Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Before Palace

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Who were our rivals before the 70s thing?

I hear Portsmouth were despised back in the day, but surely that must have been unrecquited, seeing as they've only ever cared about the Stains.

I've also heard rumours that we were none too chummy with Bournemouth and Luton back then. Do any of the board FOGIES know the real truth. Who did we consider our arch rivals and was it recipricated?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Who were our rivals before the 70s thing?

I hear Portsmouth were despised back in the day, but surely that must have been unrecquited, seeing as they've only ever cared about the Stains.

I've also heard rumours that we were none too chummy with Bournemouth and Luton back then. Do any of the board FOGIES know the real truth. Who did we consider our arch rivals and was it recipricated?

AFC Bournmouth mainly! But we were good at hating anyone from London.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Luton used to always bring lots to Brighton and we took a lot up there too. They had a decent side in the early 70s with Rioch and MacDonald.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Or mutual friend KNUCKLES told me that he also heard about our supposed rivalry with Luton Town back in the day. Toe to toe noe shitters OB spoIl al the funn ass usul sum scarfas cort up too wich wuz rong.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Or mutual friend KNUCKLES told me that he also heard about our supposed rivalry with Luton Town back in the day. Toe to toe noe shitters OB spoIl al the funn ass usul sum scarfas cort up too wich wuz rong.

MOH you have been doing that joke for years and are in danger of becoming another Ernest.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Confucious reigns, this is NSC so why doesn't this thread have a Michael Jackson element to it? Could Jackson have been one of our main rivals around the time of Rockin' Robin, which must predate the Portsmouth 'thing'?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
MOH you have been doing that joke for years and are in danger of becoming another Ernest.

Why thank you...flattery will get you everywhere...

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
I think AFC Bournemouth still have a thing about us. It's still in one of their songs, listing the teams they hate and starting with us (though probably because it fits to the song), but I got comments recently down there when mentioning who I support.

Presumably we're still the nearest team they have played regularly - mind you there's Yeovil/Exeter bobbling around the bottom two League divisions.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
In the 60's & 70's we rarely played Pompey as in different divisions most of the time.

Bournemouth & luton were the big ones and this co-incided with the real take off of football crews.

Both luton & bournemouth had steamed to promotion from Div 4 and, on the back of good teams and good crowds both stormed div 3 where Albion were a pretty well supported team. Both l & B brought large mobs down and Albion took large mobs to the away games. Remember, a fair number of these div 3 games had crowds of over 20,000.

Aldershot was a day out. To be rivals in a fan's sence, the opposition had to be there too.

Palace were not on the scene. like Pompey, they were in a different position and there were few promotion/relegation spots in those days so you tended to play the same clubs year in year out.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
In Div 3 (S) we had many friendly rivalries with loads of southern teams.Bit like the coming season,really.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Bournemouth - in the times on MacDougall and Boyer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here