Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beggars : do you give money to them ?

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
When I was on a a stag-do in Newquay one of the guys bought a few pasties to give to a homeless guy. He just replied "I don't like pasties"

Pretty sure there's a saying that goes with this.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I used to give when I lived in Brighton but stopped the last few years I was there and helped out in a shelter instead.
Where I am now there are no beggars. There's a chubby Romanian woman, middle aged and clearly hasn't missed many meals who flogs the Big Issue outside Waitrose, another family member of hers also does it sometimes. There is definitely no shelters or hostels anywhere near here so I don't know why or where they come in from but it looks like a scam to me. So in short no, I don't give to beggars.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I used to give when I lived in Brighton but stopped the last few years I was there and helped out in a shelter instead.
Where I am now there are no beggars. There's a chubby Romanian woman, middle aged and clearly hasn't missed many meals who flogs the Big Issue outside Waitrose, another family member of hers also does it sometimes. There is definitely no shelters or hostels anywhere near here so I don't know why or where they come in from but it looks like a scam to me. So in short no, I don't give to beggars.

Yeah you think you dont give to her, I saw you walk past her last week, I then saw her dancing and singing down the street 'gotta pick a pocket or two boys, gotta pick pocket or two' ........................check your pocket watch.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd rather give to a homeless person who might spend it on drink or drugs than have it forced out of me by the booted, suited, licensed bandits in Parliament who will do exactly the same thing (and probably worse things) under a cloak of respectability............

Surely Cameron will pass it onto his rich chums via some tax break or something?

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
No I don't. I give to charity instead. I may pass them a fag or 2 or give them a can of booze - they generally appreciate that more

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
last one we give to in Llanelli, it was a cheese sandwich and a pint of milk + a tin of dog food for his hound, he was a nice bloke who had family problems, what they were I did not ask but it must have been pretty serious

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yep...although when I worked in London, I used to get a croissant and a coffee from pret by London Bridge and if there was a beggar nearby I would get another coffee or a sandwich and give that to them.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
In Gothenburg, there are Romanians manning every single supermarket, begging.

I've had so many conversations with so many people about the rights/wrongs/shoulds/shouldn'ts and I can still say I don't know what to do.

On one hand, you've got these people who have 2 legs, 2 arms and belong to the European Union. Why can they not work for a living? Why can't Romania take responsibility for them. This is not a problem Sweden should have to face. The solution as I see it certainly isn't for me to give them money so they can send it to their family back in Romania. That makes everything worse. Why are Romania even in the EU at all if the population is so poor they'd rather sit on the streets in another country than stay where they are? How did that happen?

On the other hand. If these people are desperate enough to sit and beg all day long in the cold and wet, do they not deserve my small change so they can eat? Why shouldn't I give them a few coins so their families at home would be better off? If they had any other choice at all, would they be there?

I think the main thing most of us struggle with is that we can't possibly even comprehend getting into a situation where begging outside the supermarket is an option for us.

Jan 30, 2008

I've had so many conversations with so many people about the rights/wrongs/shoulds/shouldn'ts and I can still say I don't know what to do.

On one hand, you've got these people who have 2 legs, 2 arms and belong to the European Union. Why can they not work for a living? Why can't Romania take responsibility for them. This is not a problem Sweden should have to face. The solution as I see it certainly isn't for me to give them money so they can send it to their family back in Romania. That makes everything worse. Why are Romania even in the EU at all if the population is so poor they'd rather sit on the streets in another country than stay where they are? How did that happen?

On the other hand. If these people are desperate enough to sit and beg all day long in the cold and wet, do they not deserve my small change so they can eat? Why shouldn't I give them a few coins so their families at home would be better off? If they had any other choice at all, would they be there?

I think the main thing most of us struggle with is that we can't possibly even comprehend getting into a situation where begging outside the supermarket is an option for us.
Romanians....SHOCK SHOCK, IF PEOPLE WANT TO GIVE THAT'S THEIR CHOICE PROBLEM IS IT'S A FULL TIME JOB FOR SOME OF THESE " BEGGARS" :rolleyes:
regards
DR

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Great to see your politicians turning Gothenburg and every one of your cities/towns into some ghettoed version of the Bronx of the 1970's, genius absolute genius.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Is this the petite girl with the cockney accent "alright babe? Fanks darlin" type, very friendly, sometimes carries a little dog?

She changes up £60-70 a day into notes in the betting shops/pubs etc on a daily basis
Yes, sounds like her, often has a dog, she also goes round the cab drivers in the station exchanging coins for notes. sounds like she's on to a winner there, personally I wouldn't give her the time of day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here