Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being a casual

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've reported this tool for trolling but if a few others can also perhaps the mods might get him to stop posting in this thread and ruining it.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I've reported this tool for trolling but if a few others can also perhaps the mods might get him to stop posting in this thread and ruining it.

Respect x
Why have you got such beef with the fact I think the casuals were just a bunch of vain, pansy insecure bunch of bullies who prided themselves on materialism?
It's embarrassing that people in their 40's and 50's still haven't grown up yet to see how sad it was having groups such as the Casuals.
They went about whacking people who wore scarfs. British Culture? more like a load of idiots looking for a fight. What's new?

Edit: I think you might be looking back with rose tinted glasses. No one really talked about them at the time.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Respect x
Why have you got such beef with the fact I think the casuals were just a bunch of vain, pansy insecure bunch of bullies who prided themselves on materialism?
It's embarrassing that people in their 40's and 50's still haven't grown up yet to see how sad it was having groups such as the Casuals.
They went about whacking people who wore scarfs. British Culture? more like a load of idiots looking for a fight.

*sigh*

Once again you edited the ENTIRE post to make it look like you're not trolling when you are. So I've joined Buzzer in reporting you.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Why has this taken off?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
*sigh*

Once again you edited the ENTIRE post to make it look like you're not trolling when you are. So I've joined Buzzer in reporting you.

I haven't edited the ENTIRE post. My edit was me adding the last sentence to my comment (big whoop). But go ahead make your little complaint.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I haven't edited the ENTIRE post. My edit was me adding the last sentence to my comment (big whoop). But go ahead make your little complaint.

Your original reply just said 'Respect x'. You added two paragraphs and they changed your post to an attempt to get back on topic. Unfortunately it's a topic you clearly know nothing about.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I have a theory, completely unscientific, that there is something innately aggressive about the British. We're a chaotic bunch of people and on one side we're capable of brilliant original thinking giving the world great art, music, science and literature but the flip side is we're world class at being chippy, violent b*stards. Add to that the island race mentality and that's the reason why we were so effective at building the biggest empire the world has ever seen - it gave an outlet for all the aggression. The baby boomers were the first generation of Brits not to be called up to war and so they looked for the bloodlust within - hence the mods and rockers in the 60s and footie ever since.

It's why I think there are still footie firms nowadays despite the risks attached to it. Governments and the police will never stamp out footie violence completely because the violence is part of who we are. Go to any high street on a Friday night and you'll see it come to the surface.

I'll get off my soap box now....

I agree with this, I'd also add that a lot of lads in the 50's and 60's grew up without Father's and also went through the immediate, tough, post war years perhaps making them both tough but also experiencing less discipline.

getofftheropes

bossa nova
Sep 4, 2009
brazil!no littlehampton
Being a kid it was all lois cords (of various colours), ellesse, farah, fred perry, lyle and scott, sergio tacchini etc. Potters, Vokins and there was one in churchill square by the back near Tesco that sold the lois cords. I read a magazine article "shopping at stuarts" the casuals port of call in London.

As a young man i used to travel up to Stuarts too get sergio tracksuit tops,nice little shop.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You've never understood the fascination with fashion cults? It's no different from goths, mods, punks, teddies, trustafarians and a million and one others. Each have their own slang, style of dress, rituals. Just so happens this fashion cult is more attached to football than music or politics.

And no doubt some wag will post "pwoppa nawty" within the next 10 posts. Green Street is NOT an accurate portrayal of how casuals behave, talk or even look like - it's a caricature that's been grossly distorted for entertainment, it's how the film industry works. It's the equivalent of saying that all motorbikers are like their film portrayal in Easy Rider.

Good post, and a good thread started by Paul & Shark,
Shame some mug is f,,,king it up, not sure why he is called the Truth as he talks BS.
I would love to join in but have a very busy day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I agree with this, I'd also add that a lot of lads in the 50's and 60's grew up without Father's and also went through the immediate, tough, post war years perhaps making them both tough but also experiencing less discipline.

I'd go on to add we have the perfect weather for it. I'm not kidding, the British climate is ideal for wanting to make you dress in noticeable clothes and run around a bit in them or sit inside playing and listening to music or reading and writing. Or all of the above.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Your original reply just said 'Respect x'. You added two paragraphs and they changed your post to an attempt to get back on topic. Unfortunately it's a topic you clearly know nothing about.

The Casuals were football hooligans who had a reputation for hitting innocent fans who were wearing scarfs.

Why would i want to know more? I doubt you talk about Chavs in the same breath? Both the same thing.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'd go on to add we have the perfect weather for it. I'm not kidding, the British climate is ideal for wanting to make you want to dress in noticeable clothes and run around a bit in them or sit inside playing and listening to music or reading and writing.

True. I don't know a huge amount about casuals but am quite interested in the gangs that sprung up in London especially. A lot of teenagers making use of the "new districts" that grew up out of aftermath of the blitz, drawing themselves new boundaries and protecting them in gangs. Don McCullin (who went on to be the renowned war photographer) has some great photographs in his book Unreasonable Behaviour, of the early street gangs that he started off his photography career photographing.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
The Casuals were football hooligans who had a reputation for hitting innocent fans who were wearing scarfs.

Some maybe...but certainly not all.

In my book a genuine chap has no quarrel with a normal fan - anyone who does isn't genuinely into the scene.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Edit: I think you might be looking back with rose tinted glasses. No one really talked about them at the time.

Really are showing yourself up now. You are either fishing, or you weren't there.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Tell me more about that 'reputation'?

You speak utter shit

Considering you started this thread, I'm surprised you didn't know they had a reputation for hitting 'scarfers'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here