Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being a Premiership professional, blimey what a detachment from real life...

Ahem. Anyway, back to the subject matter - I don't believe that, for one second.

The whole story has 'leaked out' as afterthoughts. Doesn't anyone recall the proclaimings that everything was "done in time, before midnight" etc?

This is all a cover-up story to hide some jiggery-pokery that was pulled on Portsmouth. Pompey and Harry Redknapp simply played a trump card by changing Defoe's purchase to "it was a LOAN, actually" and forced the hand of somebody.

I wouldn't know who, and I wouldn't know why this all went on - perhaps a bit of a revenge play? Whatever it was, it didn't work and now we are hearing these lame excuses in the aftermath. :glare:

imo.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
And That's The Point. There Might Have Been A Very Good Reason. Don't Let It Stop All You Bullies From Having A Go At The Footballers Though.

By The Way - What Do You Know About What A Footballer Really Does For You To Make These Statements? Seems To Me You're Just As Full Of It As The Rest Of Them On Here.

Please, please, please can you stop typing everything in Title Case.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Who's Doing The Stalking Now? And This Is You Owning Me Then, Is It? The Collected Wit And Wisdom Of The Finest Resting Actor Of Our Generation Broken Down Into 4 Letters. I Bet You're An Even Better Actor Than Dean Gaffney Too. Is There No End To Your Talents?
You really do have your head up your own arse don't you.

What experience do you have of how a premiership footballer lives compared to, say, and Ipswich player?

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Please, please, please can you stop typing everything in Title Case.

Don't Like It? Don't Read It.

You really do have your head up your own arse don't you.

What experience do you have of how a premiership footballer lives compared to, say, and Ipswich player?

Why Is My Head Up My Arse? I'm Just Saying That Most People On Here Have No Idea OF The Real Lives Of Footballers Whether It's Brighton, Wigan or AC Milan. I Happen To Know A Premiership Footballer (No - I'm Not Saying Who) And A Few Lower League Ones So Can Speak With A Bit Of Experience Rather Than Shout My Mouth Off Like The Ignorant Bore That You Are.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Don't Like It? Don't Read It.

Why Is My Head Up My Arse? I'm Just Saying That Most People On Here Have No Idea OF The Real Lives Of Footballers Whether It's Brighton, Wigan or AC Milan. I Happen To Know A Premiership Footballer (No - I'm Not Saying Who) And A Few Lower League Ones So Can Speak With A Bit Of Experience Rather Than Shout My Mouth Off Like The Ignorant Bore That You Are.

What apart from the fact that Premiership footballers are paid an extortionate amount of money, are considered to be near, if not at, the top of their profession, and don't work full days like other more important careers I could mention?

I couldn't care less whether you know a Premiershite footballer or not - it is utterly inexcusable that a career professional falls asleep whilst getting ready to sign what is likely to be a multi-million pound deal - no matter what kind of day they have had!!

You are simply creating an argument for the sheer hell of it.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
What I want to know is why the two bob mug was not on a private jet?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Heard on the radio this morning that Benjani's on-off saga transfer from Portsmouth to City was delayed, if true, because he fell asleep at the airport and missed two flights. It got me thinking about the parallels of working in the real world...imagine if you were a talented sales director and were offered a job with better pay, better prospects, for a company with more of an international brand in a different part of the country. The job is in the bag, no interview required, just hop on the plane and sign the contract. So, I wonder, how many prospective employers out there would still go ahead and give the job to some numpty who fell asleep and missed not 1 but 2 flights...of course in the crazy world of football these things don't matter and Benjani is now a Man City player.

The problem is not with the player, who knows things like that don't matter, but with the whole ridiculous system that allows that kind of behaviour to pass without penalty.

As a business model the Premiership exists in an insidious bubble and the more people who actually draw a line in the sand and wish to reintroduce a semblance of common sense the better - e.g. chairmen (including our own) who don't wish to deal with agents and Ab Fab Capello who seems to be installing some discipline and respect in our overpaid, underperforming national team the better.

Man, it's a bonkers place Planet Premiership...

Thought exactly the same thing this morning.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's Not Like Other 9 To 5 Jobs.

no, its f***ing EASY by comparison. you have to turn up to training around 10am, probably only 4 times a week, then go to work on Saturday, possibly having stayed in a flash 4/5 star hotel the night before. for this you will be reimbursed several 10k's a WEEK and retire before you are 40 or earlier if you are lucky.

now, tell me of a 9-5 job that pays even a tenth of that? i give a starting point, you will have spent 5-10 years training to get there and/or put in a lot more than 36 hours/week (so its not 9-5 anyway).

Get A Clue Twat (maybe you can understand in caps)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
no, its f***ing EASY by comparison. you have to turn up to training around 10am, probably only 4 times a week, then go to work on Saturday, possibly having stayed in a flash 4/5 star hotel the night before. for this you will be reimbursed several 10k's a WEEK and retire before you are 40 or earlier if you are lucky.

now, tell me of a 9-5 job that pays even a tenth of that? i give a starting point, you will have spent 5-10 years training to get there and/or put in a lot more than 36 hours/week (so its not 9-5 anyway).

Get A Clue Twat (maybe you can understand in caps)

Don't worry. Bars is a massive twat who likes nothing more than pretending to know Premiership footballers and spouting off to other NSC memebers. He has a massive superiority complex and no opinion of any value whatsoever. The only thing he knows about football is the name Nathan Elder with whom he would love to shag up the dinner dumper. Bars is a massively repressed individual that has not a clue about football, life, or how to act like a normal human being. Aint that right Bars, ya massive twat?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Don't worry. Bars is a massive twat who likes nothing more than pretending to know Premiership footballers and spouting off to other NSC memebers. He has a massive superiority complex and no opinion of any value whatsoever. The only thing he knows about football is the name Nathan Elder with whom he would love to shag up the dinner dumper. Bars is a massively repressed individual that has not a clue about football, life, or how to act like a normal human being. Aint that right Bars, ya massive twat?

Nibble. Yours and Bars Mars spat is getting VERY boring now. I think you'll see that Beorhthelm has been here longer than you and yet you're going around like the grand old man of the board. Just bloody IGNORE Bars. It's ruining thread after thread after thread.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner

Really? How Would You Know This? Have We Met? Did You Serve Me A Big Mac Once?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
But what other prefession controls your whole life??

In your 9-5 job at 5pm you can do what you like, if you want to go for a drinking binge and take al the drugs you can get your hands on then you can, likwise with food, your job doesnt control what you eat, unlike a prfessional footballer.

And if your boss told that because you didnt do your job properly one day, you have to be there at 6am the next day, you wouldnt vbe expected to do it, unlike footballers.

Being a footballer is alot harder than people think. You start the carrer at the age of 10 when you get snapped up by a pro team, how many of you guys in a 9-5 were doing the same job at the age of 10?

How many people who are in a 9-5 could have your carrer ended in one split second whilst you are doing your job, through no fault of your own?

Yes some of them are massivley overpaid, but its not a case of turning up for a couple of hours every morning and picking up your £50,000 cheque every week!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here