Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beijing - anyone been?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Probably going to be stopping off for a criminally brief stay in Beijing next week, has anyone been and got any good tips for things to do/see, and nightlife options for a couple of days/nights?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was thinking more along the lines of a tip about a top VIP nightspot populated almost exclusively with Bond-girl Chinese honeys....

ILOVEBHA

Jul 27, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Went there earlier in the year.Great city.Taxis there are so cheap we got one for a whole day to drive us to the great wall and a return trip cost less than £40 and he waited 3 hours for us there. Hotels are good we stayed at the Shangri la kerry centre and that is where all the american restaurants are and a few bars if you fancy a western night.You must see Tiannmen square at night it is stunning and also the night market at the back of the forbidden city where they barbecue anything you want even dog.Go to the silk market for buying dodgy designer goods,some good stuff there and very cheap.In Beijing there is a lot of building work going on in almost every road they are building hotels and shops ready for the olympics.Lovelly place but you need more than a few days to fit it all in.Have a great time.

aph298

Jul 26, 2004
nomadic
yep, been there, done that, didn't get the t-shirt.

It's a pain in the arse to get around on the underground as everything's in chinese symbols on the maps and hotels have to be licenced to accept foreigners so there are few back-packer type instituions.

The things you have to see are Tiananmen square and the forbidden palace or whatver it's called just off it to the north - there's a nice pic of that nasty man Mao hanging over the gate.

I watched England-Argentina in the 2002 world cup in a bar in the city and the locals were baffled by my shouting, screaming and arm-throwing. everyone spits and stares, but apart from that, a great city!

The Great Wall is a bus journey away if you can make it - well worth doing - try a quieter, less touristy part of it though.
Have fun.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
I went a couple of years ago. The Forbidden City is amazing - allow at least an afternoon. The Great Wall can be reached easily for a day trip (Badaling is about an hour away) and is pretty spectacular. I also went to the old part of Beijing (precious little left) known as Hu Tong and went on a rickshaw tour which was quite interesting. Tiannenman Square is a bit dull but huuuuuge. The Temple of Heaven and the Summer Palace are quite interesting too. I spect a total of four days there and saw all of these things.

For nightlife - go and see a Beijing Opera. Not everyone's cup of tea but an entertaining evening nonetheless. Have a duck dinner - pretty good but a little different from what you would get in your average takeaway in this country

ILOVEBHA

Jul 27, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Went with other half so didnt see the ladies of the night but heard there are a lot about and very cheap.Just ask the hotel porters they can tell you where anything is.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Cheers for that, much obliged will try and do some of that. But don't saddle me with that Rooney-stylee 'ladies of the night' tag...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
aph298 said:
yep, been there, done that, didn't get the t-shirt.

Been there in 1993, did get the T-shirt. The slogan said: "Bei Ging has won bid for 2000 Olgmpis Gaines" (sic), and was above a giant hand giving a massive V-sign.

About a month later the games were awarded to Sydney. Marvellous...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here