eyes of the people charged with upholding the law.

There's also mob justice based on misunderstanding of the laws and ignorance of other people's actual circumstances (as opposed to what you think they might be based on appearances, prejudices, etc). There's also various types of 'right' that can be based on a range of things from morals to religious or political beliefs, etc. What one person's idea of 'right' is might not match another person's, which is partly why the law is there. A standard set of what is permitted and what is not.

The law permits people to leave their houses as often as the have a reasonable excuse (in the eyes of the law, not some curtain-twitching neighbour) to do so.

Mate, this is a "bellcheeses" thread, not a court of law. The whole POINT is social judgement. If you think going out six times a day, reserving your own on road parking space and confronting refuse collectors is acceptable or excusable, that's fine. I just hope I don't live anywhere near you.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

In fact, what you clarify is more than "guidance" and detailed in :

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 (the Regulations);

which is now part of UK Legislation, and is in addition to The Coronavirus Act, 2020

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6/made

And this clarifies that there is no restriction to only exercise once.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The shopping experience is so much better and quicker than before we had this Coronavirus. Less ********s in the shop pottering about, and the ones who suddenly stop without warning I can now walk around without feeling the need to curse them under my breath.

I hope this social distancing becomes the new norm for supermarkets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here