Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being a Brighton manager

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is not a job that any currently succesful manager is gonna want, so what makes you think that we are going to attract a better manager than the one we've got?

One promotion, one season of staying up against the odds, one season of relegation when the heart of the team has been sold and not replaced is MM's record.

I hear Danny Wilson's name. Who did we beat in the playoffs? Where are MK Dons in the table?

Ian Holloway - nutter, no thanks

Stan Ternant - sacked by Burnley, failed to keep Gillingham up

All people with no history of doing well with no money, how the feck are they gonna do any better than MM?

I have yet to hear one suggestion that is both feasible and also covers a manager who can work with f*** all.

Last edited:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
I think given the circumstances many connected with MK dons feel danny wilson is doing a brilliant job there. I think hes a good manager, brizzle havent done great after sacking him.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Icy Gull said:
Is not a job that any currently succesful manager is gonna want, so what makes you think that we are going to attract a better manager than the one we've got?

One promotion, one season of staying up against the odds, one season of relegation when the heart of the team has been sold and not replaced is MM's record.

I hear Danny Wilson's name. Who did we beat in the playoffs? Where are MK Dons in the table?

Ian Holloway - nutter, no thanks

Stan Ternant - sacked by Burnley, failed to keep Gillingham up

All people with no history of doing well with no money, how the feck are they gonna do any better than MM?

I have yet to hear one suggestion that is both feasible and also covers a manger who can work with f*** all.

DEAN f***ing WILKINS!!!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
sir danny cullip said:
I think given the circumstances many connected with MK dons feel danny wilson is doing a brilliant job there. I think hes a good manager, brizzle havent done great after sacking him.

Well that's us consigned to also rans, he screwed up at Bristol City who had everything needed, players, crowds and stadium. Not once but three times that is poor, I love Danny for what he did for us as a player but not in the same league as MM as a manager in my book.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Re: Re: Being a Brighton manager

brightonfan_86 said:
DEAN f***ing WILKINS!!!

It's OBVIOUS, isn't it? We should choose someone with no league football managerial experience WHATSOEVER.
Why can't people realise that?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
We have this debate weekly.

The same was said before Adams,Taylor and Coppell came to the club,so to say we couldnt attract anyone is ridiculas.

Just out of interest,what would you rather have...

Holloway - Nutter - Good manager

McGhee - Non nutter(matter of opinion) - SHIT manager.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Icy Gull said:
Well that's us consigned to also rans, he screwed up at Bristol City who had everything needed, players, crowds and stadium. Not once but three times that is poor, I love Danny for what he did for us as a player but not in the same league as MM as a manager in my book.

To be fair his biggest crime may have been not preparing the team properly but if you remember back to before that game they were favourites, their fans were so confident they were going to win they even made that "better luck next year brighton" flag! I can see why he was sacked and agree that maybe he had long enough to get them up but they certainly havent improved without him. We asked and were declined permission to interview DW about the job before MM got it me thinks.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
junior said:
We have this debate weekly.

The same was said before Adams,Taylor and Coppell came to the club,so to say we couldnt attract anyone is ridiculas.

Just out of interest,what would you rather have...

Holloway - Nutter - Good manager

McGhee - Non nutter(matter of opinion) - SHIT manager.

What makes Holloway a good manager?

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Re: Re: Being a Brighton manager

brightonfan_86 said:
DEAN f***ing WILKINS!!!
Is his middle name relevant?We all know who Dean Wilkins is.......:rolleyes:

1066gull

Re: Re: Re: Re: Being a Brighton manager

brightonfan_86 said:
Someone who can work wonders with the youth team, so why couldn't he make the step up to being our manager?
He hasn't got experience.

Its the same with young palyers, they are good but need experience.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks

brightonfan_86 said:
Someone who can work wonders with the youth team, so why couldn't he make the step up to being our manager?

Maybe he could. But the odds would be against him and it would be a spectacularly unwise gamble to make when we need a safe pair of hands to get us back up to the Championship. AND NO AMOUNT OF CAPITAL LETTERS OR SWEARING WILL CHANGE THAT.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
junior said:

Sorry that is absolute rubbish

Adams had got Fulham promoted, been badly treated at Swansea and replaced by Ron Noades at Brentford ( I think) anyway he had a track record.

Taylor had Leicester at the top of the Premiership towards the end of the season before he got sacked 7 games into the new season. Had also got Gillingahm promoted

Coppell was out of a job but had pulled off a miracle at Palace his last season there. Why no-one else had employed him as a manager is a total mystery to me.

We got lucky that those 3 were available, all had good track records.

Holloway, you may be right but nothing i saw from him as Bristol Rovers or QPR manager make me think he'd be the man for the Albion.

There is no-one that I am aware of that compares to Adams, Taylor, Coppell or McGhee not in a job at the moment. I'm willing to be convinced if you can name one though

Last edited:

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
totally agree with you icy gull....as for those who are suggesting dean wilkins, last time we appointed somone of his calibre (ie hinshelwood) we lost a record number of loses in the history of the club. not a good idea for a team looking to get back into the championship.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Icy Gull said:

There is no-one that I am aware of that compares to Adams, Taylor, Coppell or McGhee not in a job at the moment. I'm willing to be convinced if you can name one though

I guess its all about opinions.

If you have a look through all the other threads we've had in recent months on this subject you will see that quite a few people have different ones.

Mine is that Holloway would be a better manager than McGhee.

McGhee may not even be a 'bad manager' and he has achived some good things with the club,i just think he has lost the plot,cracked up,and taken us as far as he ever will (cue arguments about resources etc).

He should have been replaced after Christmas (as it was pretty obvious then he was taking us down),and someone else been given the oppotunity to keep us up.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

brightonfan_86 said:

see m. hinshlewood

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Being a Brighton manager

DJ Leon said:
It's OBVIOUS, isn't it? We should choose someone with no league football managerial experience WHATSOEVER.
Why can't people realise that?
There are plenty of good young managers at all levels that were appointed without any experience.
Personally I'd give him the job until the end of the season, just see how he does. There will be more managers available in the summer.

A gamble on someone who has no experience is better than keeping someone with a proven track record of being shit.

D

Deleted member 2719

butchy said:
totally agree with you icy gull....as for those who are suggesting dean wilkins, last time we appointed somone of his calibre (ie hinshelwood) we lost a record number of loses in the history of the club. not a good idea for a team looking to get back into the championship.

Hinshs record was not that different than MM current record i feel he was sacked far too early, he had no money and many youngster he would have got the team playing football.

Dean Wilkins can not be judged on the fact he has no league managment experience the only way to get any is to is for someone to give him the job.

Dean Wilkins is my first choice.:clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here